Thread: Slings and Nappy Bags - So how does that work?

Question Slings and Nappy Bags - So how does that work?

Ok, so this is probably a pretty silly question, but anyway....

I have a Hugabub and would love an Ergo (or perhaps one of those BabyHawks I was just ogling after reading another thread!). I use the HAB around the house a bit, but have never ventured out with it (Ok I did once) as it seems all a little unweildy to be having bub strapped on and also carrying a bulky nappy bag. So I just take the easier/wussier approach of taking the pram and chucking the nappy bag under the pram.

Anyway, enough rambling, and on to my question...

So, what do you lovely babywearing folk manage a carrier/sling and a nappy bag?
    • Do you wear your baby and carry a nappy bag over your shoulder?
    • Do you wear baby on front and a backpack on the back (seems a bit much - like a pack horse really!)?
    • Do you just go minimalist with regards to what you take with you and only take a couple nappies and some wipes? Do you have a carrier that has a pocket for such items??

Ok, I'm sure I'm probably just missing the obvious here, so if anyone could enlighten me I'd be much appreciative, and better able to argue my cause for buying an ergo!

TIA!

Depends what you mean about 'venturing out' Nelle.
    I am a minimalist. I soon learnt that a heavy nappy bag was a PITA and had it pared down asap. However if it's just to the shops or generally out and about the nappy bag stayed in the car.
    If it was a longer day/evening out then generally speaking I had DH to carry the nappy bag.
    Otherwise for stuff I knew I'd be out ages I took the pram.

Often I would walk to mothers group or take a trip to the CBD on the train. Then I would wear DD in the HAB and convert the nappy bag into back pack mode. Yes a bit of a pack horse, but I did tend to keep the nappy bag a light as possible. If I was not walking far though, I would just sling the bag over one shoulder. For awhile I had no choice, DD hated the pram for some reason, so it was easier to carry everything than deal with a crying bub in a pram. Also with going into the CBD, it was so much easier not to be dragging a pram on and off trams. Must admit though the set up really only worked well when she was little.

Ooh another Nelle! I'm going to call you NelleB, I do enough talking to myself as it is...

It really depends on where I am. At the shops, I'll take my Isoki Petite Traveller, fits a nappy, wipes, wetbag (for the nappy, we use cloth), wallet, keys, phone. And clips onto the carrier. So, a smaller lighter bag when I can. It's not usually a big deal to nick back to the car for anything big.

To be honest though, I usually have someone with me for longer trips, it's not often that I'll go to a market, shopping centre and not have a companion who's happy to throw the nappy bag on their shoulder.
    And of course, just ducking into a supermarket, I'll travel light anyway.

But also, it's been awhile, since I'm pregnant! So I'll get back to you in a month or two when I've had some more recent experiences.

I usually just carry around a backpack (small nappy bag) on my back and hug a bub on my front.

I put the nappy bag over 1 shoulder and my head first and then put the sling on over the other shoulder and my head, so the crisscross without digging in as my nappy bag has a padded shoulder strap and my sling sits on the bones of my shoulder rather than the muscles and is not painful. I try to take a single pram if I know i wont be long as Sarah cant be trusted to walk far and i will put Em in the sling. I always have 1 small nappy bag for Sarah and 1 large one for Emma as she will need multiple changes of cloths and bibs and spew rags coz she can spew for australia

Good question! I had wondered the same thing. When bub is tiny & we have short trips (like preschool drop off etc) I was planning on just throwing my wallet, phone & keys into the sling at her feet. Won't work when we use the Moby though!

I really learned to pack light The Ergo has a pocket or you can get a matching bum bag contraption, I think so you may be able to fit purse and keys in that.

Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions.

I'm still not exactly certain what I will do, but it has certainly given me some food for thought!

And, thanks Nelle for the suggestion of the Petite Traveller - I've just had a look and perhaps something like that might be the solution. Although, I'm still hesitant about leaving home without a spare terry cloth nappy or a change of clothes... although I rarely ever end up needing either, I'm sure Murphy's Law would bite me on the butt if I left them at home!

Oh, and BTW Nelle - I think you are the only other Nelle I've ever come into contact with, so that's exciting!!!! There aren't that many of us out there!

Or I could get an ergo with the added on pouch (thanks Raven for letting me know about that), but I think the bumbag might take away a little from the ergo's coolness factor!

Further suggestions are still welcome and much appreciated! I really do want to be a baby-wearer, but just have to sort out the logistics so I stop wussing out and taking the pram.

Thanks again!

Another thought is to use a bag with a super long strap - I know Bear Hug Baby were selling 'sling bags' last time I looked - just simple totes, but with a long strap so nothing's in the way.

As for going out without a change of clothes, extra nappies etc - I wouldn't, but for things like the shops, I can leave those in the car. So, I just take what I know I'll need - wallet, phone, one nappy and wipes - and all those 'just in case' items are a bit further away. I've never been anywhere like the city by myself though, I've always had someone with me to help carry stuff.

Not quite the nappy bag- but I have bought a granny trolley so I can wear my baby while going up to the shops. I figured I'd rather push my shopping around than my baby

PMSL Ren! That's fantastic!

I was a bit of a light traveller. I had a backpack nappy bag that was fairly small but still had room for extra nappies, wipes, change of clothes (for bub) and a cloth nappy. That's about all I ever needed. Few small things in the front pocket. So DD would go in the HAB and the light backpack on my back. I would fit my mobile phone and purse either in the front pocket on the HAB or my pocket or in the nappy backpack. Too easy. Any extra stuff could easily have stayed in the car. We didn't buy a pram that fitted in the car until she was almost six months old so it was only the HAB for trips.

I have been struggling with this myself. DS is not a big fan of the pram - so I generally take him in the HAB - but I hate trying to juggle my handbag (I leave the nappy bag in the car). I switched from my regular handbag (with a short strap) to a kathmandu one (with a long strap) & just wear it over one shoulder - but I find it slips off all the time. So I end up alternating between carrying it & trying to wear it on my shoulder.

Maybe the backpack is the answer? But not very secure for wallet etc... Maybe I need to get a smaller wallet so it will fit in my pocket...

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

I've just bought myself a sling half an hour ago and I was thinking the same thing about the nappy bag. Think I'll just do some trial and error and find what works best for me. You all have given great advice.

The convenience of not having to lug a pram around in a car, on trains, through crowds, in and out of aisles outweighs any concerns I have about being a 'packhorse' LOL!
    My GR8 Expectations nappy bag is ace and I still use it - I slip my wallet and valuables into the back pocket because this rests between the bag and my back...I'd know if someone was grabbing it cos they'd be feeling me up!