Thread: I think my son has Funnel Chest

Default I think my son has Funnel Chest

When DS breathes a deeper than usual hollow forms beneath his sternum. I mentioned it to my MCHN and she agreed but said she doesn't think it's serious as he has good colour and nothing was mentioned in his history. She said however i should mention it to my GP when I see him next.

I'm not overly concerned except than after doing a bit of online research it seems that the condition does often get worse as they get older.

Does anybody else have a child with this issue?

Last edited by Bathsheba; March 8th, 2008 at 12:29 PM.

Sorry Bath Ive never heard of it but I hope Niall is ok

I have looked after a few kids who needed to have what is called a Nuss Procedure to fix this - but that doesn't happen to all kiddos, in fact my cousin had this, and she is fine now - her GP advised her to take up swimming, and you wouldn't even notice it now.

The only real thing I think that you could be concerned about at the moment is his breathing. If he gets unwell, you should get him checked out, but other than that it doesn't cause too many problems for most kiddos.

Let us know how you get on!

Thanks girls I've read about the Nuss procedure and hope it doesn't come to that even though apparently it has an extremely high success rate. Like I said, his heart rate and breathing have never been a problem, infact the opposite: when he was in utero my carers always commented on his good, regular, strong heart rate. Apparently boys can become extremely self conscious about it and start to hunch over etc so I hope that doen't occur. I'll fill you in after I see my GP.

GP said he does have it but not to worry too much... he's going to keep an eye on it himself and if he thinks it's getting worse over the course of the next year he'll refer us to a paed. He doesn't think it will need surgery but if it does then the earliest they operate is 2 years apparently. I'm happy with his opinion but there are other good GP's in his surgery that I can ask for a second opinion at any stage.

I hope Niall doesnt get any worse Bathsheba....

Sounds like the GP is onto it too!!!

Update: It doesn't seem to be getting any worse, or any better... but his health is excellent so i guess if it ain't broke then don't fix it! I wonder why it happens though (funnel chest) I don't think his case is hereditary... no one on either side seems to have it. Could it be a calcium deficiency? He has the finest bones of my kids.

Bath, I think it's pretty unlikely that a breastfed bubba would have a calcium deficiency. Your body would deprive itself of calcium before reducing the amount in your milk.
    It's probably just one of those things - that means no blame and no mummy guilt (and that's an order :P )

Ta Chloe He was born with it so it went wrong probably quite early in his development. I had cholestasis which played havoc with my mineral levels during pregnancy... and even now i have imbalances (thyroid) that mean i could be calcium depleated. If I was unknowingly hyperthyroid whilst pregnant....

BUT I agree, it's probably just one of those things... i'm sure it's just cosmetic and that everything will be fine.