Thread: Sensory Integration Dysfunction

Default Sensory Integration Dysfunction

Today our OT assessed Brendan for this.

And I am not sure how to take it. Whilst i am happy that we might have our answer... I'm scared as to what the road will then be like.

Does things change? Is there anything special that happens or do you just keep up with OT, Speech, ect?

So those of you with older children, particularily school age ones, has this affected them in school? Did they have to do special needs classes, or were they able to do mainstream?

Any input would be great.

Sally you've got so much on your plate ATM, and I bet this hasn't helped you at all. I know Christy's Matilda has issues with this, so I will make sure that she sees this and she can pop in and tell you what she knows.

Hi

are they assessing Brenden for hyper (too much sensitivity) or hypo (not enough/ doesn't feel pain) sensitivity?

take care,

kate

Thanks Trillian.

I think assessed him for Hypo. Because he does a LOT of things which I think 'ouch' but he doesnt seem to feel.

My DD1 has Sensory Integration Disorder aka Sensory Processing disorder as well. She is almost 5 and is doing kindy part time. Some things she is hyper sensitive to like auditory processing and somethings she is hypo like proprioceptive etc. She had a full assessment in August and we started working full time in February. Prior to starting to work on things, Matilda screamed 6-8 hours a day. She was uncontrollable and incredibly frustrated.

She's still questionable for Asperger's syndrome, but for now we are focusing on the SI issues as well as her multiple food intolerances and allergies.

We got to the OT weekly now, just got off fortnightly visits. She is now able to regulate her emotions 90% of the time. Its amazing.

At school its hard but we found an alternative school that suits her. It has 18 students, so the noise issues aren't as bad. The teacher helps by letter her chew on her specific chew T to help with her oral factory issues. She has velcro stickers under her desk to rub her hands on in order to hit those proprioceptive issues. She is allowed 2 breaks to go on the swings inbetween breaks. She also is allowed to go to the library for 10 minutes after lunch before class starts in a dark room with no noise to settle down. Before and after school we do sessions at home. Before school we do "brushing" and compressions on her arms & legs. We do core muscle strengthening before school. After school we give her crunchy snacks in the car, listen to special OT calming cd's and then do brushing when we get home. She has been amazing. She's the only kid at school who hasn't had an emotional meltdown since school started. She's very extremely shy, but she's coping well with the small numbers of kids.

Although sensory processing isn't part of the autistic spectrum, there are heaps of similarities amongst parenting the kids. I'm happy to help and chat anytime.

My DD1 has Sensory Integration Disorder aka Sensory Processing disorder as well. She is almost 5 and is doing kindy part time. Some things she is hyper sensitive to like auditory processing and somethings she is hypo like proprioceptive etc. She had a full assessment in August and we started working full time in February. Prior to starting to work on things, Matilda screamed 6-8 hours a day. She was uncontrollable and incredibly frustrated.

She's still questionable for Asperger's syndrome, but for now we are focusing on the SI issues as well as her multiple food intolerances and allergies.

We got to the OT weekly now, just got off fortnightly visits. She is now able to regulate her emotions 90% of the time. Its amazing.

At school its hard but we found an alternative school that suits her. It has 18 students, so the noise issues aren't as bad. The teacher helps by letter her chew on her specific chew T to help with her oral factory issues. She has velcro stickers under her desk to rub her hands on in order to hit those proprioceptive issues. She is allowed 2 breaks to go on the swings inbetween breaks. She also is allowed to go to the library for 10 minutes after lunch before class starts in a dark room with no noise to settle down. Before and after school we do sessions at home. Before school we do "brushing" and compressions on her arms & legs. We do core muscle strengthening before school. After school we give her crunchy snacks in the car, listen to special OT calming cd's and then do brushing when we get home. She has been amazing. She's the only kid at school who hasn't had an emotional meltdown since school started. She's very extremely shy, but she's coping well with the small numbers of kids.

Although sensory processing isn't part of the autistic spectrum, there are heaps of similarities amongst parenting the kids. I'm happy to help and chat anytime.

Thanks Christy.

Will pop in to see the OT on Monday and might have a few more questions, depending on outcome.