4 - Riley
    5 - Bailey
    6 - Chloe
    7 - Isabella
    8 - Hannah
    9 - Hailey, Hayley
    10 - Ava

Love

Woweee.... I never would have thought I'd given my son the #1 name, LOL!!! And I'm the one that usually like different/unusual names!

Pietta Guest

uh-oh my son's name is in the top 10 girls names!!!
    Yikes!! thank goodness it is with a Y not an I!!

Sal Guest

Pee, don't worry, Ryley (or Riley) sounds and looks like a boys' name to me. It'll be the girls who will have the problem of others assuming that they are boys (bit like 'Daryl' for a girl) and not vice versa.

I agree, I think it sounds like a boys name... my cousin named her son Riley as well...

Interestingly Kat I found an american website (also fairly well known) which listed the top 100 most popular names in US for boys and girls, and there were a surprisingly large amount of names on both lists - Pee - Riley was one of them!

Keen

Hi - no Joshua or Lachlan in the top ten ??

And I'm sure I've seen birth notices with Bailey as a girl as well.

Barb.

Nikki Guest

Woohoo, our son name is in the top 10 for both boys & girls.

Jayden Riley.

I always thought Riley was a straight, down the line boys name. But who knows these days, parents name their kids all sorts of things.

Pietta Guest

LOL!! YAY everyone will know my boy is a boy then!! Mind you he does have beautiful long eyelashes... hehehe

I always thought it was a straight down the line boys name too!!
    Mind you though people sometimes call me Peta instead of Peita (pea-yet-tar)

Chi-Chi Guest

Interesting list!!! Hope I don't offend by saying, I'm the type to want to deliberately avoid the names that are popular. So now I know what not to name my next one. I do find it interesting the way certain names are popular at different times - I notice most of the boys names end in 'en' or 'an' & I think girls names often endy in a 'ey' sound or 'a'.
    For what it's worth, I really do like the idea of unisex names, eg Riley, also Darcy.

I also think it's interesting that the popular names rhyme..
    ie: Aidyn, Hayden, Jayden, Kaden... for boys
    and Hayley, Bailey, Kaylee for girls.

Perhaps it's just a coincidence.

But then again, a few years ago it was Tayla, Kayla, etc.

Hmmm...

Melinda Guest

Argghh....we wanted to avoid 'popular' names as well actually, but according to that list, Jacob is a fairly popular name! Interesting too that since he has been born, we have seen quite a few Jacob's in the birth announcements section of the paper.

It's also number 2 on the US list that Keen posted!!!! Double Arrghh! LOL

LOL Toots, I know how you feel!! Aidyn is #3 on the US list and #1 on this list... #-o
    I like to think that at least we gave his name different spelling from the majority though.
    and in the end what does it matter... we had such a hard time picking a name that we both liked, we're just lucky we found one! How were we to know it would turn out to be so popular for this year?!

Yeah I thought I would be different when I put Kamerons' name with a K. In the birth year book he got there were two other Kameron's and we have seen once more since (older person)

Love

Hi there all
    I just thought i would pop my head into this thread and look at the popular names that are going around and see if our kids names are on any of the lists. They arn't - Ariel is my son and Immogen is my daughter.
    I love different names and agree with those wanting different names. I used to teach and the same names would come up all the time. First it was Thomas, then Melissa, then Zak, then Hayley, then Bailey, and now it looks like Aiden and emily are the new vogue names.
    My name is different - odette- and you do get remembered alot more for having a different name. Sometimes this can also be a bad thing - lolol
    Anyway just thought i would say hello
    have a good day
    odette

Default Baby names

I named my daughter Isabelle. About 12 mths later Nic Kidman and Tom Cruise adopted Isabella. All of a sudden WAY popular name and now poor ISABELLE (spanish) is correcting people over the A. Jeez, I tried my best!!

Chi-Chi Guest

You're right Ambah, it is hard enough choosing a name, any name...never mind worrying about how popular it is at the time, or how popular it may become in the future!

Odette, I love Ariel for a boys name, good one! I had a crush once on a lovely South American boy with that name (he pronounced it Ar-iel-not like The Little Mermaid) & Imogen was on my short list for my DD but no-one else in my family liked it.

My brother's named Jacob & when he was young he hated it. There weren't any other Jacob's at his school & he desperately wanted to be called Jason - there were three Jason's in his class! Funny I know a brother & sister named Kylie & Jason, obviously their mum named them before Neighbours came along but they had to put up with stupid jokes right through school.

Just as an aside, I really like the name Elvis (don't laugh) but I know that if I ever have a son & give him that name, he'll hate me for it. But I have an Elvis obsession & I also really just like the sound of the name. Oh well...

Our munchkin's name's not on there \/ I was hoping Alexzander wasn't too popular.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast