Thread: Our baby girls name

Default Our baby girls name

Hello Ladies,

From very early on in this pregnancy the name Eva has been placed before me in all sorts of situations. For example the blood test lady was Eva, I have seen the name on a car number plate, news articles/books I have read have had the name Eva as well. Plus DD loves the name from the Walle (sp?) movie.

Problem is my DH and I pronounce the name differently. DH and his family (who are Polish) pronounce the name E-va (like Ever) and my side who are Aussie pronounce the name Eeva. I don't mind either way but I am trying to get through to Dh that she'll probably be called the Aussie way and I don't want her having to correct ppl all the time iykwim. He seems to think that the Polish way is the only way....grrr and he'll correct ppl if they are wrong.

So what do I do? Go for another name...but what ?? I love the meaning of Eva - means Life. Plus I think it goes with my other girls Sara and Loren. On the otherhand I have the Skyhooks song Evie going through my head too when I think of the name

it's a gorgeous name - and when she is older she can choose how to pronounce.
    i also like eve (which would take away some of the inconsistency?)
    it goes beautifully with Sara and Loren (eva in particular)

I think you are right. The majority of people will see 'Eva' and pronounce it Ee-va. Of course, a lot of the time we tell people our name before they see it written down, so it won't be a problem there. People often mispronounce my daughter's name, and it does annoy me sometimes.

Would you consider spelling it 'Ever'?

Yes, I agree on both points, beautiful name and the Aussie version will probably win in the end!

I have a friend who was Christened Tanya and I always pronounced it as the very Aussie Tan-ya only to find out after knowing her for years that it is actually supposed to be Tarn-ya. After 30+ years of mistakes she isn't bothered, just shrugs it off and answers to whatever people say!

Knowing how much you love it, I'd stick with it. If you pronounce it Ev-a (Ever) to family and friends then they'll get it right surely? Are you happy with this pronounciation or do you prefer Ee-va? If so, then that might be a problem if you and DH can't agree.

If it's misprounounced at mother's group, school etc who really cares? You'll/she'll either correct them or not?

Why are men so stubborn about names

Well, I'm in the opposite boat. My daughter's name is Maya, pronounced Mah-yah). I never liked the pronunciation like the month of may. I am German, so maybe biased because of that. But in the end, pronunciation is not only different in various languages, there are also variations within the same language. I have a family friend in the states where the name is more common (she's of Polish heritage, too) and she says it is most commonly pronounced the way I do. But here in Aus, most people think it should be like May. Contrary to what my DH predicted, everybody pronounces Maya's name the way we introduce her.
    By the way, i do like the Polish pronunciation of Eva better than the English. But again, I'm biased and I would call her whichever way you tell me to.

Sasa

smiles4u Guest

Smile

Oh, EVA is just so pretty ... i love it

My daughter's name gets pronounced two different ways by the Aussies ... then the French pronounce it a third way (which is really the 1st way seeing it is a French name) ... i get use to it said out loud different ways ...

... but then my name is like that too as my Dad & my older sister pronounce it one way and then my Mum & younger sister pronounce it another ... it truely has never bothered me

I think Eva will mainly be pronounced as Ee-va ... it's the 'mainly' pronounced way you yourself will be more interested in !!

If it were me I would name her Eva but call her Evie - and then if she decides that she wants to go with Eva then she will be big enough to know which way she likes it.

I LOVE Evie. I just think that there is something classic about it.

I love Eva too but if you wanted to change it slightly what about AVA..

Ohh i love the name Eva.. And i must say After watching WALL-E i like it even more.!
    We already have an Ebony , so people are telling me to sway away from E names.

My parent's named my sister Natasha and intended for her name to pronounced Natarsha but my Dad insisted it didn't need an R in it and everyone would get it right. When people know her they do but anyone reading her name pronounces it Natasha.

I think if you want her name to be pronounced Ever then you need to change the spelling- you can't change the fact that Australian's pronounce it Ee-va. FWIW though I LOVE Eva! I love Evie too!!

Bek, I remembered your Polish connection as soon as you posted Eva, and I said Ev-er in my mind. If that's how you pronounce it, that's how people will say it.

Thought of a middle name at all??

Ehva?
    I like Evie too

Thanks for your responses ladies. After seeing yet another number plate today with the name Eva on it, I think that I have enough "signs" and I will stick with the name.

Considering that DD1 is called Sara and we always tell ppl how to pronounce her name then I assume that Eva will be no different. BTW I will call her Evie for short..so cute

Sunshine - DD2 is Loren Maja (mahya)!!

Willow - In my mind I usually pronounce the name Ever because I have been around the Polish crowd for a long time and I know other Polish girls that have this name.

Now for middle names:

Eva Juilette
    Eva Jewel
    Eva Anais
    Eva Jaide (Jayde)

Any ideas?

I really like Eva as a name. Beautiful.

Eva Jayde is really pretty!

What about..

Eva Renee
    Eva Louise

But I still like Eva Jayde most!

Good luck with naming her BekZ

xox

eva anais is beautiful. we have the same pronounciation problem with xavier's name. most people say zavier, but we actually say the x. zavier is the spanish pronounication, x - avier is the english. i used to always pick people up on it, now i can't be bothered although it does upset me when the family pronounces it with a z.

you could spell it Evah?