Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sarah's hip..I'm nervous.

Super news Layla I can feel your relief from here.

best wishes michelle

Great news Layla!

kirsty Guest

That's great news Layla & here's hoping you get more good news & a date that the harness can come off at your appt on Friday.

kirsty Guest

I too keep popping in in the hope that you have posted to say that the harness is gone.

Hope that all is well with you guys.

I know Sarah does have the harness off now it has been off for a few weeks now.

layla Guest

Sorry guys, I've been so busy with school holidays and everything I've had no time for BB! #-o
    Sarah's harness has been off for a few weeks now (thanks Michelle ).
    We saw the ortho surgeon a week after the scan and she said it was fine to leave it off for good.
    We are going to have Sarah's hip X-ray'd next week and hopefully that will show that her hip is now stable! Then it's regular X-rays 'til she's about 4 years old.
    So, fingers crossed (again) that it's good news next week. The doc who did the last scan said she'd only ever seen one go "bad" again, in nearly 30 years in the job!

Layla your story has given me some hope, my 3.5 week old daughter Leah got fitted with a Pavlik harness yesterday - it was such an upsetting experience for me, I cried when I made the appointment, on the way to the hospital and at the hospital - just felt so helpless. Leah has a shallow left hip, she has to wear this harness for a minimum 12 weeks but am thankful for ypur story that being in a harness does work - thank you

kirsty Guest

Layla ~ such wonderful news about Sarah's harness. Hope that all goes well with the x-ray next week & it can stay off for good.

Amanda ~ I'm sure your little girl will be just fine. Hugs to you while you go through what I'm sure is a bit of a distressing time for you all.

layla Guest

Thanks for all the support everyone.

Amanda, Sarah was 3 and a half weeks old when she went in to her harness too. We got two different opinions from different ortho surgeons, the first one said 12 weeks minimum, the next one said 6 weeks. I think some doctors are more keen to check progress and get things moving faster. Will Leah have regular scans to see how things are going? Sarah had a scan after 4 weeks and that showed everything was fixed so the first doctor was way off!
    I know exactly how you feel about the harness, I cried too. I really hope that you are coping okay with it all and that it isn't bothering Leah too much. The time will pass so quickly and before you know it it will all be over.
    I found the hardest things were finding nice clothes to fit over the harness, and getting her in and out of the car seat was awkward. We didn't go out much! But it's all worth it, it really does work and it's much easier to fix a shallow hip now than in a year or two.
    If you want to talk please feel free to email me anytime. 8-[

Shannon, I'm so pleased that Jess's hips are fine. What a relief, one less thing for you think about and for her to deal with! \/
    It does make me wonder how many of these babies with hip problems would correct on their own if left for a while..... :-k I guess it's not worth taking the risk in most cases though.

layla Guest

Oooh, Amanda, I just checked out Leah's website, GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Layla, we think she is gorgeous too!!
    Your experience sounds promising, I would be over the moon if it was only something like 4 weeks she has to wear it. I will definately be pushing for regular check-ups thanks for the tip because at the moment I am really not sure how often she is to be checked. Does Sarah have to go for check-ups every now and then just to make sure it is all still ok as she is growing?
    I was supposed to go back to the physio today but they cancelled the appointment (physio was sick) so going back on wednesday but I think that is more to make sure I am coping ok with her in the harness and that it is fitted correctly after a few days.

And I totally agree about trying to find nice outfits to go over the harness - Ive got so many cute clothes that she cant wear at the moment .

Thanks again...

amanda

layla Guest

Amanda, Sarah is having an x ray today to check her hip is still growing the way it should. After this she will have two more x- rays before her 1st birthday, then one a year 'til she is 4. So they do keep a close eye on them.
    I really hope that Leah doesn't need to be in the harness for the full 12 weeks. I think they tell you that to prepare for the chance it will take that long. I've got my fingers crossed for you. I do think we were particularly lucky though. The doctor said she's only had a few bubs out if it after 1 month, most are 6-8 weeks.
    Is Leah allowed out if her harness for a bath every day? I used to LOVE that 1/2 an hour a day but I got sad and angry when it was time to put it back on her. I made DH do it every night 'cos Sarah cried when she had to go back in it.
    I am panicking a little actually about the x-ray today, what if it's not good news??? .............I can't imagine having to put her back in a harness now.
    We see the doctor tomorrow for the results so I'll let you know how it goes.

Im nervous for you too about the results of the x-ray, all fingers crossed for a good result!

Unfortunatly Ive been told that Leah's harness cannot come off at all, not even for bathtime (my favorite time of the day when she was all fresh and clean and smelling yummy!) so she has to be sponged bathed - which is quite awkward as there is really not much skin showing on her tiny body its mostly all straps! I can undo her leg straps to give the skin a clean but I must keep the leg bent in that position so not to straighten it.
    I will ask the Physio tomorrow about follow-up x-rays after the harness is removed - you've been a great help and have given me lots of questions to ask in regard to how things are going to be done, thank you.

Cant wait to hear your (good) news!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12