Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Led Solids Chatter #3

Well we can 'tick off' peanuts... he had peanut butter on bread this morning and loved it! No reactions at all (no history of any food allergens in our family either) so *phew*.

I reckon the fish nuggets would be alright - as long as they were drained well and the oil was hot when he put them in (they soak up less oil that way)...

Bec - Fish nuggets sound alright to me. But like Nettie said just make sure they are well drained. And also not too small, then there is less chance of the oil being soaked through the whole nugget. But your DH is a chef isn't he? You should be right. And oil is still good for them (the right type of oil of course) as long as it is in moderation. And BLS is all about the wide variety of the food world!!

Nettie - Yay for peanut butter! Good on you for being brave and giving it a go!

Sorry double post but the last one was a few days ago!!

Normally when I give Jett sloppy food like his weet-bix or yoghurt I dump it on the tray in front of him or in a bowl, load up one spoon and then leave him to it. He normally grabs the spoon and sucks off what is on there and then throws it away before eating the rest with his hands.

This morning I did the same thing and as usual he grabbed the spoon and ate what was on it, but then he dipped it in the bowl where some more of his weetbix stuck and used it again. Then he did it again......OMG he is using a spoon! He still used his hands a fair bit but it was good to see the spoon dipping happening!

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

wow, thats amazing MT, well done Jett!! what a smart little man!

Hi all...

It looks like my baby has decided to use BLS lol. He has been refusing his pureed foods & will only eat if he's feeding himself. So I have been giving him watermelon & banana for breaky, cucumber & avacado strips for lunch but last night I tried brocoli & carrot sticks but he couldn't seem to eat them. I think they weren't cooked well enough.

I have posted a thread about this, and about his gaging which I am struggling with. He seems to gag all the time. Not so much with his fruit in the morning but with everything else. I'm really hoping it will stop soon.

DS was 7 weeks premature so his corrected age is 6.5mths. He's been on solids for over a month now but hasn't been a big eater. He's still breast fed & isn't a big feeder there either.

HOLLYE I just wanted to mention that I give BJ whole grapes, but I peel them first. But I make sure they're really really ripe

Hi all I'm new to this thread. My name is Kirra and i've just recently begun the BLS journey with my lil girl Charli (5.5mths) i do have an older daughter Alyssa who is now 4 but she was fed the old fashioned way most of the time.

I'm finding BLD to be a very messy experience but well worth it so far, Charli hates to be fed off the spoon, she just takes it off me and shoves it in her mouth herself and chews on it. lol

Hope to get to know you all and learn some more. I'm sure i'll have dozens of questions for you.

Welcome Kirra and Georgi! Glad to have you on board. The BLS journey is a fun and messy one!

Welcome Kirra!

Have to brag about my spoon victory! I've never been able to get Peter to take his own spoon when I give him yoghurt, but this morning it kind of clicked for him, and he got SO excited about being able to grab the loaded spoon off me and feed himself. Yay!!!

Funny thing, though- he was at my mum's for the rest of the day, and she is not into BLS, so she was trying to feed him custard off a spoon and he kept trying to grab it- hehe. Sadly, she wouldn't let him, so I won't be happy if she's undone my spoon work! Poor kid is probably confused.

Thx girls,

MummyTummy & Amberj, you have some very clever lil kiddies.

I need to invest in a bowl/plate that sticks to the table charli keeps grabbing the bowl and throwing it on the floor so i have to keep it away from her and hand her things for now.

This morning she had vegemite toast which she played with, literally, she screwed it up in her hands and finger painted the table with it, was very cute but very messy considering NONE of it ended up in her tummy. I'm in for a very messy kid eh? lol

What other things could i give her for brekkie???

Kirra, my little man does the same with toast....and pretty much all other food! I was laughing about it with my MCHN and she said some kids are like that and that its probably about needing to like control and subdue the food, and feel like they are "in charge" of it. I'm not sure if this is true or not (I thought all kids crushed food!), but I found it interesting nonetheless. If it is true, I think those kind of kids are ideally suited to BLS! (PS- Charli is really cute!)

Welcome Kirra!

Yes, BLS is messy...

I have a question - what does everyone do at feeding time : strip nude (or to a nappy), put full bibs on or just change their clothes afterwards? I find Liam tucks food in next to his leg so it's both top & bottom that gets filthy... a bib doesn't do much for us!

Haven't tried anything new lately - he's still having weet-bix for breakky and DH gave him some apple as well this morning (but I don't think he ate any).

Big hello to everyone!

I put a bib on Ashlyn and then cover her lap with a tea towel, tucking it under her bottom. Works well as long as she doesn't decide she wants to eat the tea towel.

I discovered a new winner food today. I found it on the back of a Heinz package. I mixed cream cheese with tuna and corn, and then spread it on a crusket. Both the girls loved it. There was barely a crumb left.

For those of you who give your LO fish, how do you make sure there are no bones? DH loves fishing so we do get some fresh fish. I'm just superparaniod about missing a bone.

Captain - I can't stand fish so I have to admit Jett has only had Salmon, and only because a friend of mine had salmon patties for lunch and gave some to Jett. It is something I will get DH to do with him, but I just can't be in the same house at the same time!!

Nettie - I have a big bib that kind of covers everything, but it always seems to shift so he gets food everywhere anyway!! The other things I do are strip down to singlet and nappy, which of course is just cruel in this cold weather, and spread a flat cloth nappy across his body tucked just under his armpits and around his back. Then I put the bib on over the top. I tried a new idea tonight though which seems to be quite successful. I found an old button up shirt of mine and put it on him backwards (remember wearing your Dad's business shirt as an art smock in primary school?) and then rolled the sleeves right up. Worked a treat and then all I have to do is pop it in the wash and I don't care if the stains don't wash out!! I just might have to find some more shirts though!! It covered him, and the Bumbo he sits in to eat.

Kirra - The playing is just the beginning! Eventually it will end up in her tummy! Jett generally has weet-bix for breakfast. Sometimes I heat it in the microwave, sometimes mix fruit puree through it, and sometimes I just put a bix on his tray and pour some milk over it, just enough to soak in and then he can pick it up and eat it with his hands. Oh, and we have a suction bowl too... but it only sticks if you try to pick it straight up. If you tilt it by pushing down on one side like little kids do to look inside it just comes straight off! Just part of it though! With the mushy weet-bix and yoghurt or custard or other such things I either put it in the bowl that doesn't stick, or if it is a reasonably thick consistency I just dump it on his tray and he has a ball dipping his hands in and sucking them. He actually does quite well, but it has taken a bit of practice. I always give him a spoon which I will load for him but let him grab it and stick it in his mouth. And yes, when he is almost finished he likes to finger paint too!!

Amber - Yay for the spoon victory! Pity your Mum doesn't go for BLS. My Mum doesn't get a choice! My way or the highway.... it's my turn to be the Mum!!

I noticed tonight that the mess has been greatly reduced since we started BLS 3.5 months ago. Sloppy foods are still v. messy, but normal foods seem to be making their way in to his mouth with far more accuracy and there is only a minimal amount sitting in his lap at the end of the meal.

Oh, it would be bit cold here to strip naked for dinner - ughh! shameless plug - but the Australian Breastfeeding Association have great "puddle feeders" - they are a bib with sleeves - cover everything and wife down at the end. They have been around for about ever and a necessity for the beginner at solids. Available Mothers Direct

Thanks BARB A friend of mine has one & I was just mentioning to DH last night that I didn't know where to get them from. I'm definately investing in one of those

NETTI BJ actually doesn't make TOO much of a mess, surprisingly. But my trick is to roll his sleeves up, put a bib on, and make the tray to fit snug on his belly, of course not squashing him, but right up close. That way everything that drops goes straight on to the tray. I also make sure the bibs are long so they tuck in under the tray

MUMMYT Thanks for the welcome

CAPTAIN I like the sounds of that recepie. What tuna do you use? In springwater?

KIRRA Welcome too! I'm new to this BLS too. Glad someone else in here will be a little clueless like me I love your name. DH & I have Kirra ready to go for our next bubs name. Byron & Kirra... Sad I know

AMBERJ Yay for the spoon. I haven't tried a spoon yet, but have his rice cereal ready to go for when he wakes up this morning

BJ had a great day of eating yesterday. Not much gagging. Yay! He had watermelon & banana for breaky, cucumber & avacado for lunch then for dinner he had sweet potato & pumpkin which I had boiled to make it really soft. He squished it all up in his hands & had such a wonderful time. I knew he'd had enough when he suddenly started screaming lol.

I am wondering if his dinner upset his tummy last night. Has anyone had problems with these foods? I actually think he ate too much. I loaded up his tray & he seemed to eat most of it. He finished eating at 5.45pm, had some water, then went to bed just after 6pm, though woke up at 8.30pm which he NEVER does. I couldn't re settle him, though he seemed to be burping alot. I think he had indegestion. Could this be right from potato & pumpkin? Or did he eat too much of it?

I'm off to check out Mothers Direct. I think i'll also purchase their BLS booklet

We just used a bib that pulls over bub's head to give good coverage of the shoulders, a fabric one. I would wash them until they were no good and replace. We managed to get cheap ones from the cheapy shops. DD used to drop things in her lap and on the floor sometimes, but was surprisingly not as messy as I expected.

My best cleaning thing was to let the dogs in afterwards to take care of the floor and the bits left on her chair.

LOL Georgi my friend who has a daughter with the same name as my daughter (Alyssa) informed me yesterday that there other name was Kirra, weird huh. I do like my name cause its differnt and not very common.

Usually when i feed charli i take any white clothes off her our house is very warm anyway (like 24 )and just put a big on her, i tried the tea towel in her lap the night before last and she just pulled it off and started eating it. lol. I was just saying to DP the other day i wanna get a bunch of bibs that are like art smocks as i'm forever soaking her clothes trying to get the orange pumpkin stains out

I'm off to checkout mothers direct too

Oh yes...we have a black furry vacuum here too. Very good on the clean up!!

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast