123412 ...

thread: Baby Led Solids Chatter #3

Feb 2008
    Country Victoria

try roasting the pumpkin

Jul 2007
    melb

Star bright your son sounds like he is doing well.

My DS still has no teeth but loves arrowroot as he sucks it and it goes squishy and mushy!!

Jun 2007
    Where Chaos is fun and plentiful!!!!

Thanks!

I thought about roasting, but i have heard that when they go dark and cooked from the oven that it can be bad.. is that right? i guess i just dont roast it quite as much as i like it done for myself!! Oh and also- have to wait for my oven to be fixed But i will try that!! oh and with the skin on or off?

And i might try him on the arrowroots too!! I wasnt too confident about doing that incase a big hard bit got stuck in his throat!

May 2008
    ...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

DD was getting bored of the stuff i was giving her, veg and pasta just wasnt doing it for her any more, so she is now eating basically exactly what we have rather than bits off our plate, irish beef stew, chicken rissoto, snapper with mash and spinach, i even made her some meat loaf but i put pepper in it and she doesnt like it...but i froze it and will try it again i a few weeks.

i was wondering.....about how and when little ones start to use a spoon to eat, DD really isnt a fan of the spoon, with yog etc she holds the spoon, i guide it in to the food and help her load up and she aims at her mouth....VERY little goes in and she gets a bit annoyed, she wont let me help any more than i already do! she doesnt really open her mouth big enough for anything to get in...the spoon goes in but everythng on it gets left on the face!! lol it just means that i have to think of only things that can be picked up to give her...she quite likes porrage but have to make it really think so she can pick it up!!
    anyway my question was how and when, if atall, do i teach her to use a spoon or should i just not worry about it for a while.

and SB...i roast off a load of veggies about once a week, sweet potato, pumpkin, potato, beetroot etc i cut them up in to smallish pieces (like a 50 cent piece but thicker) and they nomally hold the shape enough for dd to pick up but are nice a soft inside and she always shovels them in....ive started putting garlic in there aswell for some extra kick....but dont give her the garlic cloves lol
    Last edited by beckoes; April 2nd, 2009 at 02:13 PM.

Nov 2007
    Southwest Syd

beckoes and NJD I wouldn't worry too much about cutlery my DD gets the spoon and immediatly turns it upside down! Lordy what a mess she makes! (Yes Starbright I agree BLS is very messy! and Broc is my DD's fav too)

Hollye
    they get better at banana we started with leaving it in the base but now we give her fingers. A banana naturally splits into 3 strips which are a perfect size. Poor thing with all that vomitting! What a nightmare.

Nettie It sounds like your little one is doing well! Cucumber is great.

kat I'll have to try the avo cruskits! Sounds like a good one.

Feeb arrowroots are a classic.

Jennifer thanks for sorting this thread out and all the helpful info!!

Sami I think we have all worried about the choking factor but I'm pretty sure none of our BLS kids here have ever choked. They gag for sure but not choke. I've noticed when Em gags she brings the food to the front of her mouth and has another go at eating it...gross

Mel Its hard away from home I'm finding out tho we are trying-

We are having a fun time visiting family in SA and shocking them with BLS!(when we can) The looks on faces is priceless. Esp my DH's step mother (she is a PITA) when we gave her multigrain toast she said "what that's got grains in it"...no [email protected] its called multi...GRAIN!
    New food-I gave her some sausage which she enjoyed.

What is ppls opinon on seafood? Fish, shellfish etc? We haven't really tried any yet.

Jun 2008
    in the eye of a toddler tornado

eej I think fish is ok but shellfish still no until they are older...
    we have had a good week with food, we made a beef stew on the weekend and the leftovers have made DD a very happy girl. She loves it!
    Also I tried her on some mandarin today, she absolutely loved it, but she has been having little spews (which is unusual for her) so wondered if it was that. Might wait a week and try again - shame because she thought it was the best thing ever!
    SB broccolini is a favourite here... but she won't eat broccoli - go figure!
    Missymoo I tried that with the banana this morning - Beth just turned it upside down and started trying to eat it from the bottom skin and all!

Mar 2008
    Nth West Melbourne

We tried ravioli last night (no sauce)- HUGE hit

oooh, pixie i might have to try mandarin

May 2008
    ...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

grace has been having the odd spew aswell, very unusuall for her!! but cant pin point any food that would be causing it, she too loves manderins and i thought it was them, so skipped them for a few days and still the spewing!! i made pancakes for her this morning!! OMG she ate so many, i put banana in some and prunes in some. she has also eaten straberries! not allergic and loves them! so put some of them in the pancakes! what a huge hit! but not keen to give them too often cause of using oil to cook them.
    eej...We have given fish...tuna is a big hit and has had snapper. but no shellfish.

Nov 2007
    Cocooned in the love of my family!

Sorry been MIA for a while! Every time I tried to jump on and post BB was having some issues so I just abandoned it all!

SB - We had Arrowroot bikkies before Jett got his teeth. He just loves them! Fantastic teething food! It all goes mushy before they swallow the hard bits!

Bec - We use a spoon, but it is very messy and not always used with accurate aim. I think having the spoon there and helping her load will be enough for now. As for runny/mushy foods, try putting them on something that can be held. Such as toast or even an Arrowroot bikkie or rusk. They can then use them as dippers if they want or just eat the whole lot! Jett loves strawberries too and no allergies here!

Hollye - Jett struggled with banana early on, but now can pick it up and eat it very well with no skin on or anything. It is all about practice and eventually they will learn what pressure to use to hold certain foods. So keep offering it and let her try and figure it out if you can.

Eej - I love showing off BLS to others too! I have even managed to convert a few sceptics after they have seen how well Jett eats by himself! As for fish and shellfish, I have to admit I can't stand either so poor Jett is missing out! A friend gave him some salmon patties though. I would steer clear of the shellfish too for the minute though.

No real obvious new foods here. Jett is still loving his food and starts banging the table or tray if the food doesn't come quick enough. Very cute!

Mar 2008
    Nth West Melbourne

I've had some banana issues today. I thought after all the experiences on here I would give DS a banana, so I cut it in half, took off the peel to about half way down that- so he had a kind of "skin handle". He LOVED it (as he adores bananas), but was actually pretty bad at managing it.

He would break off a big-ish bit and then be unable to manage it in his mouth- too big to swallow or chew or moosh, he just kind of gagged on it and then spit it out. Eventually I put the nana in the mesh feeder bag and he went wild with that. I was just too concerned about him choking.

Anyone had similar experiences? Do they eventually learn how to manage the banana? He is so good with everything else!

Add Sammiejane on Facebook

Aug 2007
    Melbourne

Hi guys been MIA too - was getting frustrated trying to get on here. Havent read all the posts, so soory if i have missed or repeated something

We do seafood here, MJ loves it.
    Saturday night we have Spaghetti Marinara and she Looooved it!
    I will say thought that i dont think she had shell fish before 12mths, but just cos we didnt.
    Oh... well she had prawns at christmas time...

Jessica, yes they eventually do learn how much to put in, MJ is a fan of filling, in mean FULL, her mouth and then trying to chew, its hilarious.

Re the sppon thing, we havegiven MJ the option of sppon or fingers the whole way along, it makes yoghurt REALLY messy as she loves to feel it.
    But recently she has tried using a baby fork and finds it heaps easier. she still reverts back to fingers every meal though, i guess its a new skill and it wil come with enough time and practice

Nov 2007

AmberJ - Yeah we had the same issues with banana in the beginning. But as I said in my previous post he eats it really well now. It is the same with any food, learning all the different textures is a new skill that needs time and practice. You have to be brave yourself which is the hardest thing in the world as a Mum. If you never give them the chance to learn these skills, they will never gain them. All I have done is armed myself with the knowledge of how to handle choking first-aid wise, learnt how to recognise choking over gagging and anytime I get really concerned I take a deep breath and and try to remain calm. Hang in there!

Mar 2008
    Nth West Melbourne

Thanks girls! I sure hope he gets the hang of banana because it is IMPOSSIBLE to clean out of the mesh feeding thing. I think I ruined it.

Feb 2008
    Country Victoria

whats a mesh feeder bag?

Nov 2007

They are a little mesh bag that you put food in and it closes with a handle. Kinda looks like a dummy with a mesh bag intead of teat, but bigger. They're not supposed to put it all in at once!! You can give it to bubs to suck the food through without the risk of large chunks. Good for fruit with seeds and pips! Alot of people put meat in them too.

Feb 2008
    Country Victoria

oh wow.. what are they made out of?? (yes im very clueless)

ETA - just googled.. looks very interesting

Nov 2007
    Murray Bridge, SA

Hey there! I've had BB issues too.. guess it's going around!

My DS is continuing to try his foods. Loves cruskits.. seems to enjoy cucumbers (but doesn't eat much) and still loves his bread & pasta - which is good because we eat a lot of that! Had some apple today too which seemed to go down well.

We've got some roasted pumpkin to try for him tomorrow.. Thanks for the tip Hollye!

He seems to chew up a lot of stuff, but doesn't seem to swallow it. Is this normal? He eventually spits a lot of the chewed up bits out and I'm not sure how much he swallows...

DH made a comment the other day which sums up things - 'Liam insists on feeding himself'. Even with yoghurt, I would load the spoon, then he would take it and put his fingers in it, then direct it to his mouth. So he'd eat most of it, but get it all over his hands and face too! Had an absolute ball!

Nov 2007

Nettie - Jett does the same with all sloppy foods! Sticks his fingers in it and guides to his mouth!! I can't spoon feed him even if I wanted to! Makes for a lovely mess but he loves it!

I wouldn't be too concerned at this stage as to how much he is swallowing. He is probably getting a lot more in than you think, and even if he isn't, because he is under one and presumably getting lots of milk, he will be getting all the nutrition he needs. The more practice he has with the food the more likely it is just going to 'click' one day and you won't be able to find chewed up food anywhere! What do his nappies look like? Just milk nappies or are there little chunks of food in there?

123412 ...