Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Led Solids Chatter #3

Quote Originally Posted by amberj View Post
    Can I ask what everyone's policy is about when your LO throws food on the floor? I have just been picking it up and putting it back on Peter's tray (assuming its not gross or anything). But I think he is starting to do it on purpose, especially if its a food he isn't too keen on at first sight (but he will often try it later if I put it back on).
    My DD had the added attraction of being able to have the dogs come running to 'clean up' after her. We started shutting the dogs out to stop that game!

I don't pick anything up (I let the dogs in afterwards to clean up LOL). If she throws it off she doesn't get it back! I guess if it's accidentally dropped I'd go and get it for her, but that nearly never happens.

We dont give corn anymore, MJ LOVED it but it doesnt love her, every time she has t for dinner (kernals or on the cob) she wakes crying in the night, followed by a sloopy poo in the morning. We have tried to figure out what it was and the conclusion was corn, i think its cos she cant break it down. she lves puffed corn, and is fine with this. Just thought i would let you all know in case the same thing happens.

re picking up food, i use to do it once or twice, now i dont, its a like a game for MJ and usually it starts when she is getting full, so we use it as a cue and wind back the food at that point... If she does it accidently (its pretty obvious here) i give it back to her though.
    Also it depends where we are... at home yes, somewhere else no

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

Loving the recipies! DD LOVES corn its her fave by far!!! We were out having breakfast the other morning and i ordered a corn cake for grace, she attacked it! the people on the next table with a 10 month old who was tucking into a jar of something yellow couldnt belive that she was onlt 8 months and ripping in to the food and feeding herself!!
    re picking up food, she normally has a nice little collection in her lap which are mouthfulls that mis her mouth and i dig those bits out and pop them back on her tray, but she does the windscreen wipper on her tray when shes full and the food goes every where!!! Need a dog! so thats when dinner time is over...or when she starts 'drawing' with the food or rubbing it in her hair! We dont have a high chair unless were out so its not much of a distance in her bumbo for her to pick it up her self if she really wants it back. Or we have one of those phil and teds 'me too' chairs on the table outside and we often have breakfast/lunch out there so if it hits the deck, its gone!!
    We had a tuna sushi roll for lunch! big hit! loved the sticky rice, worried it may have been a bit salty, but it wouldnt be a regular lunch. anyone else given these? do you think they are ok??

I think the sushi should be fine. They're not really that salty until you put soy sauce on them!

I made the mini corn muffins tonight, but by the time they were ready, Peter was also ready for bed. But my hubby and I love them!

Peter also had a quarter of his dad's peanut butter and banana sandwich today (we've introduced peanut butter early by choice). He loved it, although it was kind of funny- I was just about to give it to him when he fell over and clonked his head on the floor. More shock value than hurt, but he started to cry so I sat him up and put and sandwich in his hand and immediately the tears stopped and the food was jammed into his mouth! It was like a switch.

Mia tried grapes today. She loved them. But......... i found i had to mash them up a little as im freaked the whole thing might go down her throat. Am i just being paranoid? is there a trick with grapes?

Ooh, I have that some concern about grapes- interested to hear others responses.

I gave Peter quiche last night and he adored it. He sucked away on the sundried tomatoes like there was no tomorrow!!

I have given Lucy grapes as they are from when she was a baby. In fact, once she was about 18 mths I stopped taking them off the stalks as well and just gave her a bunch.

As long as they are supervised I don't think there is any problem. My DD never so much as spat one out. The only gagging incident we ever had was when she was two and a stringy bit of mandarin got stuck in her throat. She coughed it up and immediately put it straight back in and ate it!

We tried pasta bake today with bolognese sauce and it was a big hit. I used the big spirals and he sucked them to death. Not sure how much went in though. I really feel for Logan, he did his second huge poo today and he grizzled the whole time. He is still going about 4 days between. Does this change once they are eating more regularly?

amberj - when did you first introduce egg? Everything i read seems to be contradictory.
    Last edited by kylieb77; April 24th, 2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added extra bit

kylieb- I wouldn't necessarily take me as a guide, I am a rouge parent. I've already (very carefully) introduced egg, peanut butter, all the things that are potential allergens. The only thing I've held off on is honey, but that will come in soon. Egg was pretty recent, mainly because I just hadn't made anything with egg in a while! This is not a forum for debating the merits of when to introduce food, so I won't go into the why's etc, but I believe I have introduced it before you are technically supposed to. I feel your confusion, though, I've read multiple different things about egg and when to introduce.

Maybe someone else can give you better guidance?!

Thanks amberj - someone can correct me if i am wrong here, but with BLS i think that the idea is to introduce anything to bubs as long as there isn't a history of allergies in your family. If so then you need to be a little more careful. I still might wait a little longer for the egg as Logan is only just turning 6 months.

ive seen in supermarkets.. egg custard, from 6 months. Is it actually egg? coz i spose thats saying from 6 months but my MCHN said the egg yolk from 6 montha and the whites from 12 months. Tho dont quote me on it, it could be the other way around. Im not going to hold back trying Mia with egg, we just arnt big egg eaters. Personally never made a quiche.. mayb i should.. repices anyone???

Hollye I think there was a very recent thread in the cooking section about quiche recipes. The one I made I just threw together 5 eggs, some cream, some milk, some bacon and some cheese. Put a piece of frozen pastry in a dish and poured it all in and baked. Easy and yum.

Hollye - try making them in mini muffin trays - great for little hands

Also - for an easy thing for lunch etc - slice of ham to line a muffin tray spot (normal size muffins), crack/whisk an egg, plop it on top of the ham and a dollop of cream if you like or a sprinkle of grated cheese - cook for 10 mins - easy peasy

We have also introduced everything except honey. BLS is all about introducing a wide variety of foods from the age of 6 months. As for allergies, unless a direct history is known (i.e mother, father or sibling only) then you don't 'need' to hold off on giving potential allergens. Honey is the only thing that is considered to be off-limits until after they are 1.

However there is also the thought that the early introduction of these foods can cause the allergies. So I suggest that you as an individual Mum do the research on both ideas and make the decision that is right for you.

SamiH those muffins look great! Might have to give them a go soon!

Kylie - Jett used to poo every 7 or 8 days when he was solely on BM which then reduced to every 2 or 3 days when he started eating regularly, so don't stress just yet. And the poos are not solid either. More paste like I guess. I guess if you are concerned you could try giving him some foods to help, such as a prune. Hope that helps!

Hollye - Jett has eaten grapes too. I think if they bite and chew to a certain extent then they should be fine with a whole grape, if they tend to suck then perhaps slice in half or at least pierce the skin so it can mush easier.

I read that peeling & slicing grapes in half lengthways helps bubs learn how to eat them. Once they've got the hang of it - stop peeling them, but still cut them. then eventually you can stop cutting them too!

We're turning into Part-Time BLS-ers here. Am still presenting foods, but we're also doing the *other* thing...

Got a recipe for mini tarts (like quiches) which you can make either in mini muffin pans or in patty pan tins (the shallow saucer-type ones).

Mini Savoury Tarts:

250 gms bacon - finely chopped
    1 tomato, chopped finely
    1 carrot, grated
    125 gms grated cheese
    1 onion, grated
    chopped parsley
    1 egg, beaten

Mix everything together. Season with salt & pepper if desired. Bind with beaten egg.

Use puff pastry to line the tins & spoon mixture in (no need to 'blind bake'). Believe it or not this can make 4 dozen if you're careful! Although I've only tried it in the patty pan tins... And they're delicious!

Mmmm made the cheesy corn muffins this morning. Man they are good. Not sure how many Jett is going to get to eat!

i have a question....my dh wants to make these little fish nugget things he makes for dd, just fresh fish of somekind, rolled in flour, the egg then bread crumbs. the only thing is he cooks them in veg oil, not deep fryed but shallow fried...really only a little oil, but i wasnt keen cause of the way they are cooked. i guess they could be done in the oven but he recons they wouldnt be as good. What do you ladies think??

sorry double post, just gone back and read what id missed, we introdused egg a while ago, and she loves quiche, scrambled eggs etc. Grapes she loves, i just quarter them, its her fave part of doing the food shopping! lol. she also isnt alergic to sesame as she has been eating butter on toast for ages and i only realised a while ago that it is made with sesame oil! so thats another one to tick off. hasnt had peanut butter, but i havent eaten it for a while either.
    as for the poos kylieb: i miss the BM poos, they were easy and didnt smell, now every one in a 2 block radius knows when dd has done one!! lol. She has a prune a day otherwise she tends to get really 'blocked up' aswell, i just take the flesh out the skin and she loves it! maybe try that?

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast