Thread: Anyone had any experience with

Default Anyone had any experience with

Calmarap?? They are like HAB, but I found them on ebay & they have a website & just wondering????

Thanks!

I don't have any experience with them personally tracey but IMHO they are cheap rip off merchants...exact copies of the hugabub...they have been on ebay for a little while now and every time hugabub has a promo they seem to try and top it on their website. Their material is 180gm stretch cotton and i would say that hugabub I lent you is at least that if not a 220gm stretch so heavier than calmarap but don't quote me on that....I'm just going from memory and my extensive knowledge of fabrics ( I am a designer amongst other things!!). I dunno....they seem much of a muchness to me...I just prefer the hugabub cos I'm one of those people who is loyal to the small guy who got there first!!

Melanie

Thanks Mel... I appreciate your response babe!

I will continue bidding on the HAB on ebay then!!

Then you can have yours back with a sprinkling of babydust to help you get a chance to wear it!

I 100% love ya for letting me try iyt & can say Indah loves it & it's comfy to wear!

Thanks darl!

If I win one on ebay I'll wash yours & drop it in to your hubby...

Hi Tracey,

I've seen them too but not worn them. They do seem very similar to HAB but I also reckon you can't beat HAB. They are the original and the best (and here am I ripping off Smiths Crisps adverts).

=)

gabbysmum Guest

Exclamation

Hi Girls

I just thought I had to respond to your posts as I feel we have been misrepresented by some of your comments.

I am one of the Too Cool Mums that make the Calmarap, we are 2 work at home mums. We found out about babywearing via the web – in particular the mamatoto website which is a non profit babywearing resource.

I found out how to make my own wrap and also learned via their online videos and instructions how to tie it in various ways. I also have learned back carrying with a wider wrap which is now also part of the Calmarap family.

Whilst we wore our babies around town we were constantly asked where we got our wraps from. After being stopped in the street so many times it was obvious that not many people knew about wraps and that there was a need to educate other mums about them.

Too Cool Mums caters to a “gap” in the market. Our wraps are not plain colours, we particularly wanted something fun, funky and stylish. To say that we are “cheap rip off merchants” is pretty harsh. To me it conjures up a picture of an unscrupulous organisation mass producing counterfeit goods in china. That image couldn’t be further from the truth. :eek:

The Calmarap Baby Carrier is not an exact copy of the Hug a Bub it has it’s own unique features. Aside from the funky colours and designs, it has a larger pocket made from a non stretch woven cotton fabric which actually provides greater support to the weight bearing section of the wrap. Also the range includes a softer stretchier “Newborn” wrap as well as a wider wrap for older babies/toddlers which you can also use for back carrying.

As an exercise you may want to look at the babywearer website and see that there are no less than 90 wrap carriers available around the world and the list is growing daily. I doubt that the “original and the best” even originated from Australia since the Didymos (from Germany) has been around since 1970 and so it pre-dates the hug a bub by more than 20 years.

There is certainly room within the Australian market for more than 1 manufacturer of an item. There is nothing wrong with healthy competition. The Calmarap differs from the Hug a Bub in it’s target market as well as it's design. We will never make a plain coloured wrap. If somebody asked us if we had a plain wrap we would happily point them in the direction of hug a bub since we are not interested in making something that is already available on the market.

I hope this clarifies a few points for future readers of this forum thread as I would hate for people to get the wrong impression about us. We have worked hard to slowly build our business whilst caring for our families. These types of unfounded comments could be quite damaging to our reputation.

In summary I'd just like to add that we are actually the "little guys" trying to help other mums enjoy wearing their babies, isn't that what it should all be about? We get a great deal of satisfaction out of what we do so it really isn't about money.

Happy Babywearing

Sandy Holdaway
    Too Cool Mums

Sandy, my post was not intended to detract from your business. It was just consumer opinion and shouldn't be regarded as anything but.

I'm sorry if this caused offence.