Thread: 17 month DD who gets out of seatbelt...What to do???

Default 17 month DD who gets out of seatbelt...What to do???

Howdy

My 17 month old girl has just started taking her arms out of her car seat
    harness (6 point regulation etc)

So I tightened them right up, I can only get a finger or two underneath....now she has started getting out of that too!

She doesn't go anywhere, just leans forward or sits there but in a crash, she would be flung out easily!

Does this happen to anyone?
    Any products out there?
    Any ideas?

Cheers,
    mandy

there is a strap that can go in between the arm straps... not sure what its called you should be able to get it froma baby shop though

Yep its called, Infa - Securap. It prevent toddlers from slipping the car seat harnesses off their sholders and getting their arms out. You can get them for under $20 including postage online.

I agree with the above. Both my kids did this around that age too, little devils!

I've seen them in Big W too if that helps.

Ahhhh yes my DD1 did (and does still) get her arms out..we bought one of the securaps...NO GOOD! She still could get out. We tried alot of things but nothing worked. She is now 28 months old and still does it. My MCHN said everyt time she does it, stop the car, put her arms in and explain the risks and why she has to keep her arms in.

Although i think she hears me say Chelsea..Arms in NOW....and she puts her arms back in..LOL

You also need to teach her that it's not ok. I used to stop the car as soon as I possibly could and get out, put their arms back in and tell them it was NOT ok and to KEEP their arms in.
    Now they don't do it, if they did all I would have to do would be shoot them a look lol

Pip does this too will look for the secureastrap today

DD has done it twice the first time I didn't see her do it but the 2nd time I saw her it do it so told her firmly no and she hasn't done it since.

Stop the car and refuse to go again until she is in her seatbelt...this also works for older kids who have learnt to unclick the buckle.

Great advice guys- I appreciate that heaps!

Have started stopping and using stern voice but I think I might try the strap too.
    I was thinking of just putting a strap of velcro on there myself but not sure of success....

cheers everyone
    mxxx