Thread: Best carrier for narrow shouldered thin people?

Default Best carrier for narrow shouldered thin people?

Hi fellow babywearers,
    I have an Ergo and wear DD (almost a year old) in it a lot, around the house and for most of her sleeps as well as when out. Hubby is quite large (broad shoulders, barrel chest, and beer gut!) so we got the Sport model (which has longer straps, not sure if it's wider in the body too). However I am petite and narrow shouldered. The waist strap cinches in just enough to fit my waist, but the padding on the shoulder straps and the width they are set apart means that they quite easily fall off my shoulders - especially when she's asleep and her head flops to one side. I'm also not a fan of having to buckle a strap between the shoulder straps - when front carrying I can never seem to reach the darn thing! But I do love the position she sits in, and the fact that I can wear her for hours without getting a sore back.
    A friend lent me an Ellaroo mei tai and a Didymos woven wrap. I love the mei tai, but maybe that's just cos it's so similar to the Ergo but without the annoying bits This particular brand seems a bit short though and there's not much head support when she's asleep. So not perfect. I'm now trying to get my head around wrapping, and finding it a bit tricky... shoulder straps seem to either hurt or go over my entire upper arm and restrict movement. And SO MUCH FABRIC ! Is it worth me trying to learn this wrapping thing, or would I be better restricting my search for the perfect sling to mei tais? Anything else I should try? (Must be two-shouldered for extended carrying - I got over lugging her around in the ring sling long ago!) Particular brands that would be good for my shape?
    Thanks in advance for your suggestions

I don't know about narrow shoulders, but I am slim and I absolutely would not be without my hug-a-bub. I used to think it was hard to put on, but now i'm a dab hand, and can do it quite quickly. I have a Baby Bjorn for super quick trips (in and out to daycare) and a hip carry/ring sling for around home etc. But for extended carrying and walking and sleeping etc, i personally love my hug-a-bub.
    Oh, and DH is about 30kgs heavier and it's uber-comfy for him too. It just wraps around him one less time!

If you live close, I'd be happy to let you try it out.

jaskie Guest

I also have the hug-a-bub and love it. Like anything new it takes a bit of practice to get the hang of putting it on but once you do its great!!! My bub is 20 months and I still use it. There is a big difference between my husband and myself (Im 5.5ft and slim and my husband is 6.5ft and broad) and we both use it easily.

I'd heard that stretchy wraps like hug-a-bub were not as supportive as woven once baby gets bigger. Have you guys compared your HABs to other carriers and found them equally good?
    Also, with bigger babies can you still tie it on first, then put baby in? Or do you position baby and then wrap?

I'd suggest either the pikkolo or the baby hawk. THe babyhawk is quite high in the back - nearly everything is in comparison to the ergo, which is quite short in the body.

I have a kleinsmekker mei tai, which is absolutely fabbo.. but hard to get hold of. and uber expensive!!!!

I also have a beco butterfly II which is great, and sooo easy to put them on your back. and the back is quite supportive as well for younger ones.

I have a wrap too that I'm still learning how to put on.. LOL

jaskie Guest

I haven't tried any other wraps so I can't make a comparison with anything else on the market. I have found that as bubs got bigger I have tied it a bit tighter around me to support her weight, this has not made it uncomfortable at all. She is on the smaller side so not a little heffa of a baby!! With the hug-a-bub always tie on first then put in baby. They have a website which gives you step by step instructions for tying, I think it has video?? not sure as I haven't been on it for a long time.