Thread: Front facing out position in sling

Default Front facing out position in sling

My DD will only 'ride' in the front facing out position in any of our slings. I just wondered if anyone knows if extended periods in this position can be damaging to her back or hips? We have tried hip and back positions as well but she's just not keen. As DD also hates the pram and we don't have a car, we use the sling quite a bit. I'm just concerned that it could be doing her some long term damage.

TIA!

What sort of sling is it? If it's one where her legs aren't dangling it's fine. But those Baby Bjorn types are not good for the hips whichever way they are facing. I used a ring sling and loved it. Newborns can lie in it and as they get older they sit in the kangaroo carry (facing out) and later on you can hip or back carry with it also.

I've got a HAB, and a baby bjorn type sling, but we mainly use the Mei Tai. Problem is she loves to have her legs dangling. Maybe I'll persevere to get her to like the hip or back carry.

Thanks for your response.

Hi Claire !

I had the same problem with my daughter, and have solved it with a baba sling. She loves it, I find it comfy and she can see out from any of the positions. I think age helps too - she's five months and now has enough body control to look around, turn, etc. She sits in the hip or front carry very happily in this when she wouldn't in the ones you've mentioned. I gave away my hab for this reason - the onlt carry she'd tolerate was facing forward, which I didn't really like. Hope that helps, and I'm sure you're doing your daughter a lot of good and no harm at all by slinging her!!

Finsmum