Thread: 11 weeks and 13hrs between feeds....is this normal?

Default 11 weeks and 13hrs between feeds....is this normal?

Hi everyone,

Corey has just gone 11 weeks, and i am a little concerned about how much milk he has been having a day........for his age he should be feeding roughly every 5 hrs and having a total of 750-900mls daily.....right??????

Well,on Sunday Corey had a bottle at 1.30pm....went to sleep at 5.30pm and didnt wake for his next feed until 2.50am on Monday morning so that meant he had gone 13hrs20mins between feeds. Is this normal???Should i be worried????

What amount of milk did your baby have at this age?

Thanks in advance Leah

Indah is 11 weeks & she drinks almost all day every 3-5 hours & I tend to feed when she wakes thenh play, sing, talk to her & let her play on floor stretch etc, about 30mins, then she starts pulling at her hair & I wrap her, feed her more boob & put her to bed, propbably she sleeps about 1-5-2.5 hours!? then I do it again, at night she has a bath at 9pm, then boob a smaller play cuddle with me & Dh then more boob & to bed around 9:45pm, she tend to wake around 5-6am Most mornings, but has slept 12 hours at a time 3 times so far!???

Sorry not sure if that helps, is he doing it every night????

Hi Barley1, thanks for your reply.
    I tend to do the same as you do with Indah, feed when he wakes then play,stretch, talk etc. Corey is always awake for approx 2hrs, then i wrap him too as soon as i notice his tired signs and he goes straight to sleep.

No he isn't doing the 13hrs in between feeds every night, he normally goes up to 8.5hrs though. Oh and i am bottle feeding, maybe this is why he is going longer between feeds......is it true that B/F babies need feeding more frequently?

Thanks again Leah

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by westy
    is it true that B/F babies need feeding more frequently?
    Yes it is true, breastmilk is more easily digested than formula, so their tummies empty quicker. And for those who are thinking it LOL it's not a perfect reason to switch to formula just to get your baby to sleep more!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Sounds good tho when your tired hey!!! hee hee

Indah is breast fed, but I happily get up to feed her, coz secretly I miss her when she goes to bed!!! But dont tell her or she might wake more often!!!! :-$

When I read the title to this thread I thought, gee 11 weeks is a long time between feeds! #-o

My DS is BF and has been fed every 2-4 hours in the day from the start and nighttimes the max he will go without a feed is 6 hours. But he is a little gutsface that loves his booby. And its difficult to compare babies.

Wow that does seem to be a long time. Is he consistently putting on weight? All babies are different so its hard to compare. My bubby is breastfed and is generally fed every 2/3 hours night and day..sometimes a bit longer in between at night.

Jo

Thanks for your replies.

Jo...you asked if Corey is consitently putting on weight....yes he is but last fortnight he had only gained 350gms which i was abit worried about but the nurse assured me that , that was fine as he has always had a gain just this time it was a smaller gain.I guess if there was any cause for concern she would of told me so.

Corey has had a good day with his feeds today he has had 5 feeds and they have all been between 100-160mls. I know that babies will only drink as much as they want and need and if they weren't getting what they did need....they wouldn't be growing as quickly as they are.....or sleeping as well as he does for that matter.

Sorry to go on .....
    Thanks again Leah