Thread: Ergo - "new" versus "old" versions

Question Ergo - "new" versus "old" versions

Hi,

I'm finally succumbing to the urge, and plan on joining the legions of ergo-owners!

I'm just wondering whether the new improved version of the ergo is worth the extra few bucks or whether I should save a little and just get one of the older version ones.

I believe there is a small difference in the straps and in how the hood connects to the straps, but am happy to be set straight if I have this wrong!

Is there much difference really? Will I kick myself for being "tight" if I go the old-version option?

Any thoughts/opinions???? Has anyone tried both?

Thanks in advance!

i haven't tried both nelle, but i've got one of the new versions and from what i've seen on the dvd (it has the old version on it) i think the new one looks better. the way you snap clip the hood tails on looks a lot easier.
    how much cheaper are the old ones?

I didn't know you could still get the "old" ones. I've got one of the new ones too and its great, but haven't used the old one so can't compare.

Do you mean the "standard" ones as opposed to the organic ones?

Thanks.

Gracie - I'm not exactly certain, but when I was doing a quick look around at prices, I saw a range from around $145 to $170-ish. Then when I realised there were two different versions, I have just assumed that the cheaper ones must have been the old version. I haven't checked though, so I could be wrong (you know what they say about assumptions!). I'll have to investigate further! Obviously if I can get a new one at a cheaper price that would be the go - especially, if it is easier to use!

Lulu - yes, the old ones are still available (the standard vs organic is a different variable again). I definitely saw some of both as I know at least one of the online stores I checked sold both versions. They have a different chest strap and there are differences with the hood. If you go to the ergo official website they give an explanation of the differences - but as I haven't used either it is hard to know how important the improvements are.

I am starting to think I should just go with the new version - I guess they are called improvements for a reason!!! But I'll certainly welcome any further advice! Anyone else???

Nellbelle - I noticed yesterday the Greenkids website has the new ergos on sale - about $142 I think so maybe you can get a new one for the price of the old?

Talking

Thanks Lulu! I'll defintely be checking that out!

Hi Nellebelle! I don't think there is much difference between the 2 - like most of the others who've replied, I have a new one - but the dvd is the older version. I think it's mainly the clips on the hood/straps. The Ergo is great for older babies and toddlers in the back carry. I don't mind using the infant insert for Sam, but he's decided he's had enough and wants a position where he can see more. For this reason I have just purchased a Pikkolo (another Soft Structured Carrier like the Ergo). I can't recommend it enough!!!! I've been carrying my nearly 3 yo around in it (she's 14kg) no probs, and the bottom of the carrier has a cinch to pull it in so that you can put a newborn/young baby in a Forward Facing In position with their legs out. Sam likes being tummy to tummy with me, and this is the only SSC he can do that in without having to have his legs tucked up in a froggy position IYKWIM. It's worth a look if you're interested in SSC's...

Juliette!! What style/colour Pikkolo did you get??

Thanks again ladies...

A pikkolo hey... hmm.... sounds cool.... I like the idea of forward facing too (runs off to investigate!)

I got a khaki/olive pikkolo from Paulus. It was a desparate situation (read: impulse buy) after spending 5 hours in the Ring Sling that day and having very sore shoulders!! Sam likes to be t2t anyway, so I figured a pikkolo would be perfect. Sam, however seems pretty attached to his RS. The memory foam on the shoulder straps on the pikkolo is awesome. So comfy for me. Hannah loves it too. I'll see if I can put up a piccy of it....never used the BB photo gallery before....

I would have preferred a spa design pikkolo, but Paulus only had the khaki or the square deal. At least DH can wear the khaki one - not too girly. I have to say though, I'm looking forward to my BH arriving - all my carriers so far are waaaaay to practical looking (mostly neutral colours except for the indigo ergo). I might need to get a bright coloured wrap so I don't feel so boring.... lol (could I be grasping at straws for an excuse to buy yet MORE carriers???!!!)