Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Led Solids Chatter #3

I found the feeding coat on Mothers Direct ($19.95). I bought it! I also bought the plastic mat that goes on the floor under the high chair (12.95), plus the Baby Led Weaning booklet. I think these things were really well priced, $10.95 for delivery though.

Well BJ finally woke up at 8.10am. As I normally BF him at 9.30am I didn't give him any food cause I didn't wanna put him off his milk feed. He didn't feed well anyway, so I fed him at 10.30am & he fell straight to sleep. So no breaky for him today.

ALYSSAS MUM Did you check out the Mothers Direct website?

What a day....
    Charli had a piklet as a late lunch and then some potato chips (the actual potato kind not the ones from a bag) and some crispbreads with vegemite, it was so cute watching her lean forward and grab the food, its the first time i've put the tray on, figured until i get a suction bowel i'll just put it on her tray which seems to be working very well for her.

I did look at the site but they dont have those bibs in charli's size so i might wait a lil longer i think i seen something similar in big w???? Took me ages to find them though, are they the feeding jackets under puddle play or something?

Alyssa's Mum I have given up on bibs and just tie a tea towel round her neck! At least there's always one handy when you need one, and they catch most of the fallout...

Yeah they are the ones. Under Puddle play. It took me ages to find them too. BJ wears size 0's so I figured the size 1 will do the trick

How did Charli go with the crispbread? I have cruskits ready to go for tomorrow but not sure how he'll go with them. He tends to load his mouth so full that he can't actually chew.

I tried Ravioli with him tonight.... No good. He gagged & gagged & gagged. I ended up taking the meat out of the pasta & just giving him that. I guess he's not quite ready to progress off his fruit & veges.

We've got some of those bibs, but I find he gets food on his clothes anyway... we got some from Ikea - they've got the pocket at the bottom which is good.

We're going with changing his clothes after a feed. We usually keep him in his pj's until after breakfast anyway..

He had tortellini tonight and after having a suck on it - he jammed the whole thing in his mouth & just held it there for ages! Very cute!

She liked it, its one of the only things shes eating, alot of the time she just wants to chew and not eat, her poor teeth are giving her hell atm.
    Still waiting to give her some brekie, she hasnt had a proper feed since 4am so i guess its just a waiting game, i'm expressing now as they are just so full and she wont drink lil rascal.

I'm not game enough to try charli on tortelini or ravioli yet not til i get my 1st aid cert on sunday atleast then i'll be a lil more confident in what i give her knowing i can handle it if she chokes or something.

How cute Nettie, did ya get a pic? My 4yr old still holds the food in her mouth for ages but thats cause she dont like it. lol

Nah - no pic, but he does it all the time. He did it with spaghetti and I think I've put a pic on my gallery with this one...

He made a huge mess on a walk with Dad today - ate a biscuit and smeared it all over the pram! Guess I better go clean it up! *sigh*

Oh no Nettie... Lucky you said that after I bought the bib, otherwise I may not have bought it. Oh well. At least his clothes will be somewhat protected.

ALYSSAS MUM Yeah the ravioli wasn't a big hit. He just couldn't chew it properly. That's great that you're doing the first aid course. I held a first aid certificate for 10 years as I use to teach aerobics, but I let it expire a few years ago. I am looking at getting back into it so I'll have to do the first aid again. Though someone here advised that I look on the Raising Children website as they have a clip on first aid for choking. It's quite good.

This thread is very quiet.. Is it always like this????

I gave BJ a Cruskit with Avocado yesterday. OMG they rock. What a great idea that was. Thanks, whoever had mentioned it.

I am just wondering if anyone gives a timeframe for bub to finish eating. Yesterday it took BJ 45 mins to eat 1 cruskit. I kinda feel like I'm tied to the house cause he's taking so long to feed. If I had given him more, I'm sure he would've eaten it.

Though he wasn't too keen on dinner last night. I gave him mince meat with pumpkin & sweet potato. He ate some, but just wasn't happy to be in his chair. Not sure if that means he didn't like it, or he just wasn't hungry. Hmmmm

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

DD used to be like that,, meal times would take an hour sometimes, not cause she was messing around, just slow, examining the food lots and eating little mouthfulls.in the end, if i had to go out, id just pack some up and wed eat the rest on the run! shes pretty quick now...infact sometimes i have trouble keeping up with her she eats so fast!! lol
    DD wasnt keen on mince for a while, i think its a bit hard to chew for her, maybe a bit small and 'gritty' , makes my mince sounds horrible lol.
    It does get a bit quiet here sometimes!!

So, DDs 3rd and 4th teeth are just about to pop through the gumsand she has been off her food for a few days, gave her a corn thin yesterday and she cried cause she couldnt eat it!! so we have just been having yoghurt, scrambled eggs, sweetcorn, nice soft and easy to eat stuff....im sure as soon as these top two teeth are out she will be into a whole different selection of food.

OH, and she has tried Peanut butter,i was eating it the other day and she was getting so annoyed that i wouldnt let her try any, she has had most the other high allergy things with no effect and no one in the family has nut allergys so i gave her a tiny bit on a crust...then a bit more. has had it a few times over the week i think quite likes it!! so its so great to know she doesnt have any allergys.

A question i had, i know they cant have honey till over one but does that include if it is used in cooking or in a sauce....for example, carrots baked with honey or a honey and mustard sauce or in muffins etc??

The honey is because of bacteria, so I reckon if you heated it - it would be alright..

Gave DS some pizza & garlic bread last night (because that's what we were having) - he just had crusts with some tomato sauce on it and he licked all the sauce off! Don't think he tried the garlic bread (didn't give him any of the butter)...

BJ just DEMOLISHED some Zucchini slice....

Here's the recepie

3 Zucchini's grated
    1 carrot grated
    1 onion grated
    1cup cheese grated
    6 eggs
    1 cup self raising flour

Mix Ingredients, bake at 180 degrees for 40 - 45mins

You can slice it into fingers so baby can grasp. It is better once it has been cooled & refridgerated as it binds together better.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

DS loves corn thins (like rice crackers but made of corn and yummier) with philidelphia cheese with garlic and herbs.

He loves Garlic bread and pizza crust.

loves bits of chicken breast, loves plain pasta with grated cheese.

Doesnt like bannana or avocado

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

like the recipe, i was just thinking about what to cook this week, last week i made muffins with bacon, semi-dried tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. she loved them
    went to a friend for dinner and she ate more than ive ever seen her eat. i think she just got carried away cause there were so many adults all eating, and she wanted to try everything. in the begining she was just having potato and asparagus, by the end she was eating fetta and olives..and loving it all!!
    loving tortillas with cheese and tuna and sweetcorn inside, folded in half and grilled at the moment!! and suddenly began liking avo after all this time of not touching it.

Georgi - This thread does tend to go in fits and starts. But if you post rest assured lots of people are reading it. Sometimes if there is nothing new to report and no questions to be asked it just becomes a ghost town, but then the next minute it will be a busy city with posts flying everywhere!

We don't have a timeframe for eating. If I need to be somewhere I give him foods that are quick and easy to eat (nothing too slippery or overly messy) but otherwise I just let him eat and play until he swipes it all off the tray and starts pushing back and crying. That's our signal that he's done! Some days he is quick and other days he takes his time. Depends on the food, how hungry he is and just his general mood.

Did this post this morning so not sure if it is relevant any more!! Forgot to press submit!!

MT It's always relevant I just run out of easy to eat ideas. I guess that's why I have joined this thread, to get loads of ideas.

FEEB I was just reading a BLS info website that said some babies don't like avo & banana. It's not common though is it.. What a shame, cause they are so easy to eat

BECKOES It sounds like your DD is such a great eater. Did you do BLS from 6 months? (sorry if you have mentioned this before). Yeah the zuchinni slice can easily be put into muffin trays, just cook it for less time. You can even put sliced tomatoe on top

BJ had a cruskit with Avo for breaky this morning and polished it off in no time at all. THat was quick for him. Now I must go & clean the mess

Georgi - BJ sounds like he is loving his food again which is great.

Zander still doesnt like to swallow - but I am just going with it now.

When we eat (roughly) - he also has some food on his tray and he has a play, a suck, a storage system on the roof of his mouth etc - when he screams after about 10 mins I just get him out. He doesnt eat much but it is a start. He is sucking english muffin at the moment.

I havent done egg dish yet, but wanna do some mini grated vegie muffins, so will try. But tonight for dinner we are having tuna muffins and veggies, so he can try that too.

Patience Sam, patience.

I went to an ABA meeting during the week and borrowed their BLS DVD and had a chat to them and they ALL made me feel much better and told me not to worry about him not eating yet - WOW - to be validated is just great - instead of from all the professionals that I must start to try and do something about it (like give him purees etc- which he wont take anyway )

Fingers crossed May will be our month LOL

Sam, he's still only little so I'm glad you got some validation from the ABA group. TBH my DD took over a month to be really interested in solids and I didn't start until after 6 mths. Within days of suddenly developing an interest she was wolfing food down! Developmentally, there is scientific research to suggest that most bubs' digestive systems are ready for solid foods from 6-9 mths. If you're letting them lead (as with BLS) they will probably start eating when they are ready developmentally.
    Last edited by Jennifer13; May 3rd, 2009 at 11:54 AM.

Sami - The ABA is a great support for BLS. Glad you went and got that validation. If you think about it babies do everything at different ages, such as crawling, some start early and some start late. That doesn't mean they will never crawl, they are just going to do it when they are ready developmentally. Same goes with food. So it is nice to let them choose to do it when it suits them rather than forcing them in to something that they just haven't got their head around IYKWIM. As long as you continue the BF or Formula they will be getting all the nourishment they need until they are ready to let solids become their nutritional foundation.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast