Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspergers/Autism/Sensory Integration Chatter

We're having trouble with teeth atm. Wilhelm has 2 teerth growing behind his baby teeth....he is totally freaking out at the thought of the 2 baby teeth coming out.

I got told to take him to the dentist...yeah RIGHT I can see it now....one look at all the drill's and the smell of the place and he's be out of there, screaming and holding his ears.

MBP - hair cuts are the worst! Xander's hair grows so fast he needs to have it cut at least every 2-3wks. It generlly gets donw every 6-8wks :-) We have found a really nice hairdresser - it's actaully a just cuts. I spent so long taking him only to have him throw such a tantrum even before it started that I got sick of making appointment. Anyway wandered into justcuts one day and bam - great hairdresser -uses scissors not the clippers was super fast and had a bucket of toys for him to play with, we had a few tears but not too bad. Next time went there, same lady - thank Godand now they have a portable DVD player - I have a movie addict so no more hair cut issues, we even got the trimmers to tidy up the back and it was OK.

Maz - oh no about the teeth - Xander lost his first tooth at school last year - apparently it was pretty horrific! I had been grooming him for the even as I could see it was really loose, hanging out at a strage angle. So funny as you see other kids his age, wiggling their teeth at every opportunity and he didn't even realise it was loose :-) Anyway fell out at lunch, he got sucha shock he swallowed it and of course all the blood. Apparently ended up in sick bay for nearly an hour trying to calm down - wish they had rung me! We are off to the dentist wed in fact just for a visit as I realised the other day eventually he is going to have to go. We are taking the DS with a brand new game, our own toothpast - Xanny can't stand the burning mint flavour of most stuff and lots of bribery :-) All the best for your visit.

Oh meant to say we got home from the photos - got some nice pics even though Xan wasn't what I would call cooperative :-) He loves playing in the wet sand so that helped to calm him and he was so exhausted form the weekend he fell asleep in the car ;-)

****GROWL****

I worked 30 hours on the weekend... I work 12 hours tomorrow... we leave for Brisbane on a plane on Wednesday morning.

HOW THE F@#$&(* am I supposed to be able to do this??? DH is staying home tomorrow to "help". But that means I have to leave a list for him and then double check when I get home because if I forget to write down "DS charger" he will forget it and we all know how that will turn out. His mum is having us over for tea tonight because his brother is in town 1 night. I'm not even packed for tonight, let along tomorrow and then WEdnesday! FARK (and I don't even swear.....)

Oh Christy - sleep is highly oer rated right :-) We did a similar feat recently, I put all the important stuff in the suitcase as I thought of it so go get it out now. Then I bought a lot of stuff I forgot like toothbrush, hair brush pj's when I got to brissie

Alex doesn't like having his hair cut either, you can't use scissors around his head, so he gets it clippered when it gets out of control. My mum didn't believe me that that I had to almost have him in a headlock to have it done, so she offered to take him to his last one ... ahem ... he was in such a state, they had to leave and go back later. I'm sure the sound and feel of the clippered can't be much fun and he can't stand the hair falling on him, he has to pick it off and he won't wear a cape or smock, even the Thomas Tank one. The DVD player sounds like a good idea.

We had our second of four paed. assessment visits today. The first one had a lot of puzzles and pictures and today had a lot of toys and playing. At first he didn't want to play, but once he got warmed up he was good for about 30 mins until he started asking to go home. She had a pretend party with a playdough cake and a doll - sing happy birthday, cut the cake etc.

I think she called it something like Griffiths assessment - has anyone heard of that?

Barbie-up - could you take on of his shirts with a high coller? Yes the DVD player is good and I keep brushing the hair off with the brush. He still hates it and it must itch him like crazy as he is out of sorts until he has a shower.

Never heard of the Griffith assessment - sounds interesting though? Have you had any feedback about what it's testing/looking for?

We made it! We flew from Sydney to Brissy today. Yes I took my child on the plane and you know what? She was perfect. We spent 10 days preparing her, we listened to cd's daily and then in the airport and on the plane. We brushed her at the airport and played squishing games, we had a new toy that I knew she would love. And 2 new colouring books. So Matilda was perfect, Jovie was awful!!! She screamed for around 60 minutes out of the 90 minute flight her ears were crapping her. Ah well.... my "different" child who we expected to scream, was perfect, but my little gem of a girl was a righteous turd. Anyway, we are here at our friends house preparing for a wedding on Sat. I think Matilda's been amazing today.

Saram - We saw a paed. OT last year who said he had a sensory processing disorder. She said it was lucky it was picked up so early and talked about him being on the spectrum, but did use the 'A' word. We saw a pead. when he was two and a half who said that she did not diagnose until children were three, but she wrote mild ASD on the centrelink form.

There are a lot of little odd things about Alex and I don't know if its SPD or ASD or something in the middle, but I know that he's not going to be able to deal with school without help, both now and when he is there.

Just thought i would join here, not for me as such, but for my BIL. Hes 8 years old and has just been diagnosed with Aspergers Sydrome. We always knew that something wasnt right but always put it down to a phase. My MIL is trying her best but i dont think she knows alot about it. Are there any books or something i can get for her???

Hollye, its an overwhelming diagnosis at the best of times. Anything by Tony Attawood is good.

Christy - well done on the flight, hope it continues to go well for you, sorry to hear Jovie had ear issues - ouch.

Barbie up - It will be interesting to hear what the outcome of the assessment is, sounds interesting how they are testing all the different elements. We went through a similar process of riding up and down the spectrum - I think that is part and parcel of these awesome kids.

Xander is continuing to hae a rough time, took nearly two hours to get to sleep tonight, he just could not get still. Lots of deep pressure/sensory seeking and oral seeking - ick Looking at getting him some chew tubes or something - his fingernails are so chewed down - they are red and inflamed and he is licking eerythiing - tables, the car and seatbelt, trolleys, his sister - Has anyone bought any big OT equipment to hae at their house? My OT has a hammock/swing called an airwalker that Xander loer and I found this net swing that looks very similar but can only seem to find it in the US? Anyone got any good sites they could point me towards for big sensory stuff in OZ?

Saram I just did an OT order through something like the sense shop. Its due to arrive tomorrow! I bought 3 chew toys (Matilda licks or chews everything and at school she chewed up 4 pencils on Tuesday so I'm putting one in her pencil case). I also bought some blowers and stuff.

For the big stuff... I haven't bought anything like that yet. I'm making an A3 size wheat bag because she loves sleeping with mine on her belly, so I thought if I make a bigger one & attach arms & legs it can be her cuddle buddy for bed. Like having a weighted blanket.... but she hates having anything on her feet at night so this way she can be more free

Hi all, is so great to read all of your stories which describe Jackson to a tee most of the time!! Is not an easy ride hey!!

Jackson was diagnosed with an ASD at around 2.5 and has since been more definately diagnosed (at 3.5) as having Aspergers because of his rapid improvement in speech, so we were really happy with that!! He is doing extremely well, I think in part because we got onto it so early and he has had intervention since the time he was 3 - is almost 4 now.
    He is mild, but every day is still a challenge, he has food issues as in he doesn't like anything and won't try anything new, he varies between 3 meals that he will eat for dinner, so he gets a different one cooked every night.

He is a toe walker and we are debating if he needs OT or not, he will 'walk on his feet' as soon as we tell him to - so think it may just be a matter of keeping on him, would be nice to get him out of it before he starts school so he doesn't have one more thing that will set him apart from the other kids. What else?... He has some sensitivities to sounds, he doesn't like any loud, sudden or high pitched noises. He has an obsession with Thomas the Tank Engine that seems to have backed off a bit lately to the point where I can actually take him to a shopping centre and he will wave goodbye to the toys without screaming until he vomits, so that is fantastic!!!

You were talking about haircuts..Once of Jackson's major fears. He would get so distressed he would bite his tongue until there was blood pouring out of his mouth. We took him to a children's hairdresser in Armadale that have TV's installed in all the benches and the kids can choose what they want to watch. Of course Jackson chooses Thomas, took about three visits until he was comfortable enough with a lovely lady that he would let her cut his hair without a tear. Still not happy, but he allowed it, and actually looked forward to seeing her! Then the last time we took him about a month ago, found out she had resigned and he went crazy, was screaming, violent for the first time ever, hit and kicked both me and my mum, was very upsetting to see him like that and I definately will not wear liquid eyeliner next time!! Not too sure where to take him next time now, another month or so to think about it!!

Ok, that is the short version of my complicated little boy - LOL. We are at the point now where as hard as it can be, we are learning to embrace his disorder because it makes him who he is and I can't imagine him not being the eccentric little boy he is, cracks us up most of the time!!

Hi Min! The early intervention really helps. We found with M getting into the OT was the best thing we could have done for Matilda's Auditory processing issues... its been life saving. We went on 2 plane flights in the past week & she was pure gold. Jovie on the other hand went hysterical and vomited on the way home.... ah well.

Hi Min and welcome! Sounds like you and DS are doing a great job. Another one here a fan of OT's it's amazing what they can acheive.

Thanks Christy looking inot that site now. Have found a place in the US that ships reasonably to OZ

Hi gals, I am placing an order with Pacific Pediatric Supplies (google them) if anyone wants to add to the order just pm me or email at sarah @ natural parent dot com dot au. We are getting a net swing and a body sox as well as some little things.

ohhh I will have a look Sarah. The chew T I bought Matilda is amazing!!! Its come in handy the last 2 days.

hey girls.

Well i have a few questions for you all regarding my BIL (hes 8).

He has the same issue with his hair. When it is being cut he shakes uncontrolably (sp). Its really daunting for him. I have been cutting his hair coz most of them time he wont let anybody else do it. He is getting a little better now but he used to not even wet it let alone wash it (still doing the shaking thing when its done). That was another problem, he would only wash it if i did it.. got abit hard when they were 4 hours away! but his mum says hes getting better at it now because i took it so slow with him. Will he ever get over the hair issues???

another thing he does is his clothes. He wears his pants really high and any shirts must be buttoned up right to the top, same with jackets. He has been told when he has no shirt on that his pants have to be under his belly button. I worry, coz it looks like he choking but he wont undo a button!

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast