Thread: DDH x-ray review... how often?

Default DDH x-ray review... how often?

My friends DD had DDH at birth. She was put into a brace early on and was given the all clear a few months later, she had a review not long after she was released from her brace and was told to have an xray to review her DD at 12 months. That was done and she was given the all clear. Now 12 months on she has recieved another letter from her GP to take her daughter in to get another XRay done...

How often will they need to continue with follow up xrays? Should she be expecting this every year? Can DDH regress? She came to me upset because she thought it was all over and done with as no one told her that this would be an ongoing thing after being given the all clear. Any answers for her would be very appreciated

Default DDH x-ray review... how often?

Dd1 had a check up 6 months after the brace then (18mths) 2 yo and then just recently about 3 because she said her hip was sore. The next is in two years at 5yo, not sure how often after that. She keeps getting the all clear, but I would rather get her checked, it's a review to see how her hip is developing as she grows.

Hi, our DD1 didn't have DDH but she has hypermobility so her hip development has to be continually checked.

She had 6month, 12 month, 18month and 2 year x-rays and will have another at 3 years. These are developmental ages for hip development.

Hi, Not sure if this will be helpful or not. My daughter was born with hip dysplaysia (that wasn't treated) but we now have 6 monthly xrays to monitor and in between if she is having pain, visual deformity or excessive clicking in the hip.

I think any bone issues should be monitored regularly particularly during stages of high growth eg young children and puberty.

I hope she doesn't stress about it too much, the doctor will just be keeping an eye on it to ensure proper development of the bones.

Thank you for your replies. I sent my friend the link to this thread to look at

Is very normal to keep checking, my DD had DDH was in a brace, out of brace at 6 months, x-ray at 12 months and we have another one at 18 months, one of the reasons they keep checking is that it takes a while for bone to form, so with my DD at 12 months they thought the cartilage was all ok and hip in right position but not enough bone had formed yet to clearly see it all on the x-ray so they want to check again at 18 months. When she was first diagnosed I was told they would probably X-Ray every few years until she has finished growing.