Thread: Hyperinnsulin/Hypoglygemia

sydneymamma Guest

Default Hyperinnsulin/Hypoglygemia

Mason was born via emergency c-section due to sever fetal distress. As a result of being stuck in my birth canal, he ended up with perinatal asphyxia,shock and head trauma. When he was 3 hours old they tested his blood sugar, this was low.

To cut a long story short, he produces too much insulin now and is on Diazoxide to control it, aswell as cornflour (like a low GI) in his night bottle. This conditon can be serious, he can have seizures, coma, heart attack just to list a few things. His sugar levels have to be tested after more than 6 hours sleep.

The endocrinologists say he could have this for the rest of his life. AS I didnt HAVE gestational diabetes with him, the cause of this is a direct result of his distress (hormonal)

Has anyone heard of this condition? Some support would be wonderful!

Hi Donna, Sorry to here of Mason condition. I don't know anything about this, but I can certainly be there for you for support. My daughter has Cystic Fibrosis, so I know how important it is to have support. Is this like a diabetes type of condition?

sydneymamma Guest

it is the opposite of diabetes. Mason produces too much insulin and diabetics dont make enough.

His body just doesnt regulate the right hormone.

He was weaned off meds at 4 months, then at 11 months he woke up all puffy and lethargic, sure enough, his sugars were low and in july he ended up in hospital for 6 days

The doctors have said while he appears normal, they wont know if the low blood sugar has caused any permanant neourological damage

Im so sorry about your daughter