Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Led Solids Chatter #3

Sam, ITA with what everyone has said. And fwiw, my ds just played with/sucked food for ages. Its really only in the last couple of weeks that he has actually started to consume some of the food (he is almost 11 months).

Just back on the bibs thing, yesterday I went to Dimmy's and they had the cover-all bibs (sleeves etc) for $3 each- excellent bargain, I think they are about $10-$15 at baby stores.

Not much BLS going on here the last few days- poor Peter is unwell and miserable and won't even touch arrowroot- definately sick!

Oh no! Not even touch an arrowroot? That is bad! Jett is sick too atm with bronchitis and blocked nose, but those arrowroots are still going down!

Poor Jett & Peter. Hope they get well soon

SAMI Yeah, BJ is doing pretty well with his eating. He will eat most things I put in front of him. I'm glad the ladies here gave you some re assurance about Z eating. It must be hard that your other two got straight into it & he's just different. I bet it'll happen as Jennifer said. One day, shazzam!

Well we tried some new foods yesterday, but to no prevail.

Firstly, natural yoghurt.... He gagged on it LOL. It was so funny and interesting to see him gag on something that wasn't even solid. Goes to show the difference between gagging & choking.

Secondly, squash.... He didn't want a bar of it. He wouldn't even play with it. Just pushed it away.

Thirdly, Spaghetti.... He loved this one. He had a little trouble getting it into his mouth but when he did it was so funny to see cause some was always hanging out.

Mind you, this was all tried at dinner last night as he wouldn't eat his squash & yoghurt so I had to go to the fridge to see what else I had there to give him. Lucky I had some Zucchini slice left so he gobbled that down too.

LOL at gagging on yoghurt, Georgi. It's worth bearing in mind that some babies and toddlers will need new foods introduced up to 20 times before they will take it. You can try gradually getting them to accept it faster by encouraging 'kissing' the food, or at least touching it, even if they won't eat it. (I've heard a theory that since this is the age little ones become more mobile it's a natural instinct to avoid new and potentially dangerous foods and stick to what they're sure is okay, which kind of makes sense). Introduce a new food along with ones they will already have and just keep persisting. Some will even taste and reject new foods, but it's just because they're not used to it, not always because they have an active like or dislike for things. At this age their palate is still learning.

I followed this with DD and it was amazing how some things took weeks of being offered before she'd try them and then one day it would be eaten without fuss.

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

I totally agree Jen, DD has never been a fan of Avo, would have a tiny taste but never 'eat' any. and the other day i offered it, as usuall, and she just started gobbling it up!! and has liked it every time since!
    Im going back to the uk for a few weeks soon and have been trying to think of as many different food items i can take on the plane. We will leave the house at about 10 am on the 16th and not be off the plane at the other end till 4pm on the 17th. i know they serve infant food on the plane but who knows what it will be, so i want to have enough food for the whole time! Any one got any good ideas? things that will keep, out the fridge (in a little esky bag, but dont know how cold that will be for all that time!) for 30 hours!!!!

Today i made a nice cheesey white sauce and she had it with pasta and veggies!! and i cooked a carbonara for dinner! which went down well!

And Georgi: offered DD squash, the yellow kind, when we were out the other day, ive never seen a reaction like it, i though she was choking on it, grabbed her tongue and her body shook and she made the wierdest 'sick' noise! couldnt work out what was wrong till she put another piece in by mistake and did the same thing! ''i guess she doesnt like squash'' said my DH very casually!
    Last edited by beckoes; May 4th, 2009 at 09:32 PM.

Hi I've been stalking this thread for a while to get some ideas for BLS. I thought maybe it's time to post and say hello! At the moment I am only doing some feeds as BLS.

My DD started solids around 6 months old. She now eats potato (her favourite), pumpkin, carrot, sweet potato, yoghurt and banana. I often give her carrot sticks and banana pieces. I also give her teething sticks which she loves sucking and chewing on. She does seem to be interested in feeding herself, so when I do feed her from a spoon I give her her own spoon to hold. She either feeds herself with the spoon or picks off the food with her hands.

beckoes- I was just at the supermarket yesterday trying to find exactly the same things for Peter to take on the plane. (we leave on 1 June, so a few weeks after you). I am going to take some cruskits, some little rice cake things they have in the baby section, some plain bread (he seems to like it!), some jars that don't need heating- like jelly or apple, some arrowroots....um, that's all I've got for now. Let me know if you think of anything else. I looked at cooler bags at the supermarket, but decided it was all a bit hard!!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

amber corn thins (adult size ones) are great or adult rice cakes. can put so many things on them from chhese, vegemite, avocado

cheesymite sticks rusk tyoe things say 1- 3 years but DS loves them

Hey TANYA.. Welcome! I started stalking the thread just like you.. And now, we're full BLS, but only cause that's what BJ wanted. I occaisionally try to give him food from a spoon & he still refuses to open his mouth for it. So I guess this is it for us I hope Maya's canine will rip into it lol

JENNIFER I will continue to offer the yoghurt, thanks for the re assurance

AMBER & BECKOES Unfortunately with me being so new to BLS I have no tips whatsoever oh & BECKOES, LOL at the squash reaction

OK, so I've found another fave... Spaghetti! I still had cubes of pureed veges in the freezer so I defrosted them & used them as sauce on spaghetti. He LOVED it! I also grated some cheese in with it. What a hit... But what a MESS... Oh, the clean up.....

We're gonna try chicken for dinner tonight for the first time. I hope he'll gum it ok.

Hey Georgi, good to see you in here

Well just a quick one from me. Decided to give Kye some ravioli tonight for dinner as I was having some and omg he scoffed it down, here I was thinking 'oh I'll just put 5 pieces out for him' thinking he wouldnt really like it but in the end I think he must of had about 15-20 pieces little piggie!!

I also made a banana pudding that I got out of a phamplet my CHN gave me and that was a hit too

The recipe (if anyone wants to try it)

Na-Na Pudding
    1 egg yolk
    1/3 cup of formula or breast milk
    1/2 ripe banana
    1 tablespoon rice cereal

Mix everything together, pour into a small oven proof dish. Sit the dish in warm water ie bay marie. Bake at 180C for 30mins, sooo easy!!

gee i haven't been in here in a while.

Grapes. I give them to Ashton, I bit them in half and he loves them! He loves watermellon too but his favourite is banana. He has one a day! And he will eat it in under 4 minutes.
    He has weetbix with a smidgen of honey for breakfast in the morning

Tonight he had pastie which he loved

Looking forward to when Matthew takes to his food with the same amount of gusto! He far prefers playing with whatever he's given than eating it. I loved the sweetcorn and cheese muffins though! He does like arrowroot biscuits but I've just stopped giving them to him as they end up squished into the roof of his mouth and then it's drool, drool, drool and big screams if I try to get it out. Anyone else find this?

CHEEKYFROG BJ does hide food in his mouth at times. And yes, he screams when I try to get it out

MISSYMOO Do you give Ashton the full banana or do you split it in 3?

NAGROMEYK Hey! I didn't realise you are doing BLS with Kye, or are you doing some BLS? That pudding sounds delicious. I wonder how I would do it if I don't have a bay marine? Just in a saucepan? How would I know what temp? Do you need to cover it?

I just couldn't wait to come in here & share my news with you all....

BJ now LOVES the yoghurt! How strange... I thought I'd just offer it (last night) knowing that he'll just push it away or gag on it again, but nope, he ate it, looked at me & launched for the spoon again & shoveled it in his mouth. I had to go back & load the spoon up again, then he grabbed it & shoveled it in again. He would've went back for more & more if i'd let him. I was expecting i'd need to offer it at least 10 or so times before he'd accept it, but it was only the 2nd time. This morning I put some pear & rice cereal out for him, he ate some of the cereal but wasn't interested in the pear, so I loaded up the spoon with the yoghurt again, and yep, he loved it again.

The chicken was a hit last night too. He attacked it! I thought he'd just suck on it & not much would go down, but nope, he just attacked it like an animal Gosh, I was cracking up. It was a fairly large piece too. Thankfully his not gagging much anymore. I thought he would for sure with that chicken.

Just a question.... I know with BLS the bub will take what they want/need, but do you ever get concerned they're eating too much? I always put extra on his tray thinking alot of it will end up on the floor etc but he seems to be eating it all. I do get worried that it will interfere with his BF's but so far it seems ok. I'd love to hear your feedback

Georgi - yay for Byron and the yoghurt and chicken Kye gagged on a few things for a while there, bread especially - my advice just take things slowly, some days he will like things other days he might not be too keen on it. All of sudden I have noticed things have just 'clicked' with Kye, must of been a developmental thing cause he can now eat baked beans and spaghetti on toast perfectly with no gagging - loves it!! He's also had weetbix a few times too!

Yeah I've been doing BLS with Kye for a while now, he prefers it. On the odd occasion I might offer some puree stuff mainly fruit but he tends to turn away to anything on a spoon now LOL I guess that might be because he finds it boring cause he is such a 'big kid' now hahaha

He is eating yoghurt off the spoon, thinks he's so clever that he can hold the spoon and do it himself LOL

Today I am making another recipe out of that booklet - vege risotto bake, I will let you all know how it all goes
    Last edited by nagromeyk; May 6th, 2009 at 08:52 AM.

Oh my i have missed alot. I dont think i'll ever be able to catch up properly. lol.
    I did read about a funny reaction to squash though. PMSL i havent tried that with charli although we have tried lemon and she made a funny face. hehe.

I did my kids aid course, it was really good, i feel much more confident now that if she choked i would be ok. i would prob still freak but atleast now i know what to do

Charli is soldiering on nicely. I am running out of ideas of what to give her though, i give her banana, cruskit with vegemite or advocado, arrowroot biscuit, she tried some grated cheese the other day and didnt mind that either. I'm not sure when i can introduce eggs either, is it yolk or white first??
    Could we maybe start a list of BLS foods u give your kids???

She ate a whole banana the other day but i had to hold it for her and she ate it out of my hand, just kept pulling my hand to her mouth to eat it, was cute but my hands were so messy. lol. She also tried a lil brussel sprout, and some of my home made parma which has chicken, advocado, ham and cheese, she really liked it too

Good going by some of the babies in here!

AM - Foods I give to Jett - Everything except small hard things (like nuts because they are a choking hazard), excess sugar, excess salt, caffeine, cordials/fizzy drinks/juices and of course alcohol! Everything else he is a allowed to eat, or taste if it falls in to the excess sugar or salt category.

Eggs are fine whole from 6 months on so no need to do the separation thing unless you have a direct family allergy (ie. Mum, Dad and siblings) and that is the same with all the other allergy foods. However, it is a personal choice as there is the camp that says introducing too early causes allergy and the camp that says introducing too late causes allergy. My suggestion is to do some research and decide which option suits you.

Georgi - Jett eats heaps. And nope, I never get concerned he is eating too much. We are all born with a little trigger that tells us when we are full so we stop eating. If we eat slowly and chew properly and listen to that trigger then we wouldn't overeat. Somewhere along the way alot of us have learnt to ignore that trigger, eat quickly and not chew properly so we can and do overeat. But thankfully babies can only go by instinct. And especially with BLS they won't overeat or eat too quickly because they can see their food there, they feed themselves at their own pace and it isn't going to be taken away before they are ready. Also they aren't getting a spoon shovelled in with unknown (to them) quantities of food or shovelled in too quickly. So just watch out for the signs that they are finished which is usually some little quirk. Jett sweeps everything off his tray and starts fingerpainting, before either pushing back off the tray and crying, or pretending to be a motorbike (brrrrrrrrrrrrr). Offer them something different (just in case they have had enough of what was on offer) or even something off your plate even if it is the same thing and if they still don't want it then they are done. Don't be tempted to pick the food up and hold it up to their mouths because you are then telling them to eat a little bit more which is then going against their instinct.

HTH!

Georgi - Maya has gone a bit off her food too. I'm not sure if it's due to teething though? But she does seem to like feeding herself so I'm trying to offer more foods that she can eat herself. She still does open up for a spoon but will only take a couple of spoon fulls now, whereas before she would keep downing whatever I offered her.

Yesterday I offered some cut up carrot, zucchini, avocado and banana. Then I realised I cut everything up too small cos Maya could pick the bits up but then they would be totally enclosed in her fist and she couldn't get them in her mouth. Another thing I'm finding is that with very squishy foods like avocado, she will grasp too hard and it'll break off in her hand before she can get it to her mouth. Any advice?

Well Zander is still not technically "eating" as such - in that I don't think much goes down at all - there is nothing in his nappies!

However every meal time now I put him in his highchair and give him something cos he goes crazy if we don't - he gums broccoli and carrot and cruskits and english muffins and I made tuna mini muffins the other day which was a good size for him too - again just a big messy slobbering taste - but that is something I suppose.

I have tried a bit of spooned yoghurt - he does the horror face but opens again - but pushes it out straight away again so maybe he STILL hasnt fully lost the tongue reflex - is that likely at this age does anyone know??? He only opens 3 - 4 times and then gives me the noway signs.

Georgi - I am going to make that zucchini slice you posted the other day as a side for some fish tonight - but will make it in mini muffins again for him to pick up - I know you gave it BJ cold - I am fussy cos I dont like it cold myself He hasnt had full egg yet but he hasnt reacted to anything else so far so fingers crossed.

My other son is anaphylactic to peanuts and tree nuts, but my daughter is fine. However, I am not trying him on it anytime soon and will prob get him properly tested when he is 18 months old. But my son eats eggs so should be fine!!!

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast