Thread: 13 weeks old - sleeps A LOT!

Default 13 weeks old - sleeps A LOT!

Hi,
    My 13 week old son has trouble staying up for more than an hour at a time.
    He goes to bed at around 6pm and wakes at around 7am (with a dreamfeed in there at 10pm). He's back in bed by 8am and will generally have a 3hr sleep, then up for an hour and back to bed for another 3hr sleep. After around 3pm he won't go back down, so we play and go for a walk (he'll sleep in the pram) until it's bed time. The problem is that after about 30-60 minutes he's really grizzly and tired.
    I know he's probably just a sleepy baby (and I'm grateful that he likes to sleep) I'm just wondering if it sounds like he should be up more? Some days I feel like I barely see him.
    All the sleep routines I've read (and I only look at them to get a rough idea) say for his age he should be up for around 2hrs.
    I put him down as soon as I see his tired signs and then I spend most of his sleep feeling guilty that maybe I'm not giving him a chance to get used to being up and awake for more than an hour.
    Am I just fretting over nothing or do you think he's sleeping too much?

Sounds good to me! I wish Ashleigh slept that much at that age, we had very bad time settling her during the day. All bubs are different and sleep different amounts, even now at 21 months there are toddlers in my mums group who'll have 3 hour days sleeps and others (like mine) who have none! They just all vary so much. If he is tired let him sleep otherwise you'll have terrible time settling him once he gets overtired. From memory I think its around this 3 month mark that they do start to 'wake up' and become more awake during day.

Natalie, it sounds ok to me. All babies are different with their sleep needs. My first DS did not need, or have, a lot of day sleep after about 12 weeks. DS2 can (and mostly does) sleep for 4 hours during the day and 12 hours at night even at 21 months! At 13 weeks he was a lot like you describe with your DS.

I have noticed that DS2 has reached milestones a bit later than DS1, and took a bit longer to be talking. I put this partly down to him being number 2 and having less dedicated time with me, and partly down to him sleeping more during the day and getting less stimulation/learning time. But he has caught up and is doing really well for his age, so there is no harm done. It is just one of the many things that is different between the boys.

My bubbies were all sleepyheads, too. Tom used to ask if they were broken. I was told that jaundice babies are very sleepy, but none of mine had this issue.

If you are really concerned, talk to a good MACH nurse otherwise, enjoy it while it lasts!

How lucky you have such a settled baby. if he is still sleeping overnight wihtout too much fuss honestly I would kiss him and say thank you for making your life easier - we often spend more time trying to get them to sleep than they sleep during the day!!!

Thanks for the replies - I guess the thing that I am most worried about is the lack of interaction and therefore lack of learning because he is asleep so much.
    I think he's probably a little behind in milestones (I told myself that milestones don't matter and not to take notice - but I couldn't help it, I took a peek at what he's supposed to be up to!).
    He has started chatting but only to selected people and you have to work on him to get him going (he's not a baby that gives out smiles willy nilly!).
    Might just be him. Time will tell I guess!

Lots and lots of brain development goes on when baby is sleeping so you have nothing to worry about lack of learning- you are actually very fortunate. Forget milestones. I would be grey if I followed them. My Dd has just rolled at 6 months and all the books say from around 4 months. Regarding awake time my DD can still only manage 2 hours at a time before she goes back to sleep so don't worry. I thought at your DS's age it would be 1 to 1.5 hours. Sounds like you are doing a terrific job.

frazaled1971 Guest

my baby boy is also 13 weeks and sleeps heaps (i just count myself lucky)
    sam wakes at about 8am has a bottle back asleep by 9am wakes for next feed at 11 or 12 back asleep by 1.30 wakes for next feed at about 4pm sometimes stays awake for an hour or 2 back to sleep till 7pm has another bottle and a little chat back in bed by 8.30 and i dont hear from him till 8am the next day .He is a smiley bub and loves a chat he just likes his sleep ,dont worry just think once he starts teething you will be wishing these days back lol.