Thread: So how does this baby wearing thing work??

Question So how does this baby wearing thing work??

DS is 4 weeks old now and pretty much from the day we brought him home he is very unsettled in the mornings from when he wakes up till his next feed. So about 3 hours. This is hard because I have a toddler too and need to shower, get her dressed, have breakfast (can't actually remember the last time I had breakfast, must have been in hospital!) etc etc.

So I got a 100knots sling (couldn't afford a HAB) and today I finally caved and put him in it. I don't think I've quite got the hang of it yet, he seems to be a bit low in it and it's kinda hurting my shoulder which I know it's not supposed to do.

I guess my question is - how often do I use it? I don't want him to sleep in it all day every day but I put him in it this morning after trying to settle him in his bassinet for half an hour and he was asleep within minutes so i'm thinking there might be something to this sling thing....

Anyone??

I know that wearing Pip will settle him down to sleep, when nothing else works. But I don't use a sling, just a collection of carriers I have. I do think with the slings they are better for bubs' back?

Hi,

I don't think that motherhood should ever be attempted without the aide of a sling! Babies are designed to be carried. Biologically, mum or dad's body is their environment. (Think about baby primates clinging onto mamma's back - but our babies are too immature to cling on and our arms get tired, so a sling is a fabulous aide) Most cultures in the world have developed some kind of a sling, shawl, sarong type of a thing to carry their babies with them. In most of the world women have no time to sit and rock and pat, they just strap the baby on and get on with their lives. When worm properly, weight should be no concern, and babies can be worn for over 2 years. One of my fave slings is the Australian Breastfeeding Association's clip sling - it's cheap! And works well. Just make sure you wear it high and tight around your waist, so it doesn't drag on your shoulders

Barb

Willow - how good are you with a sewing machine?? You can make a HAB equivalent really easily and I have the DVD you can borrow for tying and positions. I don't have sling experience but I used the HAB to work with my football team from 4 weeks and it doesn't hurt a bit. You can also bend over without the little person falling out (or at least feeling like it). I wear Oscar basically every day - it makes my life manageable. Give me a call if you need to.

Michelle - I'm good enough to probably turn one on and that's about it! My mum is a whizz though, she can make just about anything.

I had to use it again this morning because he wouldn't settle and I was a blubbering mess again but I have figured out that I had his head up the wrong end!! Poor little guy didn't seem to be too bothered, he slept for about an hour and a half in it.

I also have a baby bjorn, and I know that a lot of people don't like them, but I used mine all the time with DD and loved it, so I think between the sling and the pouch, we should be right anyway.

I am a carrier-aholic I have the HAB, BB and ERGO (DH won't let me get a sling ) The HAB was perfect for the first 4 months and I didn't need anything else. I now use the BB for forward facing and short spurts. I use the ERGO for longer times (ie a whole day shopping) because of the weight being taken on the hips - much better on my back. I use the HAB now if we are going somewhere and he will be sleeping because it is so soft and comfortable for him and me and it allows me to tuck his head in securely.

The HAB does take a little time to put on but it is worth it if you are wearing it for a few hours. Just wear Logan!!!! It will give you time with DD hands free and keep the little man settled - not to mention keeping his mummy sane You know I am only a phone call and a short drive away if you need anything

Willow i too have a sling but am yetto master it with DD2 she seems to get more unsettled if i put her in it!! Maybe i am doing something wrong.

DD is 6 weeks today (*sniff* so fast) and I have a hug-a-bub and an Ergo. The Ergo has been put aside for when she is bigger, but the HAB is a god send. If your mother can make you one, definitely get her to. The HAB is one of the best things I have ever bought, worth every cent.

I tend to wear Savannah when nothing else seems to be working. At first I'll try the bouncer (LOVE the vibration on it, works nearly all the time now), and if that doesn't work I'll try the swing. If she's feeling clingy though, I'll immediately chuck on the HAB, put her in, do a lap or two of the house and then get the next 1 - 4 hours hands free while she snoozes away. She is so snug - I hang out washing, bend over, make and eat food (she's getting used to crumbs being dropped on her) and sit here happily typing away.

I was using the HAB every day two weeks ago... and now, she seems to be pretty content in the bouncer beside me. I half wonder if the closeness she got from being worn/carried nearly all day has given her a sense of security to just be happy in the same room at the moment.