Thread: Ring sling or Pouch before Ergo?

Default Ring sling or Pouch before Ergo?

I will be buying an ergo sooner or later, and I know that they come with an infant insert, but to me it looks so...dodgy! It seems like bub is going to fall out. And besides I'd like an easier sling to slip on and off quickly to go to the shops for quick trips. I will probably need it for at least 4-5 months before bubs would be big enough for an ergo, though I will probably use the ergo for DD too.

So do you have a ring sling and/or pouch and what do you think is better for a new born?

I would recommend trying out both and seeing what you find is easiest.

Most ring slings are somewhat adjustable so you can wear it, hubby can wear it. I found our ring sling super easy to use once I got the hang of it.

The pouch is even easier but fit is really important and hubby and I can't wear the same one so he doesn't use it. I found our ring sling offered more padding on the shoulder but that depends on the brand you get.

Ergos are great, we got ours at 5-6mths and have never looked back, went from a HAB to the ergo and love it.

I love my ergo with the infant insert. My bub was in there a 1 week and he is really snuggly and warm in it. He loves it, and one thing I like is being able to put him straight into bed from the carrier without waking him up. I just pop him down on the insert. It is great to have him so close to me. You should see if you can find one to try...
    HTH

I used a ring sling and really loved it. With DS1 I found it took a while before it was "easy" but then once I got the hang of it, it was easy, so with DS2 I was right from the beginning. The trick is to follow the instructions carefully - and make sure that bub is on the seam. Then it works well and I found that I mostly could just pull it on and off, I didn't have to do it up from scratch very often.

I agree with Rufalina - the ergo with the infant insert is brilliant. I've had my DD#2 in there from birth and its been great. She is so snuggly warm and is very secure - I can easily have her in the ergo and still bend down, move around etc dealing with DD#1. I've also got a ring sling (and a BB and a HAB!!!) and would definitely choose the ergo above them all right from birth and onwards.

Kellie, I never had my Ergo when Abbey was a newborn, but I did get myself a Peanut shell. I loved it for when she was a tiny newborn. I love that they are hidden in there, away from prying eyes and hands, I love that you can breastfeed bub in it and it's really easy to use too. I still use it now occassionally to hip carry Abbey in it.

Let me know if you want to have a look at it and I will bring it around next time

My babies were/are in the happy group of those who hate the cradle position! So our pouch and r/s aren't useful til they can support their weight quite well and are closer to sitting.
    So Si's been in the Pikkolo (similar type of carrier to Ergo, but not needing the infant insert) or a Mei Tai from birth. I love my Mei Tais (yes, it's plural), find them fantastic for newies, and if you end up with a bub like mine who demand to be carried upright, then they're amazing.

Just thought I'd share that, cos I love my pouch and ring sling, but they're not much use to people with newborns who hate lying down! :P (unless you can manoeuvre them into secure upright positions, but I never could...)

Ok still trying to decide what to do.....to just buy an ergo insert, or to get a sling too, I think I will get a sling too so that I have another option for bubs. I have just been googling pouch slings and have found a peanut shell sling on sale for $70. I have seen one in use (Thanks Trish ) and it looks good. But I found a sling called 'nurture sling' which looks exactly the same but $40 cheaper than the peanut shell, even on sale.
    Has anyone used a nurture sling, or do you know someone who has one? Are they any good?

*BUMP*

Anyone???
    I don't want to buy one and waste my money...even though it's only $35 or so I just don't have it to spend atm and not use the product.

i maded a ring sling it cost the matiaral and rings all up about $25 and time to sew it works well. google how to make a ring sling.

Hope this helps