Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: choroid plexus cysts

Default choroid plexus cysts

Hi,I had my 19 week u/s today and they detected choroid plexus cysts. Just wondering if anyone else has had these in their babies. They can disappear on their own, but of course I now have to spend the next 20 weeks in absolutel fear that something is wrong. Any info would be appreciated xo

katanya Guest

Meg, I have never heard of them, did they tell you what they were? Big :Hugs: to you, I hope they do disapear on their own! Not great news from a scan

The worst part is that no one has spoken to me about it. I had the scan and then came back this afternoon to pick up results. I was told originally to go over results with my referring Doctor. So I have been left to decipher the report on my own, thus the fear. I have done alot of research this arvo on the internet and it seems that in almost all cases if nothing else is wrong, they just disappear. It says nothing else is wrong but I would have liked someone to go through it with me. I rang my cousin, a midwife, who was a great help, and she suggested ringing the genetic counsellor on monday to ease my worry's. I have midwife appointment on wed and will be making sure I get another u/s. Apparently they should disappear by 26 weeks. Fingers crossed.
    Certainly dampens the excitement of finding out the sex. I just want a healthy bub xoxoxoxo

katanya Guest

that is terrible to leave you to know SOMETHING is wrong but not what it is..I hope you get to see someone to expalin it ASAP!!

Melinda Guest

What exactly are they Meg?

Oooh, and you found out the sex????? Do tell (if you want to talk about it that is.......)

THey are pretty sure it's a girl!!! That's veryexciting!! I wanted a girl (however a boy would be a pleasure as well, and now this has happened I can't believe I even cared)...
    The cysts are apparently common in 2% of women (too small an amount to make me happy) and disappear mostly on their own. IF accompanied by another problem (eg clef lip, heart probs etc) it is a sign of Trisomy 18, which is the syndrom other than Downs. Because i have no other probs (at least that's what I THINK the report says) and because my NT scan put me in the lowest percentile for Trisomy, it is likely they will disappear. I just can't believe no one talked to us about it. I am lucky my cousin is a midwife, and she had done some research recently, so was full of info. She said it is most likely to disappear. I just want to hear the doctor say that.
    Anyway, there is not much I can do, so Im going to have to try to be positive. I will be ringing around on monday (including the Dr who wrote the report) to find out where to go from here. They say they don't usually recommend another scan, however I need to know, I think 20 weeks wondering would be pure hell.
    Thanks for the support. xoxo

Melinda Guest

So what body part do they relate to Meg? Sorry for the questions duckie, I'm just interested to learn a bit more about them.

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE GIRL!!! I know you really wanted a girl, so I'm stoked for you!!! YIPPEEEE!!!

It's in the brain. The report said that everything else in brain is fine. Also said heart and abdominal wall are fine (these are two signs of Trisomy 18), so fingers crossed.
    I am over the moon about my girl!! Yes, I did want a girl, but now Im feeling a little foolish voicing that when all I want is bubs health. Certainly all in one day I feel a stronger bond than ever and I just want her to be well. xo

Spoke to a Dr today, and Im pretty reassured for the moment. Will be requesting one more u/s before birth though.
    Has anyone got Cosmo pregnancy? There's a girl in it who writes a pregnancy diary, her baby is Milo. Anyway, I just had a look and at week 18 when she has her scan, she actually has the same thing as my bub. The Dr tells her "don't worry" and she manages the rest of teh pregnancy quite stress free. So I was pretty impressed to see someone else with the same thing, and her baby was fine. She also had something else wrong as well as the cysts. It's definitely to do with being able to see too much on u/s these days and the OB who rang me actually said, its' because of that we find out too much these days that in the old days, no one would have ever been aware of!!
    So thanks for listening. Would still like to hear if anyone is or has been in the same sitch. It's 2% of women so Im sure someone on BB may have been through this!! I will update when I know more and maybe after the next u/s. xoxo

Melinda Guest

Hi Meg,

I was wondering if it was related to the brain or not to be honest. A friend of mine, whose first little boy was born prematurely, also had a cyst on the brain. I can't recall her actually saying this is what it was called, but the situation sounds very similar (this is why I didn't mention it until I knew it was related to the brain). She didn't find out until after he was born as they did some kind of scan (she said they routinely did it on premmies?). Anyway, they told her the same thing....not to worry, as they usually disappear by themselves without any problems whatsoever (and it did in her little boy's case....he is now over 2 years old!).

It would be the same thing I think Melinda. They can last after birth and cause no problems. Of course most baby's don't have a scan after birth so no one ever knows anyway. This is the frustrating thing, that they can obviously be so harmless, and hopefully in my case will be. I just need to know that there is nothing else wrong. My midwife was furious that no one explained anything to me!
    I am seriously thinking that if I have another baby (big If) I would forgo the 18 week scan. A few of my friends did that as they didn't want ot know either way if something was wrong, and at least they had worry free pregnancy's!! And our parents never had this technology. I can't imagine at this stage I'd want to let go of my baby, so I would've been better off not knowing at all. Anyway, too late. At least I'll get another u/s. Always nice to see little bub xoxoxo

Melinda Guest

No, that's right, most babies don't have scans after birth, so it's unknown as to whether or not they have them, but it is quite common. Despite how common it is, I can imagine how frightening it is too! I know my friend was understandably freaked out about it too!!

My lovely midwife rang me today and has talked to an OB and said it's totally normal and I have to stop worrying. However, she said she thinks I should have a scan in 6 weeks or so to put my mind at rest. I will do that and just double check my girl is ok in there. I won't pay too much attention to the actual cysts, like you said Melinda, they can be there after birth, but just to see everything else is still ok will be nice. And to double check it's still a girl!!!!!

Melinda Guest

That's great that your midwife spoke to an OB about it for you. I know how worried you have been, and it's pretty poor that someone didn't speak to you before now......but at least now you know not to be worried. And yes, having another scan will be great to set your mind at ease, and just to check that your little girl is still doing well!!!

I'm glad that you got to hear the reassuring news from a professional Meg.....makes a world of difference doesn't it!!

Just an update. I had my scan today and the cysts had disappeared. Everything looked ok, so here's hoping to a very healthy little girl!! Thanks for your support xoxo

Thats fantastic news meg!! =D>

Great to hear it Meg.

katanya Guest

Just read this Meg..I am SO happy for you!!! I hope things continue along wellin your pregnancy!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast