Thread: How Popular is...

Default How Popular is...

Kate?

I really like the name alot, and don't think it is that popular at the moment. My other concern is that it is a bit ordinary with our surname which is Smith. WDYT?

Also do you think having a 1 syllable surname means we should have a longer first name?

DD is Tori (2 syllables) & DS is Liam (2 syllables), do you think Kate fits with these?

TIA

I'm not sure how popular it is ATM but you can google popular names sites. I know there is an american site that lists the top 1000 names by year. I think NSW govt has a site with the top 100 for the year.

I think Kate is lovely. It goes well with your other names.

ETA: If you want to make it longer, your could make it Caitlyn or Catherine & shorten it to Kate.

I love the name Kate. I don't know any kids named Kate but have several friends my age and older called Kate.

I was going to suggest the longer version of Katelyn too. That way you will still have 2 syllables, its not 2 short names that are both kind of common iykwim.
    I like it, I think Katie is cute too. I have a friend who is just Katie.
    No where near as common as it used to be

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

I love Kate, Katie, Kaitlyn. (I have friends of each name and 2 friends with toddlers with names)

If you look up births, deaths and marriages vic site you can look at top 100 names for each year and each sex.

I love the name Kate . I think it sounds fine with a one syllable surname and it sounds so good with your other kids names .

I don't think it's all that popular atm. I only know of one little girl named Kate and I thought it was pretty rare to meet a little girl with that name.

I love the name Kate - Katherine, but unfortunately DH is not a fan! lol

When I was a teen, it was so HUGELY popular we had about 6 of them in my class alone lol But it doesn't seem to be that popular anymore.

The Spanish version, which I love, is Catalina (Katalina) so you could still use Kate if you wanted to, but the classic Katherine is beautiful.
    Oh, we also had a Kathryn Smith - a very intelligent girl, and totally suited her name, flows well, and not boring at all.

GL

It seems to be more popular as a middle name than a first I think. I too grew up with a fair few Kates so it must have been a popular baby name in the 80's perhaps?
    I really like it as a first name, it's simple and feminine without being overly girly if that makes sense?

I love it, it is DD middle name

I like Kate too, it's my DD's middle name as well. I think it's a fairly popular name though I wanted Caitlyn for this baby if it's a girl, but I think it's too much with DD's middle name being Kate, and my cousins little one is a Kaitlin. But there are LOTS of names that can have Kate as a derivative name, if you want to call her Kate and have the option of her being able to have a longer name when she can choose it if she wants it, itms!
    There is:

Katelyn/Catelyn/Caitlyn...
    Kathleen
    Cathryn/Catherine/Katherin...
    Katie/Caity/Catey....
    Katrina
    Katerina/Catereena....
    Kathy/Cathie...

HTH and good luck!

It's a pretty name, I like it. But I may be biased as DD's middle name is Kate

I love the name Kate too and I agree not that popular at the moment. I think it is an elegant classic name and so doesn't sound too plain with Smith. In theory having first and Last names with different amounts of syllables does sound better but I think Kate Smith is a great name and if she gets married and changes her name then it wont always be her surname anyway.

I personally am not the bigget fan of Katelyn and think that it sounds a lot more plain with Smith thatn Kate does. Also I think if you are always going to call her Kate then she will be known as Kate Smith so you have kind of just given her a name that you didnt really want just so she could end up being KAte Smith anyway iykwim? I know a few people who named there kids longer names and wish they just went with the actual name their kids are known by. Just my opinion though.

I think the name goes wonderfully with your other kids names too

smiles4u Guest

Smile

I like the name Kate, lovely strong classical & dateless name - suits all ages throughout life ... funny thing is my last two EX's loved the name Kate for a girl

... i too think it goes really well with your other childrens names !!

My DDs middle name is Kate so I love it!
    Not terribly common these days- at our school (380 children) there are 3 Caitlyns(various spellings) and one Katie.

Thanks for the replies, it has always been a fav name of mine- I like names that sound suitable at any age like this one does, some names I think are more suitable on older people or babies, or don't suit teenagers if you get my drift.

I am not a fan of giving a longer and shortening to a nickname, hence why DD is Tori and not Victoria, I did think about Caitlin, but just dont think it flows as well.
    I have never come across a single child name Kate in the 5 school I have taught at over the past 7 years, so I am thinking I might be safe.
    Now just need to convince DH.

I've come across 2 Kates undr the age of five in the last five years working in early childhood. So, not very common. Caitlin, though, and all its variants, is much more common.

I love Cate. Maybe Cate short for Catriona Leah? I love it, but it's a little too similar to my own name...

In a place where Love is what we breathe!

i like Kate very classic and pretty

i went to school with quite afew Kate's but not a name you hear so much now in children.
    Kate Smith would prob be pretty common, but you could break that by putting a different middle name in there??