Thread: Coeliac in kids

bushbaby Guest

Default Coeliac in kids

My niece is 3 and just diagnosed with coeliac (not even sure if this is the right spelling). Anyone out there know of a child this young with it, and how have they managed? She is doing well now that it has been diagnosed but the mother is stressing over the cost of food and how to go out with her.

Yes my niece has it and she is now six. She was diagnosed at a young age too.

My sister is also a coeliac (they were all diagnosed at the same time) so the whole family basically changed their diets and went gluten free. It doesn't cause a problem to them now because they are used to it, they know where to go to eat and what they can have. I think it is a big adjustment but once it is made, the family will cope just fine.

There is a lot of info out there on the web about it. I know my sister found it helpful when she was starting out. There are also some members on BB with coeliac disease who may be able to help. Hopefully some of them will see this post.

I have coeliac disease and am happy to answer any and all questions. I never go out to eat food, which is a blessing in disguise really as it means no junk food - which has gotta be good for you.

There are ways to manage things and please post if you have any specific questions but Melbo is right - the internet is a mine of info.

Is coeliac always inherited? The info I have says it is, but I'm not sure...

Ray, I think there IS a strong genetic component from what I've read. I don't know if this is always the case though.

I think there may be a lot of people who are sensitive to gluten without being full blown coeliacs though. Maybe these are the people who have developed the sensitivity through repeated exposure, rather than being born with it. In that sense it might be like most other allergies.

There are 2 main groups of people, people that have coeliac disease and in those cases there is a gene linkages. I have coeliac disease because someone in my family has it, although no one has been diagonsed, we think it my mum's side of the family. Although both my mum and dad have alot of trouble with gluten and wheat, they are in the 2nd group of people - those are intolerant to gluten and wheat. Which is happening more and more. The are not officially diagonosed as coeliacs, but they cannot handle too much of anything that has gluten and wheat.

Because I have it, there is a strong case Matthew will have it too and his kids even if he doesn't. We haven't tested him yet as he isn't showing symptons but we have been advised to test him sooner rather than later anyway.

Does this help Rachel? Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks Mel & Nellbe.

I think its much more likely to be a wheat allergy or some sort of intolerance, and that info is really helpful

in my travels of reading about CD I came across 2 ways you can have it. 1, its in the family, so passsed on that way or 2, a traumatic/stressful event (illness, major surgery, pregnancy etc) can trigger it.