Thread: Psoriasis

Default Psoriasis

Hi All!

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about psoriasis - particularly in babies?

My GP has been treating Hannah's skin condition as eczema, but it hasn't been responding as well to the cortisone as should be expected, and I went to see him yesterday because I was concerned about using it for more than a couple of weeks on her skin. Hannah has also been on antibiotics for it - due to some of the patches looking very red and angry, with the potential to become infected.

The GP now thinks we may be dealing with psoriasis - which is apparently rare in young babies, but not unheard of. The patches of redness are only on her tummy and back and seem to be very definate patches - with the rest of her skin looking normal and healthy. They are also kinda scaly/scabby looking.

Poor Kid. Must itch like anything.

I have a referral to a paediatric dermatologist, and managed to talk my way into an appointment in Bris next Wed (the 12th - otherwise they're all booked up until February!!!)

Just wondering if anyone has seen this before? Neither Tim nor I have eczema or psoriasis (and both are thought to be genetic).

Sorry i don't really know anything about it but i hope Hannah's skin clears up really soon!

How did you go Juliette?

How did your appt go today Jules?
    I hope you were able to get some good advice on how to treat her skin?

Hey All!

Hannah's appointment last week went well. The dermatologist doesn't think it's psoriasis- just a particularly weird pattern of eczema. He thinks it was probably caused by my hormones at birth (which explains the unusual pattern) and got infected somewhere along the line. I have a stronger cortizone cream and a topical antibiotic cream...a week later, her tummy and back are looking much better! The good news is that the dermatologist doesn't think it's allergy based, and said that she'll more than likely grow out of it.

I am most relieved!

That is great news everything went well with Hannah.

Lachlan has little flare ups every now and then. Nobody in our immediate families had ever had it. I was given a prescription for a cream which was $40 for a small tube when he was younger and it worked a treat but too expensive. He had another flare up a couple of weeks ago on his arm and I brought medicated honey for eczema, psorisis and dermatitis at Coles and it has gone down within the week.

Love

Hey Jules,
    Good news thats its not psoriasis... And glad to hear that it seems to be clearing up a fair bit!
    Hopefully she will grow out of it soon.

That's great news Jules....BTW - Hannah's skin did look SO much improved between when I saw you at the Nationals three weeks ago in comparison to last Saturday at the baby shower!