Thread: Boy's name: August

Default Boy's name: August

Hello,
    I am due in late October and am really struggling with baby boy names. I had a dream that my baby came out with a birth certificate and it's name was August. I don't love the name and had never heard of it being a name until I did some research. My partner is now calling it August and thinks that it's great. I guess nicknames would be Auggie or Gus which I would have to get use to. It is now really growing on me, what do you think? Our surname is very common and bland (e.g. Jones) so clashing is not a problem. Boys names are difficult, there is not one name in a book of 5000 that I have loved.

I really like it shimmy and to BB! I've heard it as a girls name, I think it might be a pretty old name like Joy or Rudy or Pearl?? I haven't ever heard of a boy called August though, not sure I would personally like my child called Gus though as it's so different from August.

I like it- and I like the NNs Augie and Gus. It sounds like a male name to me- I looked it up on babynamewizard and it was most popular in 1880. The female version is Augustine. Also- there is a classic book called "The Adventures of Augie March". My only issue with day or month names is deciding if they should be given to children born on those days/months or if it doesn't matter.

Mmmmm, personally I don't like it, and have never come across it as a teacher. Its definitely more feminine than masculine though IMO.

i like it! and there's an aussie band called augie march too! although, i do love the nickname Gussie...

It's funny a few people see it as more feminine. My first thought is it's a male name, from Augustus.

I think it is typically a masculine name - it was my grandfather's name - we were considering using it at one point in time.

If you aren't that keen on it, but see the dream as a sign that you should use it, how about as a middle name.

surrounded by textbooks, cat toys and love

I think it's awesome! Brilliant name, definitely sounds masculine to me!

Ooh I love that name! Haven't really heard it around but now you've mentioned it I like it And I really like a nickname of Augie

Thanks for the warm welcome and for the replies. It is great to have some independent reviews on a name before you decide. Naming a child is such a huge responsibility.

Mariska Hargitay from Law and Order called her son August so if it is good enough for the celebrity world...

I really like it. I think I'd see it first as a masculine name (why should the girls get all the month names? ), though it could be feminine too I guess. If you were a bit unsure, you could even go for a middle name that meant he could use an initial nickname, like AJ, if you like that sort of thing.

A lady from my mothers group named her son August. I just love it!

I really really like it!

I love it, I always have, it sounds stupidly similar to our surname, so won't be using it, but I hope that you do!