thread: Are these names too common?

Feb 2009

Smile Are these names too common?

Please tell me if you think these names are too common. My husband and I both have unusual names so we don't want our baby to have a really unusual name, but not overly common either.
    Ellie
    Bronte
    Georgie
    Gracie
    Holly

Thanks!

Sep 2008
    Sunshine Coast QLD

Hi Stella'sMum.
    I don't think any of your names are unusually common, i only know an Ellie out of them all. My faves would be Holly & Bronte!

Oct 2007
    Perth,WA

I know a Holly and a fair few Georgies (as in Georgia), I've also heard Ellie and Gracie....but as dogs names!!

Georgie is my fave!

Feb 2007

I think they are beautiful names. I have heard of a few Ella's but not Ellie.

Aug 2008
    Ouiinslano

Holly was the only name that doubled up in the last babies' room that I worked in.
    BUT there's none at the centre where I work now, where there are 3 Graces.

I haven't seen a lot of Ellies, Brontes or Georgies around. All of them were pretty common 8 or 9 years ago, but have sort of petered out now.

Dec 2008

I love all your choices. I only know 1 Bronte, a couple of Hollys and 1 Ellie-Rose. I know a few Graces but no Gracies, although I went to primary school with a Gracie but I am old

My sister is considering calling her baby Alli if it's a girl but I much prefer it spelt Ellie or Elly.

Mar 2009
    Edens Landing, Yes its actually a place

Don't like Gracie but quite like Bronte and Holly.
    Hope that helps???
    Got any ides for boys names??? lol

Feb 2009

Im sorry, I haven't really thought of that many boys names! Lucky I'm having a girl I guess! I do really like Sam for a boy though.

Good luck and thanks for replying. I have quite a while to decide - 17 weeks to go!

Stella'sMum

Feb 2006
    NSW Central Coast

I'm a childcare worker and out of the names you have chosen the ones I haven't heard much in the past few years are Bronte and Holly. The rest of the names I have heard quite commonly especially Ellie. Although not the particular names you have chosen, I have heard Grace and Georgia/Jorja alot too.
    They are all beautiful names though. And my fave would be Holly or Gracie.

May 2007
    Home

Hey stellas mum
    One of my very close friends just had a DD and named her stella - gosh is gorgeous.
    but on subject, I've come across quite a few georgias (georgie they get nicknamed) in my teaching days!
    the others i've heard of, but definately not common
    good luck with your decision

Jul 2006
    In The Land Of Wonderful...

I think they're all unusual enough but not too unusual

I'm a Holly - I don't know anyone else called Holly except for HollyM & Hollye on here

I teach an Ellie (spelt Elle) - she's the only one I know & she's 16yrs.
    I teach quite a few Georgia's (or Jorja's) - but no Georgies
    I only know of 1 Bronte in DS's class at school,
    Don't know any Gracie's, but I teach a little girl called Graycin - she gets Gracie for short

I think they're known enough to not misunderstand or mispronounce them, but not common enough that you should double up at school etc... they're all lovely

Jan 2008
    Country Victoria

I think that Ellie and Gracie are common (maybe more so Ella and Grace), but they are cute.

I am not a fan of Holly (sorry any Hollys out there ) although I do not think it is to popular.

I like Bronte and Georgie, Georgie may be a little common but no overly, Bronte not so common.

Oct 2007
    Brissy

I know 3 babies named Holly/Hollie and two named Grace, so yes they are popular

I like Bronte the most out of your list. All the best!

Dec 2007
    Victoria

Soo many Grace's!! lol
    Not heard Bronte lately though...I love Georgie

Jul 2005
    Sydney

i think Bronte is the nicest and probably LEAST common of all names.
    I know if a few Holly's, Georgia & not ellie but ella's, and Grace but not gracie.

im a fan of uncommon but not unusal names!

Jan 2008
    On the fringe

You could try this website

100 years of baby names - NSW Government Portal

It'll tell you how many babies of a particular name were born in NSW each (for the last few years) or decade back 100 years, as long as there were at least 10 (I think that's how it works)
    For example in NSW in 2007 there were 208 Hollys (Ranked #27), Grace had 366 (Rank #15) but no Gracies

smiles4u Guest

Wink

I know a fair few Georgia's & Grace's ... i think Ellie (Allie) is starting to become fady ... I don't know of any Bronte's - and I only know one Holly (also it's my sister's middle name)

Sep 2008
    In a cloud of madness.

I have a Jorja so I guess i like georgie.

havent seena many of the other names though.
    xx