Thread: Sling, pouch, wrap or carrier... which do you prefer?

Question Sling, pouch, wrap or carrier... which do you prefer?

I'm not even pregnant yet, but am trying to make a sort of list of the things I would like, so I can price and budget and all that jazz.

I defantely want to try to use a sling/wrap/carrier becaues I've heard such great things about them, hands free and lots of cuddles and security for bubs etc. I'd like to try from newborn a well.

I'm just not 100% on whether a sling or pouch or wrap or carrier (like Baby Bjorn).

I love the look of the HAB, looks nie and snuggley and comfy, but I just wonder ow many people actually use them, or just buy them and never use it...

Hmmmm.... so which one do you use, and why do you prefer it? I don't know any people who use a carrier. A friend who just had a bub 6 weeks ago has something like a Baby Bjorn, but I haven't got any feedback from her yet and she's never used anything else, so just wondering, those who have tested a few, which is more conveniant, easy to wear, comfortable etc?

(Sorry if this has been posted a million times!)

I preferred a wrap at the beginning because it is very supportive of the head. The slings can be too but weren't right for my very long DS. Now that DS can sit up I prefer a sling but imagine I will go back to a wrap once I start putting him on my back.

i tried a sling and hated it. Still hate it!

I LOVE My HAB. Its the best best best!

OK - I have to publicly announce that I am a carrier-aholic

I have a HAB which I have used from birth and continue to use. Pro - lovely and snuggly, good head and body support, easy to put on with some practice, very supportive for my back with good weight distribution. Con - it takes a few minutes to put on (but you can put it on before you leave home).

I was given a Baby Bjorn (old style without the back support) which I use too. Pro - quick to put on, easy to get off, can face the baby toward you or outward facing. Con - hurts my back and the weight of the baby is taken on my shouders (but this may be because it is the older style)

I have just bought the ERGO too which I LOVE!!!! Pro - easy to put on, quick to get off, great support for my lower back and the weight is taken on the hips so they don't feel heavy, can carry the baby on my front, back or hip. Con - they can't be faced out if they want to sticky beak.

I would have bought a sling too but thought that was getting a little excessive. HTH

I have a pocket sling (ring on the shoulder style) and absolutely love it. It is a similar thing to a HAB, you can carry baby in a number of ways, front, back and hip. I swear by it because I could wear Jack or Tom in there for ages without hurting my back, and because I can still comfortably carry Tom in it and he is a year old now. It just take practise to use it though. So you could start practising now with a teddy bear LOL!!

i've only been a mum for 2 weeks now, but i love my hab. it has allowed me to do the dishes, hang out the washing and walk my dog on days when ds is really clingy and won't let me put him down. it's a life saver!

i've got a hab and i use it everyday!!

a quick question girls, which is easiest to feed bub using. I know some slings, you can carry and feed bub while leaving your hands free etc? I have two toddlers as well as this bub to be and I'd like to be able to interact with them all at once IYKWIM? I'd like to attatch bub and feed him while my hands are free to play with the girls. They are too young to understand bub's feeding means mummy can't be interrupted. I'd like to be able to carry bub around with me if he's unsettled and still be able to do housework etc. Any advice would be much appreciated!! Thank you lovely ladies!

I also have a couple of questions.

Is the HAB easy to put on (it looks so complicated) and does it get hot in the summer?

I like the look of the Ergo as well - but read that someone thought the newborn insert was not very good? Is it suitable for a newborn?

My husband has told me that he wants his own carrier! No sharing with me - he is so funny. He can't wait to be able to carry the baby around.

the hab is not hard to put on, once you get the hang of it. it only takes a couple of minutes. i'm not too sure about how hot it gets but i took ds out for a walk the other day in it with the dog and it was 30degrees and he didn't get too hot.

katie girl. Take advantage of that hehehe. Let him carry bub when u r out. They get very heavy very quickly hehehe

hate slings ... love the ergo !!! get the infant insert.. and they are best for your back and bubs and can be used till 5 yrs old ..

The HAB can be used in summer (there are alterations in the wearing style) and it is easy to put on. Just a few practice runs and watch the DVD!! Apparently it is easy to feed in too but we had attachment issues so I didn't figure it out. I have fed in the ERGO (with a 4 month old) and that was fine. I don't know about the infant insert.

Leasha

I am particularly unco and not big in the patience department so the hug a bub just wasn't for me. Both me and my partner watched the instructional DVD a few times and just couldn't get it on properly. Had a final attempt this morning and DH wandered into the bedroom with hug a bub on and DD hanging around his waist! Have just taken it back and swapped for a Baby Bjorn. I didn't even need to look at the instructions for that, it is very simple to work out. But can't tell you which is more comfy as haven't used either yet.

But if you're keen on the HAB, just buy it, practice and if you don't like it take it back to the shop and swap for something else. Failing that I think HAB themselves will refund your money if you return it unused. But don't quote me on that.