thread: Carrier for an 11kg bub?

Feb 2007
    ACT

I do it while straps are lose if i have bubs on front. by putting hands on the behind head.

Dec 2005
    not with crazy people

I dont have an Ergo But I has a side sitting Mai Tia (that so isnt spelt right)

I scored mine brand new off ebay for $17 plus $5 postage and I gotta say...I love it!!!

I just put the straps on around my waist, sit him in it and flip up the back and volla all done!!!!!

Oh and he weighs 13.5kg to...

Oct 2006
    Gold Coast, Queensland

Well, I find that if you have the straps high enough (the ones behind your neck), they are easy to reach.
    And I have to say, I got more than my money's worth from my Ergo. Don't know if you will, depends on your circumstances. But you can always resell it. I have heard their resale value is pretty good.
    I have also heard that the black one can bleach out quite a bit from sun etc. So I got the tan one instead. Something you might consider if you're thinking of reselling down the line. Also, baby spew stands out way more on black,...
    Lol
    Sasa

Sep 2007
    Cairns

But I has a side sitting Mai Tia (that so isnt spelt right)
    No it's not Maz, but it sounds like it should be a yummy drink with a paper umbrella in it mwah babe!

Dec 2007
    Sunny Qld

Sarah - it takes practice. I found that after a couple of goes I knew how to sorta hitch it up whilst leaning over backwards and stretching my arms - all at the same time - I could get it on my own.

Its much easier when they are on the back though - easier to clip it around your chest than around your back!

May 2009

Were you front or back carrying? If you google the ergo website had video instructions on how to put the carrier on in the various positions when I went there a while back. It's easy once you get the hang of it!

Nov 2007
    Southwest Syd

Sarah I find it hard to do the straps too! I don't use mine very often TBH so maybe practise makes perfect. Em doesn't like it much.

Sep 2007
    Cairns

Sarah, you might also find that it's a little easier to do up if you raise the height of the chest strap a little so that it sits a little higher up your back, but not so high that it doesn't provide enough support (I used to reach from the top, not from underneath, if that makes sense. Which way is better for you will depend on how flexible your shoulders are though). It does take a little practice too!

Apr 2006
    In the ning nang nong...

Bought an Ergo online but OMG at trying to clip the strap at the back. Finding it horribly frustrating. And I have trouble swinging Matthew behind me into the Ergo for back wearing. I've only had success by putting him in front without doing the back strap and rotating him in it to the back. I also feel the fabric doesn't provide enough support for him, it doesn't seem to go up far enough. Will keep trying but may end up selling it.

Oct 2006
    Gold Coast, Queensland

Cheekyfrog, I'm sorry to hear you don't really like the Ergo. I have to say I NEVER had a problem with the strap. But the position is crucial. Try sliding it up so it is almost shoulder height. I find it easy to grab that way.
    With the fabric not being high einough, I really can't help. I can't quite picture what you mean either as my tall 2 year old still uses it comfortably and I can't say that the fabric doesn't come up high einough on her.
    Having said that, the fabric is not meant to support the head. Is that what you were referring to?
    Have a bit of a fiddle with the length of the straps and the position of the shoulder strap. You might find a position that suits you better.

I hardly ever wore DD on my back as I like to be able to see her. But once you get the knack it will be easy.

Sasa

Jun 2008
    Tassie

go the ergo! It is wonderful! I found also that the stretchy fabrics in HAB and the close baby were too stretchy and not very supportive with a heavier bub but my ergo is marvelous! And the back carry... well I wore Ashton today while I went for a bush/beach walk for almost 3 hours on my back and it didn't even feel like he was there.
    I honestly can't talk highly enough of them. And I have tried a lot of carriers (HAB, Close, storch, egro, didy, 3 MT's, ring sling and ABA slings)

Jun 2008
    Tassie

Bought an Ergo online but OMG at trying to clip the strap at the back. Finding it horribly frustrating. And I have trouble swinging Matthew behind me into the Ergo for back wearing. I've only had success by putting him in front without doing the back strap and rotating him in it to the back. I also feel the fabric doesn't provide enough support for him, it doesn't seem to go up far enough. Will keep trying but may end up selling it.
    Have you tried the superman toss? Throw him (not litrally) over your shoulder while leaning forward, and put him on your back, then life the ergo up by the straps. There are MANY youtube clips to help with that I back carried Ashton from about 4 months and he loves it. Always goes to sleep. The sleep hood is for their heads not the actual fabric itself

Jun 2008
    Tassie

I do it while straps are lose if i have bubs on front. by putting hands on the behind head.
    Yes I do it the same. Make sure the shoulder straps are super loose, do the clip up then tighten them. This way the clip is actually pretty much on your neck not back, then by tightening the shoulder straps it brings it down.

How can you tell a pram mum from a carrier mum?

The spew on her back

Dec 2007
    Victoria

nice Melly nice

Jun 2009

hi i personally recommend woman wrap as they are more comfortable because they are padded and less weight is on solders which makes them easy to carry

Oct 2006
    Gold Coast, Queensland

What's a woman wrap? Never heard of it.

Jun 2008
    Tassie

I have no idea either. Googled but got nothing. I am gathering the "they are padded and less weight is on solders which makes them easy to carry " means you didn't mean woven. Please enlighten me!

Mar 2007
    Perth, WA

not lik eyou need it but thought i'd pop and and say another yay for ergo.

The straps are a bit of a pain to do up at first but you get used to it and get so you can sling them in in seconds. Also, getting them on your back does get easier - have to admit i haven't tried Isla on my back by putting her in it myself but i used to do Wills when he was around 13 months and could hold on a bit.

I still use it back stylie with Wills when we're bushwalking and he gets tired - and he's 16.1kgs!!!! really feels lots lighter.

Julie x