Thread: Any babies out there with Caeliac disease?

Default Any babies out there with Caeliac disease?

Just wondering if there are and if so, how was it diagnosed? What sort of tests do they put them through?

Since I have coeliac disease, I know lots of babies/kids that have been diagnosed with it.

I am going to cheat and inside of typing it all out, here is a bit I found on the net.

It is important to see a doctor if you are concerned your child has some of the signs of this disease. Other, more common causes of these signs (such as infections) need to be looked for first.
    Your doctor may do some blood tests and poo tests to help sort this out.
    If coeliac disease is likely, the main test involves taking a biopsy of the lining of the small bowel. This means getting a very small bit of the lining of the bowel to look at under a microscope. To do this, an endoscope or thin tube is passed down to the childs stomach through the mouth. This is done with a light general anaesthetic, and is not likely to cause any problems.
    Does this help? Need any further info?

Thanks Nell... just going off something the GP said this morning. As we were discussing Matilda's infections she's had in the past 3 months and how all viral infections have turned into tonsilitis she wants to do a poo test to rule this out...also because Matilda hasn't ever had a formed poo, and apparently thats not too normal, because she should have at a younger age. Also because I have food sensitivity with nuts and other allergies to foods she wants to rule out coeliacs disease and lactose intolerance...(again with the lactose, we've tried it once...)

oh that biopsy sounds scary, [-o< that we don't have to go that far!!!

katanya Guest

hmm I hope that it doesn't come to the biopsy Christy? Can't they do a colonoscopy on baby?? (up the bottom) seems less invasive than down the other way? I have an irratiable bowel and they were going do one on me to test for crones and coeliac, I think by memory there is blood tes they can do to test for if they are "likely" to have it if that doesn't come back positive then they wouldn't even go for an invasive testing like a biopsy..

Melinda Guest

Yes I believe there are blood tests that can be done to start with.....I had a whole range of them done myself several years ago.

Christy good luck with Matilda's test. I guess its good that they are looking into why she's having these non formed poos and why she has so many infections.

yeah thats what I think, at least they are investigating things... well poo test done today, so it will be a few days before I hear anything... I've decided to be really positive and hope that all the answers lie in her poo

katanya Guest

I hope they get to the bottom of it

Seriously though it is better to be aware of these things, there are heaps of foods in gluten and dariry at the supermarkets as you are already aware avaliable through the supermarket in these varieties