Thread: What can they do??

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Exclamation What can they do??

Hiya,
    I just need some help/suggestions on what to do to help my parents with my sister..

Okay firstly a tiny bit of background..My sister (now 15) was in a car accident when she was 8mths old, which resulted in her having part of her brain cut out because it had died. They didnt think she would survive, but she did, and they also didnt think she would be able to walk, talk etc, but she can. She just has a learning difficuilty, and her mental age doesnt fit her actual age.

My Bro (17) and i have always been relied on to be at home to make sure she is safe, but now i have left home and im having a bub in 4 weeks time..and my brother has a full time job. My mum still relies on my brother and i to be there for her before school, and on the holidays. Which is okay for me now, but in 4 weeks time ill have a baby and cant get up at 6am to be at their house to make sure she gets off to school, its hard enough to do that now being so tired all the time. My brother just cant coz he has work 9-5 every week day..but has to leave at 7am to get to work on time.

Both my parents need to organise something for my sister, coz my brother and i arent always going to be here. They either need to get another carer, or possibly start (yes START) to get her to be more independant (getting ready for school, locking the house, getting on the bus, looking after herself more).

After school isnt a problem any more, she will get home and let herself in, and is okay till my mum gets home.

I also feel my parents need to get my sister to be more social. She hasnt gone to visit her friends at home out of school, or they havent come to our house. She doesnt even talk on the phone! She is scared to. My sister hardly talks, and we know she can, she just gets away with not talking. I just feel she has been wrapped in cotton wool for too long and they have left it too late to start teaching her all these things.

She can get herself something to eat and drink, and go to the toilet. Those things arent a problem. Its just getting ready for her school bus on time, locking the house, and communicating with people, in person and on the phone.

Do any of you have any suggestions on what i can suggest to my parents that could help?

Is there a group or organisation relevant to your sisters disability?
    Maybe try the local council to see if they offer any assistance, or if they know where to start for a bit of help.

Uum, maybe your parents may have to employ a 'carer' or some type to help her off to school in the morning?

I don't really have much experience here, just the first things that popped into my head..

Good luck

Butterfly_Princess Guest

oh yeah i forgot to mention my mum does enroll her into a disability child care on the holidays, that runs 9am - 3pm tuesday to friday, but mum picks out the activities that she thinks my sister will enjoy, so she doesnt go every day.
    But like school some one will need to drop her off and pick her up..

Mum did have a carer for her once a week when she finished school earlier than normal while my bro and i were still at school, but i dont think my mum was very happy with the company..Ill dos ome research to find any other companies.

In Melbourne she would be eligable for HACC hours through the council. Ususally it isn't a lot ( about 3 hours a week) but maybe they should look into this. Just call the council and ask to speak to someone in the aged/disability department.
    Also does she have a case manager? as she may be able to get some funding through there for a carer. The carer could be working on the goals of getting her more independent.

Or you could call an organisation such a Yooralla to apply for funds. Again the carer could work on the program of trying to get more more independent.

I work in this field, so PM me if you would like more details, and I can see what I can find out for you in your area.

Hi there

As someone has already mentioned, it would be worth giving Yooralla a call. Their Home First program looks particularly relevant, see here: Yooralla HomeFirst Service

But if not, I'm sure they could advise you on other services that you could access.

HTH

have you tried VSK (very special kids)? they provide all sorts of free care services like this.

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Thank you

I think VSK is more for kids with terminal illnesses so not necessarily day-to-day support - used to work for a disability charity. But things may have changed since then!

could try different child care services, maybe a centre or family day care, even though the age cut off is usually twelve, often special needs kids are in care until they finish school. one carer in our scheme looks after older kids, but we're in NSW, so that's no help to you directly.

I can't suggested anything in the way of help for your sister but just wanted to add. Please Make sure you are clear & up front with your parents that you can no longer be the one there in the mornings. Don't agree to any "just this once" etc because it will just open the door to relying on you again.
    Hopefullly your parents will remember how hard it is to have a baby in the house & not expect too much of you.

VSK is for all kids with disabilities. My husbands niece has a severe form of a genetic condition like cerebral palsy and is profoundly disbaled and they do heaps with respite care, after school care and all that jazz cos both parents work.