Thread: Do you sell your photographs?

Default Do you sell your photographs?

A question for all you guru photographers out there...

Do you sell your photographs?

I'm looking into this when I go on maternity leave to earn some money if possible. I was wondering what sort of things I would need to consider to sell my photographs.

Things like:
    -Copyright - how do I 'protect' my photos
    -Where to sell them (eg via website, etc)
    -How much to charge?
    -How to print them - canvas, framed, laminated, sizing, etc

Would really appreciate your thoughts and ideas! Thanks

craft markets are a great place to sell!!!

Ben01 Guest

Laranna you could check out some of the online stores that will sell your photographs for you, rather than going through all the hassles yourself.
    Most of them are american and a bit dodgy, but you could try look at
    Red Bubble - it's an australian company based over east. Google the name, i dont want to paste the url here in case i get in trouble.
    Obviously they take commissions from the sales of your works, but considering all you really need to do is upload high resolution images to their server i'd say its a fair deal. All the copywriting/protecting is taken care of.
    Their website is pretty cool and ive read quite alot about it on other forums. I dont participate in the selling on there but ive read from others who have made a bit of money doing so.
    If you really want to go about it by yourself you can msg/email me and i can give you a few good labs/printers to use. Most i use are over east - melb & sydney. They are far better quality than your average print/camera shop, and a hell of a lot cheaper too. (Which is why i send my work all the way from perth to be printed). There are a few in perth, but they are a bit on the slow side. I like my stuff within a week, and neither of the 2 labs can do that for me. Yet i can send express to sydney on a monday and have it back thurs/fri the same week.
    As for copywriting your images - well they are automatically owned by you of course, but the best way to protect your images from being reproduced illegally is to only upload low resolution images to the net. As most quality printers print at 250 - 300dpi, a 72dpi image on the internet will come up rubbish if printed by a thief if you know what i mean.

Anyway HTH
    Good luck with it.
    Last edited by Ben01; February 26th, 2008 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks Ben! I actually came across Red Bubble the other day and have been looking around the site sussing it out.

I've never had any of my photos professionally printed because I haven't found a good printer/lab. Would be great if you can email me some of those lab/printer places you use (my email is in my profile - I notice you don't yet have enough posts for me to send you a PM).

Thanks for the tips!

Ben01 Guest

No probs i didnt think about that...silly me!!
    Just emailed you a second ago

Thanks again Ben, going to check it out now