Thread: 10 month old biting everything!

Default 10 month old biting everything!

What can I do?

DS just won't top biting everything in site! It only started this bad for the past week (yes, I know it's only Tuesday, but i'm talking from last Tuesday to this Tuesday)
    He's been biting and pulling at my jumper with his teeth, then picking things up with his teeth (we don't have a dog so he couldn't get anything from that) and now he's full on with the biting.
    Just today, my fingers, legs, shoulders, boob (he's FF not BF'd) and cheek, DHs ear + toes, MILs hand and FILs forehead have come victim to his biting

Is there anything I can do? And why would he be doing it all the time?

DD was a bit like this around the same age, although not quite as bad!! Especially when BF her, she would bite on my nipple really hard and clamp down it was so bad!! (until I taught her a firm "no!") only a few times did she ever bite me to be 'cheeky' and test the waters.... in which case i would put her down and say "no that hurt mummy".

He's teething like crazy so you just need to keep giving him things that he 'can' chew such as cold teething rings (does he like them? My DD never really did!), cold wet wash cloths to suck/chew on, capsicum pieces to chew on, apple pieces to munch on, things that are going to help his gums a bit.

If he thinks it's funny when he bites down you need to teach him that it's not allowed and I would put him down when he bites if he is thinking it's funny and walk away from him. Tell him firmly but gently "no, we do not bite other people it hurts" or something similar.

He's growing up fast LJ!!!!

HTH?

Thanks Ren! I've missed our chats
    He never likes the cold teething rings cold - but he likes them at room temp. Maybe I could just give them to him at room temp? Will that be ok? He was chewing on his high chair table bout 5 minutes ago, laughing at DH.
    In regards to the apple pieces, I'm scared of him choking on them, do I just make sure he chews them properly? I need to buy apples in the first place

It's my fault he thought biting his dad on the ear was funny.. I kinda laughed at DH getting bitten (when I say kinda, I mean I laughed alot) I have said 'No, that's not on' and put him down (that's when he's biting my shoulder and arms)

He is growing up too quickly! Almost a year old, I can't believe it!

And yes, you did help, heaps! Thanks!
    Last edited by ElleJay; August 24th, 2010 at 08:56 PM.

We have the same thing here as well! DS is 9 and a half months and he is biting me all the time in the last week or so. He has also been biting the lounge and coffee table but mainly it's me. I can be playing on the floor with him and then he will crawl away and play and then crawl back over and bite me?! He seems to think it's funny and I have tried just moving him away but it's getting worse. It's funny you say about not having a dog as DS reminds me a bit of a puppy at the moment as sometimes when he bites he kind of growls as well...lol! We don't have a dog either
    I will try more 'teething' things for him tomorrow but am hoping I might get some more tips here as well.
    GL with your DS, if you find something that works could you let me know?

We have a biter too..you should see our coffee table, little nibble marks everywhere! A damp wash cloth seems to work best for DS, I think the texture of the fabric feels nice in his mouth.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

sounds like teething to me too.

for safety, i would offer a whole apple to bite down on, not apple pieces. I 2nd allycat's wet facewasher idea too.

even when you can't see teeth yet, the teeth apparently go up and down inside the gum, ready to make space for the tooth to eventually pop up. my bub had this happen for MONTHS before actual tooth showed up.

Have you heard of the amber teething necklaces you put on bubs?

Thanks ladies

allycat - Thanks, I might have to give him one soon

Gigi - I've heard of them, and researched them a bit and found them to be completely out of our price range. I've always wanted to get one for him, but just never got the $$ for it. The apple idea might be good too - I think I'll do it tomorrow

Happy Chick - Will let you know for sure It's the same here. He'll launch for my shoulder and I put him down and firmly say 'No' but he'll go straight for it once I pick him up again (I don't pick him up straight away - after bout 20minutes)

No worries hun, glad I could help

Like Gigi said, for his age, I would offer a whole apple also, sorry i mentioned apple pieces as that is what DD has but she's a bit older than your DS is.