Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strangest pronunciations

A friend of a friend has a daughter called Penelope and pronounces it Pen-a-lope (as in antelope)

My name, Alicia, is pronounced A-lis-ea I hate getting called Aleasha!

Ahh I remembered...

I worked with a girl who spelt her name Briodie... pronounced Bridie... what was with the 'O' ?

Karen - Kaaren
    Funny you should say that. My sister was named Karen - pronounced - in the swedish manner - KAHren (not Karren like it is commonly pronounced in Australia) and after getting totally sick of people calling her Karren changed her name by deedpoll to Kaaren. Just so ppl would get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by rayray View Post

And I worked with someone whose name was spelled Bahriye, and pronounced Bree-uh

Maybe she had to change the pronunciation cos she was sick of people calling her Barry?

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    No, thats exactly right, it's Irish.
    Speaking of Irish names, if Niamh is Neeve, how to you say Aoife?

I see it in the birth notices a bit.

No offence to the irish but what is with putting a bunch of letters together and then saying a completely different thing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smiles4u View Post
    Like my name Lorelle ... pronounced Ler - elle ... yet my older sister & Dad are the only two people on the planet that pronounce it Law - relle
    thats how i would pronounce it... law-relle...

Quote Originally Posted by DaintreeDream View Post
    No offence to the irish but what is with putting a bunch of letters together and then saying a completely different thing!!!
    It is because it is Gaelic - the letters arent all pronounced the same way to begin with.

Re irish names... its not english its gaelic. The same could easily be said for many other languages. My name is pronounced nothing like how it is read in english (however the english way is how I let people pronounce it as its easier).

Oh and Aoife is Basically Eve, but more of an f sound than a v sound.

I used to work with an Aoife. She pronounced it like Eva but with an F. It's one of my favourite names.

Depends where you come from if you pronounce the e... its mostly like letting out air after saying eve, not really like saying a hard ah... its very quick... hard to explain... bah.

That's why I spelt Alister the way I did and not Alistair/Alastair because Australians generally have lazy pronunciation so it would never be said right and would always be said as Alister. However FIL always says Alastair ROFL.

The Alicia thing I always thought was funny because her Mum never used to say it that way, for some reason she just got a bee in her bonnet about it and decided it had to be the other way LOL.

I just remembered another one...

I went to uni with a girl called Angela but it was Ahngela rather than Anngela (but as Trillian says - she had a bit of the Hyacynths about her)

ROFL, I can just imagine the Ahngela. People who talk with a plum in their throat say things wrong all the time, like the ones who will say Grarnt instead of Grant. It's hilarious, like they think they own the Queen's English LOL

Yes Trillian! I get that. My name is Deanne, pronounced D-Anne I always get D-arn. I hate it! I also get Deanna, Diane, Diana but thats a whole nother story about lazy readers! And when they write it they put an A on the end when they said my name correctly without one .

I hate it on the phone.. my name is Sheree and I get Therese, Cherise, Cherry, Sherry you name it.. thats one reason I called my girls easily pronounced common names..that and the fact that their surname has 4 sylables!!

I hear you Shezabelle,

My name is Naomi you say it how you spell it but spelling it out its nay oh me easy right - yeah except for those so call me Niomi, or Neeomi or mary ?? I hate it when people say my name wrong its not that hard I just get people calling me Nae and its all up hill from there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast