Thread: Medically necessary circumcision???

jgibbo Guest

Question Medically necessary circumcision???

Hi all,

I hope i'm posting in the right spot, sorry if I'm not. I did see a thread on Circumcision, but thought this may be appropriate here.

My son Ethan is going to be 3 years old in April, he is not circumcised... yet! Basically what's happening, and always has happened, is that his willy swells up, like as if you were starting to blow up a balloon, just before he does a wee. And then when his wee does start coming out, then his willy goes back down to normal size. It doesn't hurt him, as far as I know, he has never complained anyway. We took him to the dr about it, maybe 6 or 9 months ago, and the doc had a look and said his foreskin does look a bit tight, and that he may need a circumcision. He said he'd refer us to a paediatric surgeon, but I didn't want to go straight into that, and just asked the doc if we could wait, and see what happens. Maybe it would fix itself?

Anyhoo, it still swells up, and I've put off toilet training him, because, well I don't know why. I keep thinking, do I go see the surgeon? Will he need a circumcision? Will he be better off having an operation on his willy while he's still in nappies? Or better if I toilet train him first, then give him the chop?? lol . sorry, i know it's not funny!

Just wondering if there's anyone else out there who has had to have their son circumcised for medical reasons, or if there's anyone out there who knows more about this. I don't want to put him through the pain, especially now that he's old enough to like his willy! But at the same time, I don't want to leave it, and then it get worse or something!

Any help is much appreciated, thanks all!

Julie

Mummy to Ethan 21.04.2004 and Ella 03.11.2006.

Julie, my now 4 year old was having problems with a tight foreskin too. It actually got stuck behind the head of his penis when it was retracted one day. Poor little man.

I too saw a Dr with him about it. I was told to leave it alone and hopefully it would get looser as he gets older and of course as he plays with it. Well, Noah has decided that now he can find his "little man's" head. He wil often whip it out and pull back his forskin and say hey mum I founf his head. I don't go off I just say, Oh that's nice hun, now put him away and wash your hands.

My point being, that quite often what is deemed too tight will loosen over time and without surgery.

Fingers crossed to you and your DS that his willy can stay intact.

Oh as for the TT thing. I would think it would be better for him to be out of nappies when he has the op. That way he has no nappy rubbing on it. KWIM.

Goodluck either way and I hope all goes well.

I have a friend I worked with who's sone had a medically required circ, but that was from an infection point of view. The poor little guys was on and off antibiotics for about 9-12m with UTI's and in so much pain.
    He was about 4 when it was done I think, and was just susceptible to them.

On a side issue - my XH used to have a really tight foreskin when we first started together (he was about 21 at the time) and it was painful for him to have sex the first few times. It loosened up with time, but I guess because of the nature of his beast his mother never really took the time to show him how to keep it clean. He used to smell....... alot. So I guess it will loosen up with time, but its important to ensure he knows about the hygiene side of it throughout his teenage years otherwise he might get a cranky wife one day who decides shes not that attracted to his smell beneath the sheets

Oh Fi, yucky for you hun. Eww on the stinky d!ck too.

Well lets just say that a certain type of act wasn't very popular in this house unless a shower had been taken!! And even then.....
    But all is better now, I have a lovely circ'd member which I much prefer, but it would be interesting to "try out" a clean un-circ'd model.

Anyway - this is probably not what you guys want to think about with your children, but it is certainly a reason that I have considered getting a boy done at birth. Medically required is different of course, but as I say I have only heard of one little boy NEEDING it done, and he really, realy needed it.

jgibbo Guest

Thanks guys! Great help as always. Trish, when does the whole retraction thing happen? Forgive me if i sound ignorant, but I have no idea about willys. My husband is circumcised, and as far as I know, I've never seen my son's willy retracted?! Is that when the foreskin gets pulled back? So his foreskin could be too tight to be retracted maybe, if I've never seen that happen? I dunno. I have no idea! Maybe i need to get the doc to have another look at it, or just get the referral and get the surgeon to see him.

And Fi, :eek: Ohmigod! I really really really felt sorry for you as I was reading your post! I couldn't imagine anything more disgusting! How gross is that?! lol Yuck. I'm so glad you don't have to deal with that anymore! Gross! I've never been with a guy that wasn't circ. I'm glad in a way now!

And as for the TT, yeah, I thought he'd be better off without nappies, so it was fresh and cleaner, but the same as Jillian I thought that with nappies on, it would be cushioned, protected in a way. But i guess i can't wait too much longer anyway, he'll be 3 in april, so I should do it this summer.

Thanks so much again guys for all your help.

The whole retraction thing sort of vary's between children. I "sort of" encouraged Noah to find his head. I just knew that his foreskin was rather tight, especially after having 2 other sons. I figured if he could start to retract it, we might miss out on a trip to the surgeon too. I really wanted to avoid that at all cost's. Especially as he is old enough to remember.

jgibbo Guest

Thanks for that Trish. I guess I'll just wait a bit longer, toilet train him, then take him back to the doctor. See what he thinks.

Thanks again everyone. much appreciated.

Julie

Mummy to Ethan 21.04.2004 and Ella 03.11.2006

I hope that there's no need for surgery... I was dating a guy about 4 years ago, who had a circ at 20... very painful for him, and even worse for me... but hopefully its something that will change as he grows