Thread: Calling all serial baby carrier owners.

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

Default Calling all serial baby carrier owners.

I have been looking at so many different types of carriers and now im SO confused! so i thought id ask here...

Im looking for a carrier that wont be too hot in QLD in feb, i had a baby bjorn with DD and it was too hot for her and me.

Something that gives good head support so i can carry baby while still doing stuff with DD without baby getting jolted about too much.

Something that i can breastfeed easily in, again, with DD i was able to sit around a let her sleep in the boob all day, but with a 2 1/2 year old i dont think that will be an option this time so want to be able to do that while still doing stuff with DD.

And not give me a bad back!

Easier said than done??? hope someone who has tried every baby carrier under the sun.....Arimeh ....might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Was just going to suggest Arimeh lol... Good luck!

Just subscribing... cos i wanted to ask Arimeh the same thing! haha!!

I have used a few (hug a bub, mei tai and ergo) and I loved my Mai tai one, called a kozy carrier. It is cotton and easy to use. It us newborn to toddler and I breastfed dd in it from around 5 months (when she was self attaching and had head support etc). I used it all summer, which was a shocker in Melbourne that year (think black Saturday bushfires with days of 43 degrees).

I am getting a new ergo for this bub (I borrowed the other one) because it is more comfy for back carry.

Hth

I like my close carrier because its good for feeding in & carrying but I dont know what it would be like in summer

I'd say the close carrier - even though I'm not an expert

I say the close as well. I used it with DS every day for 5 months. So safe and secure. DS2 was born in December. I just wore a singlet with it and he just wore a singlet and nappy and we weren't hot. The cotton breathes well.

I have bought a close carrier for this bub and hopefully it does the job. I had a bubba sling for DD and she got very hot and sweatty in it so I wouldn't recommend one of those for summer....

Suse is the Queen of carriers LOL. She lives in Cairns, so she should know of some that will be suitable for you.

I have had a close carrier, baby bjorn, ergo, one from the ABA website can't remember what it was called and now a kathmandu carrier. I personally hated the close carrier I got too frustrated trying to use it DD would scream every time she got in it so I sold it on. We used the baby bjorn same thing DD hated it. The exxy one from the ABA website I liked it and DD loved it after a while. My ergo, I tried to use it but I just couldn't get her in it on my back so gave up, and I am eager to sell it. Now we use the Kathmandu one. For me and DH its a dream. I ahve a bad back, 2 bad knees and a bad ankle and this seems to be the only carrier that has helped spread the weight load around.
    I cannot BF in it and it couldn't be used for a real littlie with no neck strength but its so convenient because if we go out I can pack all of DD stuff in the under seat compartment. As its designed as a backpack I haven't found it too hot to wear but we are also not in summer yet

HTH a little bit
    Nae x

What about the new ergo performance. It's made of cool mesh so will suit a hotter climate although you will be using an infant insert from newborn so that could be hotter. It's also more slimline and better fitting and will have all the known benefits and comforts of the ergo - I have a sport here in QLD and that would be my preference above an original ergo. Or I'm thinking if the prospect of wearing a ssc with an insert in summe is too much maybe a ring sling made of a light fabric like the the breeze baby..will double up and take you in the water too. I used a ring sling for four months then Ergo up till now, but regardless of what you have..its gonna be hot! Breastfeeding on the go with an insert will be quite hard but you should be able to do it better in a ring sling as you can adjust easily back and forth and with correct positioning you should have a nice close feel so you can go about your chasing a toddler feeling safe enough

Close carrier will be way too hot for QLD. Actually, anything that doesn't come with built in air-con is too hot for bl***dy QLD (grumble, grumble, stinking hot today). Ergos can be difficult to feed in - SSCs in general can be trickier to feed in as there's less manoeuvrability with the heavier padded waist. And having used synthetic mesh carriers - they are not as cool as natural fibres in high humidity, even if they are breathable and thinner - they trap moist air and feel disgusting in the tropics.

I've been using a Storchenwiege 1/2 buckle quite a bit with my newborn - it's made from wrap fabric so it's soft and light and quite cool, yet really supportive (I wore my nearly three year old in it in the latter stages of my pregnancy with DD). It's height and width adjustable for smaller / larger babies, and the sleep hood rolls up the zips away, which shortens the body for newborns and acts as a head/neck support. The waist is unpadded so it's easy to feed in. I'd recommend it purely on the basis of it ticking all of the boxes of what you need it to do. A good ring sling is also handy to have - I use my ring slings frequently but wouldn't use one as my only carrier. Linen ring slings are great in the heat.

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

Thanks all so much, that really narrowed it down for me, going to have a good look at a few suggested! Thanks again all