Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlotte

Default Charlotte

We are expecting our first baby in February and have started tossing around name ideas. At the moment I am concentrating on finding a girl name, after which we will pick a boy name (I find it easier to concentrate on one at a time).

We are having quite a few troubles as many of the names I like DH doesn't (I like some 'different' but I feel nice names, such as Hallie, Ayla, Eilish etc - I think it comes from being a teacher, I hear some 'common' names all the time).

Anyway, the current name that we are throwing around is Charlotte. I like the fact that it can be shortened to Charli or Lotte (although DH is not a fan of Lotte).

From what I've read it has been popular for a few years yet I don't actually know anyone with this name; adult or child.

Anyway, what I want to know is what do you think of this name and would you, as an adult, be happy if this was your name??

I love it

FYI it means "Little womanly one" and found that even though we picked it at about 5 months in (it just struck us instantly and was never thought of not naming her Charlotte) as soon as we met her, it describes her to a tea

Good luck!
    Last edited by LimeSlice; July 6th, 2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: lol forgot half the sentence

I really like Charlotte, it has always been on my list as like long pretty names that are preferably old fashioned. DH does not like it though.

Default Charlotte

I like it and a gorgeous bub in my mothers group is called Charlotte, but, a girl I went to school with got called Charlotte the harlot which has spoilt it for me!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

I have always loved it and I always suggested it to DH he was never keen said Charlotte the harlot!! But we never needed a girls name as we are blessed with 2 boys!

Thanks for the opinions.

LimeSlice - I had just realised that you'd called your daughter Charlotte after posting this so I figured you'd like it!

Daintree - I like some of the old fashioned type names too. If you have another others you like feel free to suggest away!

ControlFreak - Thanks for letting me know the nickname of the girl in school. It's always good to know these sorts of things as that can very much influence what I would call my child.

I love it - DD's best buddy (atm, lol) is Charlotte and she is just beautiful...... Enjoy your decision making! xx

i think its an absolutely beautiful name..

however, my cousin just called her baby Charlotte, as did DP's aunty.. as did 2 family friends. 4 babies within less than a year.. i believe that in about 4 years there is gonna be A LOT of charlotte's in schools. only saying because you commented that you were a teacher and i thought you may wanna consider this..

however, if you love the name, then its up to you. and the name is gorgeous!! =)

Quote Originally Posted by Kezzy View Post
    i think its an absolutely beautiful name..

however, my cousin just called her baby Charlotte, as did DP's aunty.. as did 2 family friends. 4 babies within less than a year.. i believe that in about 4 years there is gonna be A LOT of charlotte's in schools. only saying because you commented that you were a teacher and i thought you may wanna consider this..

however, if you love the name, then its up to you. and the name is gorgeous!! =)
    I will admit, I am kinda worried about this, especially if I end up with a really 'annoying' (I feel bad for saying that) one in my class who I have to constantly talk to...by the time I get home I don't want to hate saying my child's name I just find it very strange that as of yet I haven't come across any considering it's currently a very popular name.

i think charlotte is an awesome name! hehehe
    We always thought when i was pregnant we'd call DD1 charlie, but its ended up as either Cha (sha) or charbie (sharbie)

being annoyed to say your child's name would be a difficult situation, however, i guess that comes with the territory of being a teacher, and its a risk you run with any names. FWIW, none of the 4 charlotte's i know are "annoying". they are all wonderfully beautiful =)
    possibly the name has only come back into popularity recently enough not to be popping up in schools yet.. or maybe it's just my part of the country surrounded by charlottes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skybie View Post
    i think charlotte is an awesome name! hehehe
    We always thought when i was pregnant we'd call DD1 charlie, but its ended up as either Cha (sha) or charbie (sharbie)

Yeah the plan was to have a Chalie, with a real name for when she was older, but she has always been Bumpy or Charlotte to me, Charli (Sharli) to her dad...the only person who calls her Charlie is my sister lol

smiles4u Guest

Thumbs up

I like Charlotte

... not a fan of Charli as i think it's been over done but i don't mind Lotte, sounds sweet

Quote Originally Posted by feeb View Post
    I have always loved it and I always suggested it to DH he was never keen said Charlotte the harlot!! But we never needed a girls name as we are blessed with 2 boys!
    That's what my MIL waid too! I love love love the name but yeah, that comments puts a bit of a dampener on it. DH isn't keen on it anyway. I think it's a beautiful name that would suit any age.

Once i am utd and we find out its a girl DH and I already have decided to name her Charlotte. We love the name too!!!!!!!!

My 16 yr old daughter is Charlotte,I named her after my dad as he was Charles and i read it was the feminine form for that.I love the old fashioned names,i have a Lucy and Sophie as well.We call her Char for short at times.

surrounded by textbooks, cat toys and love

I have a gorgeous niece named Charlotte, we call her Char-Char.I think it's a really beautiful name, and really easy to personalise to whatever suits your daughter.

It's a beautiful name, and as a teenager I always said I would have a baby and name her Charlottle, but when I was teaching, I had 3 Charlotte's in one class (this was 3 years ago now, so I guess popular then, not so sure about now) so that threw the name out the window for me, as I also always said I could never name our child a name of someone I taught (which really narrows it down lol).
    Oh and they were all Charlie for short, never Lotte or anything else, which was just as nice as Charlotte.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast