View Poll Results: Which name do you like best?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Annika

23 54.76%
  • Eliana

7 16.67%
  • Elliana

12 28.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annika vs Eliana?

Question Annika vs Eliana?

I thought I had decided on Annika for our girl... surname is a lot like "Lock". BUT... I'm starting to wonder. We're both not quite sure about the two "k" sounds" and I think Aussies WILL shorten it, and Ann/Anni/Nika don't grab me greatly. So... decided to re-open pandora's box and look at more names. So now I don't know if that means Annika isn't right!

Next best name we've come up with is Eliana (or Elliana - DH's preferred spelling). I like the fact it could be shortened to Ellie/Lani/Liana etc. So now I'm torn! I think the shortenings are better, it's very pretty, nice with our surname... but it IS longer... and my name is actually Bella... so Ellie & Bella??

Other similar names we like (but have ruled out for various reasons) often with flowing "n" sounds and we love the unusual (DS is Xander). Stuff like Rhianna, Sienna, Alanna, Tabitha, Cassia, Ebony, Melody, Sabriel, Summer, Jenna, Elka, Elowen etc... but for all these we've come up with reasons not to use 'em.

One of my criteria... if my child was to be picked up and transported to a fairyland, I want their name to sound strong, creative and regal... i.e. they could BE a prince/princess elf! I.e. it can't be too common/prosaic/everyday. Princess Susan... nah doesn't work for me. DH thinks this is hilarious, can't think why!

So... any ideas... and what do you prefer out of Annika/Eliana/Elliana? And can you think of teasing options or problems? Smelly Ellie?

i like Elliana, if you think of names that can picked on your gonna have a nameless baby, kids will find anything to rhyme with a name lol what middle names have you chosen, i like Elliana Grace

I agree with the too muck kkk sounds

So is it Arn-ee-ka or Ann-ee-ka? I never know I always loved the name Anakie... but Star Wars ruined that for me, too close to Anakin or whatever his bloody name is.

I don't mind your other names - but I'm loving Emiliana at the moment if that helps...

I prefer Annika. Maybe you could shorten it to Anna or Niki instead. Or insist that it isn't shortened. I don't think the double K sound is a problem.
    Although Eliana is nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh's Eden View Post
    So is it Arn-ee-ka or Ann-ee-ka?
    Well i think that it's Ann-ee-ka. Lol re Anakin!

As for Anna and Niki... noooo they don't fit in fairyland!

I have a Annika and I dont shorten it and neither does anyone else.. if they do she tells them her name is Annika not Annie..

I like Annika - but only cause my best friend is one Though hers is spelt Anneke but pronounced the same way

Do you realise the spelling choice is splitting the Eliana vote?

Quote Originally Posted by marcellus View Post
    Do you realise the spelling choice is splitting the Eliana vote?
    Lol I wondered if I shouldn't do that when I set it up... so to get the "overall" I just add 'em together (my fuzzy preggie brain is managing that much at least!). I'm torn now... was just in the shower imagining I was my daughter in 20 years time answering the phone at work to see which one felt better! Surprisingly, it didn't decide me

My cousin's daughter's name is Tanika, she never gets it shortened. So I'm going Annika

smiles4u Guest

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by belfie View Post
    One of my criteria... if my child was to be picked up and transported to a fairyland, I want their name to sound strong, creative and regal... i.e. they could BE a prince/princess elf! I.e. it can't be too common/prosaic/everyday. Princess Susan
    ... you are more than welcome to use the same name as my DD's - Cendrine, it's a French name meaning Cinders or Ashes which comes from Cinderella (and yes she has what we call a Cinderella corner of Cinderella items in her sweet bedroom)

to be honest it wasn't the meaning i was crazy on (as it's so not me into princess' lol) but then hopefully my DD will have a great sense of humor and i don't think Aussies will really know of it let alone look further beyond the meaning of Cinders.

I really love your name choice of Eliana , it's beautiful

I like Eliana, I have a Eloisa (she gets Ellie, Lou or Lulu for short), but really liked Eliza, dh wasn't haven't any of that though.

Ok I like Annika - what about Annelise???? i went to school with both an Annika and an Annelise....both very pretty girls and suited their names.......neither was shortened......

what about Emilia - my friend had a baby on tuesday and called her Emilia.

If DS had been a girl he would have been Annika. I used to know an Annika, she was/is pretty, sweet and intelligent. As for shortening she sometimes got Kiki (pronounced key-key)
    I like Eliana too. Not a big fan of the double L but I think I'd get used to it.

I love Elliana, i think it's gorgeous, we have a friend who's daughter is Eliana (not sure how they spell it though).
    I think PRINCESS ELLIANA is gorgeous, i'm sure she would be a wonderful elvish leader... lol

Thanks ladies

Well I'm sooo confused now. The polling is pretty much neck and neck...
    DH has almost talked me into the "ll" spelling..so the pros are:
    Elliana/Eliana:
    • Love the nicknames of Ellie or Lani
    • Very pretty
    • Goes really well with our surname

But it is a "busier" name, four syllables where I'd prefer 3 or 2.

Annika:
    • It's a "cleaner" unusual name IYKWIM
    • Shorter name (3 syllables) might actually be more likely to be used in full
    • Could shorten to Kiki (thanks Heva&Zacky!)

But don't love the shortenings as much... and I would love to find a name where I love both short & long versions.

Aaah the indecision!

I'm voting coz I can I love Annika hun and I don't think that it will necessarily get shortened any more than Elliana unless you want it to, in fact I think Elliana is more likely to be shortened to Ellie than Annika but as you said you like those so I can see the issue!!! Im not help at all obviously! Good luck - maybe wait and see once you meet her! We didn't decide until she was here!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanstar View Post
    I'm voting coz I can I love Annika hun and I don't think that it will necessarily get shortened any more than Elliana unless you want it to, in fact I think Elliana is more likely to be shortened to Ellie than Annika but as you said you like those so I can see the issue!!! Im not help at all obviously! Good luck - maybe wait and see once you meet her! We didn't decide until she was here!!
    Woo hoo, I enticed Tan out of hiding!
    Thanks for the votes. I'm now wondering if NEITHER is right as there's things I do and don't like about both. I thought of Elarni/Elahni last night which I think is gorgeous but DH HATES .
    We picked our son's name soooo easily, dunno why I can't select my girls name as easily!
    Anyone got any other ideas!?!?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast