Thread: 16 month old and sleep

Exclamation 16 month old and sleep

need some advice re my 16 month old!!

she's always been a great sleeper until recently, the day sleeps are becoming a battle, she's been having 2 sleeps but as things went pear shaped i decided to try her on just one sleep, problem is she only sleeps 30-45 mins, which im my opinion is not enough!!
    she sleeps extremely wellover night going 12-12.5 hours so no complanints there!!

so anyone have any advice or tips???
    i currently leave her in her cot for 1.5 hrs no matter if she only sleeps 30 mins, now dont think im bad, but she rearly whinges just babbles!

TIA

ETA should add that im trying to keep the same routine, lunch , milk then bed
    Last edited by Olive; March 8th, 2008 at 12:17 PM.

What time are you putting her down? It might be too early for her

Jesse dropped back from 2 to 1 day sleep about that time. He starts to get grumpy around 11.30am usually so i give him his lunch then and not long after he goes to bed. He sleeps for about 2 hours or so however. Is you DD grumpy when she wakes up or until she goes to bed again at night? If she isnt then i would say the amount of sleep she is getting during the day is sufficent for her. If she is grumpy i would just do what youre doing. I do a similar thing with Jesse of a morning. If he wakes before 7am, i leave him in bed until that time at least. I dont think its a bad thing at all, more setting a routine. Even though your DD may not be sleeping when you do that for her during her day nap, at least shes having some quiet time.

thanks guys, im trying to put her down around 11.30, have been wondering going to bed on a full tummy is not good as at nighttime she had dinner around 5pm, bed at 6.30 or 7, she sleeps til around 7am
    kell she's not grumpy after her sleep but i am!!! just need longer than 30 mins to myself during the day, selfish i know!!

Not selfish Jols! I know how you feel Sorry I can't help you.

This may or may not be useful to you, but I find that if my DD is quite tired she will sleep for less then if I get her to bed before she gets overtired (even if she is not getting grumpy etc..) I put her to bed at 10 - 10.30 (she wakes at 8am!!!) and if I try to streach her morning nap till 11ish I find she will only sleep for 30 mins..

She may well be lying in her cot awake from 10.30 to 11am but she never resists and she doesn't babble so I figure she is winding down and then putting herself to sleep

thanks iberru, how old is your DD??

were going to the park in the morning so hopfully that will wear her out, maybe i'll try putting her down at 11am after a snack and some milk but before lunch

Quote Originally Posted by AJP View Post
    ! just need longer than 30 mins to myself during the day, selfish i know!!
    Goodness me thats not selfish at all.. i so know that feeling...

I hope you can get her to sleep longer.. Its one of those things you need.

maybe she's just dropping a sleep... if she's not grouchy about it then go with the flow.

i think everyone grizzles when they dump a sleep... it's less time for you, but before you know it you've got a new routine and everyone's happy again

thanks nic!!

danielle, she's currently dropping one sleep to just have to one, to be honest she's not grumpy at all after only having 30 mins!! thats me!

Hmmm, maybe she's decided thats all she needs.
    If she is having 12- 12.5 overnight then her day sleep (altho short) the amount in 24 hours still add up to an average amount sleep for her age. If she is waking up happy then I'd have to assume that thats all she wants.
    But that sucks for you cause I know what you mean, I so need that time when DD is asleep and hate the days she decides to have just a short sleep.

It does sound like she's ready to drop that 2nd sleep. My DD did that at 10 months, and at first her day sleep was short, but over time it extended, and is now between 2-3 hours. And she'll sleep roughly 13 hours overnight.

thanks shell! and jodi thats what im hoping for, the sleeps will extend over time to be longer!

My DD is almost 16 months old... I thought she was ready to drop to one sleep a few months ago however she was only doing 30 mins - we probably tried it for about 2 weeks or so (nightmare!!!)

I found once I put her down a little earlier it all seemed to "work out" again..

Curently our day goes:
    * wake about 8am (lucky I know) breakfast, outside play with this fantastic little water table thing she received for christmas - she plays with it almost daily (I have seen something similar at ToysRUs for about $30) she will then walk inside herself, we watch the end of playschool together (sometimes she will have a light snack, depending how breakfast went) then milk and bed at 10am - 10.30am.
    * lunch at 12 then an outing to the shops or a play at home, milk and bed at about 2.30pm
    * snack, more play, dinner at 5.45pm big play with Dad when he gets home, bath at 6.30pm, milk (perhaps 10mins of a fave taped episode of playschool which she watches cuddled up to Dad - she loves the songs which DH and I sing along to and/or reading some books) and bed just before 7.30pm

I know lots of bubs have dropped that second nap by now, but at the moment this is working for me especially as baby number 2 is due in a weeks time (eeekk!!!!)

thanks again iberru! we've been tothe park this morning and fed the ducks, home for a snack and milk and she's in bed at 11.10am so will see how we go today!

ETA well she was asleep by 11.30 and slept for an hour, so getting better, lets hope this continues!
    Last edited by Olive; March 9th, 2008 at 01:33 PM.

Default update!!!

as of friday we went back to giving sophie two sleeps!! best thing we ever did!! she obviously wasnt ready for one just yet, have around 50 mins twice a day, today for daddy as i was at work she had 50 mins then 90 mins!!

Funny little hings aren't they ?!?

That is exactly what happened with us, we trialled one day sleep for a little while and then when we went back to two sleeps she was sleeping better then ever...

My DD is still doing the two day sleeps although they have just recently started to get shorter again (about an hour each nap) still quite decent so I am not complaining!!

It is just so nice to have two "time-outs" during the day....