Thread: 13 mo playing at bed time

Default 13 mo playing at bed time

Dylan has always been pretty easy to put to bed... he shows clear tired signs and if you catch him then he goes straight off. For the past few weeks however, he will roll around, jump up and down and laugh in his cot for up to 90 mins (!!) before going to sleep (at his day sleeps and night time!) I don't think I'm putting him down too early, but maybe this is a sign he's ready to go down to only one day sleep (he still has an am and a pm atm...) All the books talk about how to deal with a baby who cries in the cot, but what do I do with this one????

Kirsty77 Guest

Gemma is the same. I sit in the room as she sits in her cot playing and laughing at me. She does this most times that I put her in there. I just sit and don't face her directly and ignore her. If she sits up or stands up I go over and tell her to lay down again. It normally takes her a good 30 mins to fall asleep.

Kirsty - I don't wait in the room or I don't think he'd ever settle! I just go in every now and then to lay him down again. This aftrenoon it took 80 minutes but then he slept for 90 so I guess I shouldn't complain!!

Hi Donella!

I would definitely try and cut down to 1 day sleep. Louis is only on 1 now and he sleeps much better for it. If he has two then he's up until at least 9pm and ends up a grumpy mite.
    When we first started to cut down to 1 (a couple of months ago) he would be quite grumpy in the late afternoon but we just put him to bed by 6.30pm and he still slept through to around 7.30am!
    Now it suits him so well. In the beginning he'd go to bed at around 10.30am and now it varies from around 11am - 12pm.
    Might be worth giving a go because it would drive me nuts having him play around so much - especially at night!
    Good Luck!

Donella I am not sure but I would just leave him in the cot. If he is happy to play in there and then self settles then thats great. Atleast he can self settle.

Maybe try dropping the AM sleep. I know I have no chance of doing that just yet. Jordan is still on 2 sleeps a day, between 9am-10am and then 3-4pm.

Best of luck but sounds as though Dylan is a happy boy so you are doing a fantastic job

Kynan's the same a lot of the time right now with his night sleep. He can be really tired but he'll bounce around in his cot for up to 1hr+ before going to sleep (even though we do have some winding down time before we put him down). I just leave him in there to do his own thing if he's not unhappy. Like Tracey mentioned, I'm just glad that he will self settle now!