thread: Tying a sarong to wear bubs?

Mar 2011
    Brisbane's Southside

Tying a sarong to wear bubs?

I really want to be able to wear bubs but all I have available at the moment are my sarongs.

Has anyone used a sarong to wear a newborn before? It seems possible to me but I have no idea how to do it.

I'm planning on getting some material on the weekend to make some proper ones but I don't want to wait until then lol

**Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

I have no idea, personally i would be too paranoid a knot wouldn't hold etc.
    Have you tried googling?

Personally for me i wouldn't risk it, but hey it could be perfectly safe and it might be a new carrier idea.... let us know how you go.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006

google youtube for slip knots and carry chest to chest in a one-shoulder carry.

the knot probably wouldn't be an issue, it's the strength of the fabric that is the safety issue. comfort wise, you will be better with something with some diagonal stretch so it moulds around you and baby. a purpose-woven wrap will be heaps more comfortable for you and baby, but a sarong may well suffice. You just need something tough enough to stand up to some pulling and yanking, as well as the baby's weight.
    There are some fairly cheap wovens around 2nd hand, if price is your concern.

Mar 2011
    Brisbane's Southside

I have googled and I can't really find anything - seems like it would work if you knew how though.

I'm the same at not trusting myself to tie the knots right or something like that. Definitely not worth the risk of trying to figure it out myself!

Jan 2006

search rebozo carry

You were RAK'ed in 2015

Mar 2011
    Perth

I've seen it all over the world, with baby in several different positions in different types of sarong, in the countries that we presumptiously call 'developing' and 'undeveloped.' I never looked closely enough to know how they're tied, though.

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

There are some fairly cheap wovens around 2nd hand, if price is your concern.
    what price would you be looking at?

Dec 2007
    Victoria

PM me you details and I will post you one of mine. I am not using many of them at the minute and no desire to sell them yet, so let me know if you want to try one and it's all yours.

I have more carriers out on loan than not at the minute!

What fabric were you going to buy? Again, the concern is not the knot, but the fabric itself. You might be hard pressed to find suitable fabric from Spotlight or similar.

Dec 2007
    Victoria

what price would you be looking at?
    Anywhere from around $70 up will get you a decent woven.

Jan 2006

a seladang (sp?) is another cheap option. it's like a sarong, but made for wearing.
    yep, 70-100 depending on wrap and length.

Jan 2008
    Brisbane

PM me you details and I will post you one of mine. I am not using many of them at the minute and no desire to sell them yet, so let me know if you want to try one and it's all yours.

What fabric were you going to buy? Again, the concern is not the knot, but the fabric itself. You might be hard pressed to find suitable fabric from Spotlight or similar.
    Aren't you just a beautiful soul!!

Mar 2011
    Brisbane's Southside

I would love to borrow one - that's such a generous offer! Thank you!!

I was planning on getting a jersey knit material from spotlight - I saw that recommended on a site that showed you how to make one.

There are some gorgeous ones around to buy though - the colours are just gorgeous!

Dec 2007
    Victoria

Ah yep. Stretchy will do for a NB and up to a few months, you'll then need to move on to a woven for the support. You will not be able to back carry in a stretchy.

The one I am posting you is a woven, but soft enough for a NB.
    You can get Hug a Bubs very cheaply second hand, about $40, if you still want to have a look at a stretchy.

Mar 2011
    Brisbane's Southside

I thought that wraps where only used for the first few months anyway lol - how much weight can the woven wraps generally take?

I had a look at the rebozo wrap technique and it would be perfect if my sarongs had just a little more length - I can tie them off securely on the diagonal but it's just a bit to short to use the length.

Dec 2007
    Victoria

There are 2 kinds of wrap - a stretchy, made from material that, surprise surprise, stretches (lol) and a woven, which is made from a fabric that is sturdier, doesn't stretch, made of things like cotton, hemp, bamboo, linen or wool.

A woven can be used from NB to 4 or 5 years old, depending on the wrap. The stretchies are for NBs and little bubs, as they are not supportive to carry the weight of a larger baby confortably. You can't back wear with them either as there is a significant falling risk for bubs.

I could carry my 20kg 4 year old in my wovens if I wanted to, they are that strong, the only thing would be your comfort factor.
    this is why the price tag most come with, although it seems expensive, are really not that outrageous when you consider their longevity. I can spend $250 on a wrap, and it will last me at least as long as a $1200 pram.

Get on YouTube and watch some vidoes - search for woven wrap carries. They take some practice, but once you get the knack it is pretty easy.

Some other carriers you might want to look at are mei teis - similar to a wrap but more structured, so less 'wrapping' they just tie off fairly easily and are good for the car.

Jan 2006

oh, the wonderful world of wraps!
    I just 'piggy backed' my 19 month old for school drop off in this little numberheartiness.jpg
    Which is my current fave.

Dec 2007
    Victoria

Love that colour!! What is the wrap?

Mar 2011
    Brisbane's Southside

I'm really looking forward to practicing all the carries - I can't wait to have bubs wrapped up against me. I'm glad they last longer than I thought, it definitely doesn't make the price of them so shocking lol.

I do have a pram but I don't want to use it - we've only used it once since she has arrived and that's because DF insisted. I've just been carrying her around instead - it will be so nice to be able to keep the closeness and have 2 hands again!

I love that photo MadB - she looks so snug and safe.