Thread: 12 weeks and sucking Thumb

Default 12 weeks and sucking Thumb

What do I do... Kiara spits her dummy out and sucks on her thumb all the time... she has been doing this for about a week and a half...

I try to put her dummy back in when I see her like that but the next time I check on her, the thumb is back in there????

HELP!!!!

Jesse does it too (13 weeks old). Its either his thumb or pointer finger and thumb.. sometimes he attempts the whole hand. He doesnt do it all the time but does do it. He sticks it in his mouth and plays with it. It doesnt bother me but i can hear when im in the next room and MIL is around.. "get that thumb out of your mouth!". So kinda in spite i say Jesse go for it! Thats not the way to be i know but i think if it comforts him at the moment so be it. I know alot of kids grow out of it. If hes 2 and still doing it then ill get some of that thumb cream stuff but yeh at the moment if it makes him happy...

Nina does this too. She tries to get both fists in. I try the dummy, but she too spits it out and chews on her fist, her thumb, her wrist, even my collarbone lol. Whatever she can fit in her mouth. I'm not too worried about. She used to need it to go to sleep, now she spits it out to go to sleep. Whatever makes them happy I suppose.

Thats so brilliant! Its a godsend when they can self soothe like that. Ive had one thumbsucker out of 4 and she was by far the most easiest to go to sleep everything because she had her thumb.

Jo

Had this problem with DD who is now 2 and still sucking away.
    And looks like DS (10 weeks) is headed the same way - he can't quite get it in there yet but he's trying hard despite my shoving the dummy in every time he even looks like he wants to suck something
    Don't know what to tell you really, there isn't alot you can do about because even if you jump on it every time you see it during the day they will still do it when they're sleeping and during the night.
    All that said my DD did sleep 12 hrs solid every night from 9 weeks and I do think having her thumb easily available had a lot to do with that. I only hope I get that one benefit from DS as well.....

So at this age they can't do any damage to their gums or their teeth froming???

If not then I wont worry about it til she is older!

As long they stop by school age then it's fine. Our CHN says that the majority of kids stop thumb sucking by themselves before then anyway.

thanx Angel... and thanx everyone else...

I wont worry for a few years then!! LOL

yeah, Rylee does it too, not worried about it now - but will keep an eye on it when she gets a bit older. My sister sucked her thumb and has perfect teeth whereas I didn't and have crooked teeth - so go figure???

there was a thing on tv a few months back that thumb and dummy sucking has no long term effect on bubs teeth as long as it is finished by the time they are 6 years, of age

Paige had a callous on her thumb by the time she was a week old LOL. She has always been a thumb sucker and still does it now at nearly 2.5 years old. It hasn't affected the way her teeth come through or her speech, and she only sucks her thumb when she goes to sleep, so it isn't like it is always in her mouth. Now she is at the age she is, we have tossed around getting the nail-biting stuff, but we decided not to worry about it yet. For all we know she may grow out of it.

mum21 Guest

I think it could be a stage, my DS did the same thing. All I did was take it out of his mouth each time I saw it in there and he doesn't suck on it anymore.

Melinda Guest

Ruby is attempting to do the same thing and if I'm in the next room, I can hear her slurping away on her fingers or fist (she's yet to co-ordinate it properly!). I'm not worried about it - whatever soothes her is fine by me.

Fee Guest

My son is starting to like sucking his thumb, or sometimes other fingers. I think it looks cute! I prefer it to dummies.

I'm sure it causes no major problems so I wouldn't worry.