Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Baby Led Solids Chatter #3

Hi all,
    I ended up trying sweet potato sticks (baked in the oven) and banana. She seemed to really enjoy the sweet potato sticks but even though she had a couple of good sucks on that banana I don't think she was really into it. It is a fair bit messier then the puree but I've heard that will get better? I'll feed her avacado (mashed) tonight and then give her more food to feed herself with tomorrow!

Yep - it does get better. Jett was very messy in teh beginning, especially with the banana, but it just takes time to work out what pressure to hold it at. He could hold a banana and eat it without mess about 2 weeks after he started. The more practice the better!

Also if she didn't seem to be that into it, don't worry, just keep offering it. Sometimes you will need to offer it 20 or so times before they actually pick it up and eat it.

Also if she is used to being spoon fed she might find this method completely foreign and just put it in the too hard basket and expect you to feed it to her. So stick with it, the more practice and the more different tastes and textures the more fun she will have!

Thanks MT.

I'm still doing a mix of spoon feeding and BLS - do you think that matters?
    Today we had broccoli - and that WAS messy but she seemed to really like it. Tomorrow I think pumpkin, if I get a chance, or maybe some toast? Hmmm.

You are doing a great job Dollyroux. It is fine to spoon feed and offer finger foods - whatever works best for you is the way to go.

Thanks MantaRay! It's nice to get some positive feedback that it's okay to mix n match so called 'stlyes' of introducing solids. In some ways taking this approach - even though it's only been a few days, has made me more relaxed about giving her food. Her Granny was having some cheese today and I just let her try some, where as I think if we were just on pureee/mash I wouldn't have.

Hi all,

Just really here to sort out my thoughts I think.
    So far BLS is going well - I'm finding it hard to adjust my mind set to 'just let her explore' from 'get food into her'.
    I'm also finding it hard to offer her what I eat - espcially for breakfast - as I usually have muesli. So I've just been cutting up fruit for her instead.

As far as dinner goes, her bedtime is 7:00 (with a breastfeed at 6.30) so she's not eating dinner with us (I'm usually offering it to her at about 5pm). I had been roasting veges seperatley for her, but I'm just going to start making extra for dinner and offering it to her the next night.

I'm a little reluctant (sp?) to do BLS when out and about at other peoples houses because I feel that its' not fair to ask them to let her drop food all over their floor! Any thoughts on that or suggestions? So I've just been spoon feeding her when at someone elses house.

I find after about half an hour of sitting their with the food she starts to get grumpy. If I clean it up and offer her toys shes perfectly happy. Has anyone else experienced this - seems like a pretty clear "I'm finished with this food squishin business Mum!" to me.

So far she has attempted - Mango (hard to pick up!), Boild potato in coins, Broccolli sticks (steamed then usually plunged into cold water - quite enjoys sucking the water out of the florets I think), Pumpkin sticks roasted - yummo!, Banana. That's it so far - I want to try her on some meat this week but accidentally ate all last nighs steak without keeping some for her.

That's it for the mo, hope all your little munchkins are enjoying their noms!

DR, it sounds like you are doing really well. It's ok not to offer the same foods all the time. Museli with some EBM or water or even dry is fine for her to have (you can give her a spoon if you are game or feeding her sometimes is ok too), or if you prefer to give her fruit or toast that's fine too. And at friends' houses it's really up to you. If you are more comfortable spoon feeding her there, that is just fine. It's whatever works for you hun - there aren't really hard and fast rules.

As for dinner, that's a good idea to use the dinner from the night before. My first DS was not a big dinner eater for a long time - he would just be too tired. So I did a similar thing - the left over dinner would be his lunch the next day instead. With dinner, it is important to DH and I for it to be a family meal, so we all eat at the same time wherever possible - sometimes we all eat at 5 or 5:30 on a weekend! But it did used to be hard when they were younger and couldn't stay up long enough for DH and I to get home from work. I think it gets easier as they get older.

Introducing meat is a good idea - it is now one of the foods that is recommended early on. GL with it!!

hi guys, if i give my little man (7 months) toast, should i cut it up into small pieces? do you put anything on the toast or just have it plain? thanks

DR - I used to do exactly the same thing with last night's dinner as you are, just keep enough aside as leftovers for her the next day. Makes life much easier! TBH I don't remember not giving her whatever she normally ate when at other people's places, but then, we were usually home close to meal time so that I could get nap time done straight afterwards. You'll find she gets surprisingly good at feeding herself before too long and there's much less mess. It's easier to pick up one piece of potato from the floor than to deal with a mush that's been spilled everywhere anyway. I'm sure most people understand that babies are not the tidiest of eaters as they're still learning.

Ginger - I used to make toast soliders for DD when she was little, so that she could grab them easily.
    Last edited by Jennifer13; September 29th, 2009 at 11:36 AM.

DR- You sound like you're doing great! Our DDs were born on the same day!! I give DD what we're having when I can but turns out it's not actually that often. She has fruit for brekky, maybe a sandwich with avocado or something for lunch or some more fruit or veges, and veges for dinner and a bit of meat. She also tried some ravioli the other day which she liked, I just bought one of the rafferty's bolognaise baby foods and used it as a sauce, very messy!! When we stayed at my mums a couple of wks ago I just kept doing the BLS and during the day when it was warm she even ate outside in her highchair on the grass.

Ginger- I spread toast with avocado or banana and cut into fingers.

ginger i give M toast, i just give her the crusts

About time I came in here. We haven't really formally began solids, I guess. She will have something from our plates to chew on but isn't having any designated meals. She has had watermelon, cucumber, bread, banana, cooked broccoli and carrot so far. She is more into playing with it than eating it which is why rice cereal just isn't working for us (we tried it a few times over the last two weeks) so I don't think I will bother with that anymore.

I'm feeling a bit of pressure because she isn't really having much solids but I figure she will get into it more when she is ready? Just need a bit of reassurance!

Should I just keep going with the bit of food to play with when we are eating or should I be more structured with meals?

JB I think what you're doing is perfect! Take your cues from her, you will know what she needs.

Jitterbug, I started my DD at around 6 months and it took just over a month for her to go beyond playing to actively eating. Something just 'clicked' when she was ready and there was no stopping her! You are doing the right thing by letting her experience the new textures (and the odd taste!) without pushing her into eating the food before she's ready.

i agree with sara and jen!! DD2 has only just clicked about wanting food and is now trying lots of stuff, not that much gets in, but its all about trying and tasting

Quote Originally Posted by Dollyroux View Post

I'm a little reluctant (sp?) to do BLS when out and about at other peoples houses because I feel that its' not fair to ask them to let her drop food all over their floor! Any thoughts on that or suggestions? So I've just been spoon feeding her when at someone elses house.
    Take a plastic drop sheet with you

Dollyroux - I use to take an old baby wrap with me and put that under the high chair.
    I didnt have one friend that ever had a problem with it - even the ones without kids.
    I have forgotten once before and just use a bin bag opened out.

Hi all

I'm a lurker here....DS is not ready for solids yet but I'm trying to get some reading done. I'm sure its been asked before, but I don't have the time right now to scroll through the previous posts velcro baby today. Can anyone recommend a few key quality pieces of literature or evidence around BLS i.e. the why, how, benefits etc. I am predicting resistance from the "know it all" people in my life so I would love to be armed and confident with the right information and use it as an opportunity to educate others that are open to it at the same time.

TIA

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast