Thread: Osteogenesis Imperfecta (OT)

Default Osteogenesis Imperfecta (OT)

Hi there all,

I'm wondering if you or anyone you know has ever been pregnant with a baby with OT? (whether the pregnancy was lost/terminated or carried through)...
    I'm looking for any ppls real life stories just to help me through me own personal situation...

Just to give u a brief outline of my situation - I'm currently waiting on some lab results (which may I add I have been waiting on since December 08) - I was advised to terminate my pregnancy just before 16wks as I was told my Beautiful son had a long list of problems/ abnormalties and we agreed to a number of test to be performed on his tiny little body to see if they could find out exactly what when wrong and or a condition to see if it was a genetic thing.... We have been desperately awaiting these results as we would like some closure and also to see if we are going to be able to carry on and try again for another lil bub....
    Dr's have been a little baffled as we have a very healthy 2yr old...
    So I have just been told that the results are looking towards - either our son had osteogenesis imperfecta or possibly a lack of Potassium or it was just a 1 in a million case that won't happen again....

But I still have to wait another few weeks to find out definately which of the 3 it is...
    so just thought i would ask the question about osteogenesis imperfecta to see if anyone can shead some light for me...
    thanks much appreciated

I just thought I would let you know that there are differening degrees of OT, from fatel to minor. Both my mum and sister have OT, My mum sussesfully carried my 5 full term pregnancy, my sister was born at 41wks gest. I do know that if the baby in uetro has a high level of it then a csec is reccomended as a vg birth risk breaking bones etc.

OT is also a getic dieases so you or you dh would have to have people in the family with it. or Carry the gene at least, all of my 3 preg where checked for it when doing ultrasound as they can pick up shadowing on bones etc. due to family history.

Hope this helps you. Also my sister has had 2 kids of her own and neither show signs of it. Though it can show up later in life to.

Question OI

Hi,
    I'm 24, I was born with Osteogenesis Imperfecta type 1. I am currently 10 weeks pregnant after 2 previous miscarriages. All is going well . After genetic counselling, it was determined that OI had no connection to the previously losses.
    I was just wondering if anyone has information on the effects of OI during pregnancy.
    I did not realise it was possible to test for OI with ultrasound. Is this for all types or just type 2?
    My mother has OI and went on to have 4 children, all with OI type 1. My 2 sisters both have children, 2 with OI and 1 without.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks.