Thread: Quick sling?

Default Quick sling?

I currently use the HAB for DS, which is great if I'm going to be wearing him for a few hours. But, I would like something that is quicker to use for when I'm just ducking into the shops - rather than having to tie the HAB. He weighs almost 9kg.

here are my suggestions

Ring sling - it's cheap, super quick to put on. It doesn't take up a lot of space so you can leave one in the car. If you are ducking into the shops and won't be carrying for long, it's a great option. Good for hip carry. I still do this with my daughter, who is a petite almost 2yo.

Ergo or similar (mei tai) - more expensive, but quick to put on and can carry for hours. Can do back carry with a 9 month old. You'll get heaps of use out of it, not just for quick trips.

They're my suggestions. You could look at a pouch too, but I've never personally been a fan of pouches so don't feel qualified to comment on them.

The Mamatoto site has lots of info on different carriers and their advantages and disadvantages. They also have directions on how to make your own versions of several different carriers. Here is a link to one of their pages that might be helpful.
    By Position

HTH!

We bought a pouch for that exact reason - it would be too hard to get the pram into preschool for 5 minutes & silly to tie the Moby (like HAB) for a quick trip. Can't comment on what it's like just yet though

Cricket that site was so helpful - thankyou! I'm feeling all inspired to try some new holds now (DS really is getting too long for the front carry I've been doing in the HAB).

Kaos - Thanks for the ring sling suggestion - I'm going to look into the hip carry

Sarah - What pouch did you buy? DS is quite big for his age (8.6kg at last weigh in).

Ezz, also have a look at this thread which has lots of differetn HAB carries

The pouch I got was one from another BB mum & I think it was hand made for her.

I also just got my first ring sling pouch and I LOVE it to death. After only having a HAB, I could not go back. It is so easy and simple to use, super quick and so comfy for bubs. You can carry in so many different ways, breastfeed in it, it is awesome. My brand is Amarillo, but try Bear Hug Baby, hers are great too.

How to Wear Your Sling or Pouch - Baby Slings, Pouches, and Carriers by ZoloWear <-- Great site for positioning too.

I've been having a look on ebay & there are heaps of different ring slings. What makes a good ring sling? River, can you PM me details for Amarillo?

I have the baba sling for quick trips. Found it so handy in the bottom of the pram for those times that she want to be held instead. Can be put on easily whilst holding the little one.

i love my ergo Ezz. i haven't used my hab since the day i bought the ergo, it's just so much simpler to put on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezz View Post
    What makes a good ring sling?
    When looking for a ring sling, I suggest that you get something that you fans out over your shoulder bone, not on your neck or between your neck and shoulder. If you get a sling that you wear on your shoulder bone, you get more support. If you get one that sits near your neck, it will end up stressing out the muscles and you'll get a headache.

So, IMO the baba sling and others like it are not ideal. I had a hatchling that was great, then made my own ring slings as per the instructions on the sleeping baby website (google it, then look for the DIY section).