Thread: I bought the Ergo

Default I bought the Ergo

Hi all,

Well it was only a matter of time I guess. What can I say ... I'm a baby carrier addict.

We still use HAB but I am finding now that William is so tall that a back carrier would come in handy sometimes, particularly when shopping. With this in mind, I recently bought the Ergo. It is really great and while it looks completely different to the HAB, it is designed along the same principles in terms of weight distribution.

The waist strap takes the bulk of the load. The shoulder straps are wide and comfortable. I took a few goes to master putting William into the back carry position but it was well worth it. The Ergo site also has a video showing you how to do it so you can watch and get guidelines if you feel the written guidelines are not sufficient. He loves it and enjoys going piggy back and being up on eye level with everyone else.

The Ergo is also suitable for younger babies in the front carry position with the addition of an infant insert. It really is quite versatile. I think I still prefer my HAB for those early days though. Nothing like the security of a wrap.

Just thought I would post this here in case someone is contemplating buying the Ergo and wondering how it would go.

Hi Melbo -

I would LOVE to buy an Ergo but I think DH would kill me! But at nearly 13 months I'm having difficulty putting DS in the HAB as it stretches and he sinks further and further down. I work at DH's office two days a week and thought carrying DS on my back would work well when he just wants to be with me and then I could still work - but I'm not sure how well it actually would work. Anyway, I'm keen to hear how you feel the Ergo is working out for you!!

How tall is your DS? I think Sophia would like it too but I really have to justify spending that much money at the moment.

yay aren't they fantastic! i find the HAB way too stetchy for older toddlers.

this time round im prepared for the new bubs, i have ;
    a woven wrap (not stretchy)
    a homemade fleece pouch
    a ring sling (my fave)
    ergo (will prob buy the infant insert!to try)
    but i sold my mei tai in excitement when i got my ergo (well it did help und it!:P)

Hi Ladies,

Eugenia, William is 76cm tall and 11 kilos so when he is in the HAB, he is quite long in front. He is easy to carry in it but it is more awkward with him on my front that way. I wasn't going to buy it either as money is tight at the moment but I saw it on sale and thought I would give it a go. We rely on prams and carriers because we don't have a car so I justified it that way. =)

Heidi, we had our second outing in it yesterday for grocery shopping. I haven't been able to do that on my own for a while as I need to push our little shopping cart to carry the groceries home and can't do that with a pram or a wriggly toddler strapped to my front. =) It worked well yesterday though and would you believe he even nodded off before we got home? I just eased him out of the ergo onto our bed and put him back in the cot and he didn't stir.

Normally when we are at the shops, he doesn't like being in the pram and whinges constantly but I didn't hear a peep out of him yesterday because he was able to see everything and felt like he was involved. Win win all round I think =)

Joh, I'm glad to see someone else is as baby carrier mad as me! I know I'm not alone!

Thanks for that Melbo as I've been tossing up if I should buy one or not
    I'm not sure if I should wait till the next PBC expo so I can play with one at the display

Sammi, good idea about the expo. I think that's a great opportunity to try one out and if you like it, maybe you can get one at a cheaper price.

tiggy Guest

Hey Mel,
    Thanks for that. I have been wondering about getting one for the cherubs because you can't put two babies in one trolley and the HAB isn't working for us, for much the same reasons as yours. Think I will have to invest in one.

i was looking at one today excellent!... i just wish bub could sit front facing! I just think he would prefer this way.. hummm also
    where did you get your ergo on special?

forward facing is not the best possie as it may overwhelm a very young baby and it offers less support, esp. if they are tired.
    i think i read it puts too much pressure on their pelvis/spine facing outwards like that. i cringe when i see babies placed in BB's like that...it look so uncomfy.baby can still look around forward facing:P
    you can do that forward facing position in a pouch or ringsling (not dangling from legs so different) but only for short periods of time, and only for say roughly 3 - 8 months old when they are physically able to face out needing less support, but also not too heavy for it (its not as close to your centre of gravity as them facing/leaning inwards). not too sure about wraps, i still thinks it looks uncomfy.