Thread: $300 v $600 cot

Default $300 v $600 cot

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what would the real differences be between a $300 and $600 cot?? I have just looked at some prices online and can't see a big difference.

I really don't want to buy a cot for $600 but I found one that is currently half price for just under $300 - I wasn't going to buy one yet, but it is hard to resist a bargain.

Hopefully someone with more cot experience can shed some light on this .... (I was given a second hand cot for my first born, so never looked at cots, and no longer have that cot).

Thanks!

We've got a $399 cot and we think it's great. It is safe, has 2 good height differences, drop sides, and it looks good. What more do you need? I've seen some for nearly $100 in shops and I really don't see the point. So long as it meets Aust safety standards it's ok.

We got ours from an Auntie that works at as a volunteer @ an OpShop..
    It was Free & so we had it checked out by a MCHN/midwife friend of the family & she said it was perfect, so we got a new mattress & that's it!!!
    We were gonna paint it, but it is a pale yellow anyways & decided it is fine, looks big compare to little baby, but it's fine..
    It did Maddy & my niece & now Indah!!!

These are the things I looked at when I purchased my cot.
    - Overall stability as a 2yo can really swing on things, especially from the outside trying to climb in to visit his brother.
    - The way the sides drop down. Some have 2 metal clips where as others have no clips at all and you drop the side by leaning on it and pulling up. Personally I thought this was easier as it is a one handed operation when you get used to it.
    - Adjustable height as it's easier on your back if you don't have to bend down too far with a newborn.
    - Castors, though I think most have them.
    - Plastic capping to prevent damage from chewing.
    - The overall look of the cot can affect the price if it is a chunky design.

Another thing I might add is that my particular cot has to be dismantled if it is to be moved out of the room. I don't know if that will be an issue for you but seeing as I've moved several times now it's a pain, and is something I wish I'd had to consider at the time I bought it.

Thanks for peoples thoughts so far

We have a $600 or so cot (Sunbury), and I love it. It has those plastic clips for the sides, which are just so easy to use, and it dismantles in about 2 mins which is great when you have to move it room to room.
    Its a big chunky one, with engraving on it, and while it seemed expensive, I'm happy because it gives my nursery such a nice feel.
    I'd buy what feels right, but juts make sure it has 2 mattress positions, and 2 side positions, and easy to click in sides, and you should be right.
    Fi

I bought a cot for $799, It is a lovely big chuncky country style one, I doubt it will fit through a door without being dismantled, we are going nowhere though, so this doesn't worry us, It has two clips to lower the side, which I like and 2 height settings.

But the main thing that justified the money for us is that it is a 3 in 1 cot. Meaning the sides will come off and rails go on to create a toddler bed, so we won't need to buy one of those later, he can just go straight into a big bed, and then when it is done as a toddler bed, it can then be set up as a nice country style day bed so you get morew than a couple years use out of it.. well worth the money i think

I agree with all the above! Ours was about $300 and then the mattress on top of that (i think it was about $80?). Like Candice, ours can be turned into a toddler bed by taking off the side.