Thread: 2 year old flying

Default 2 year old flying

We are planning on going to Tassie over Christmas time with both bubs. Lucie turns 2 in August but is little. Anyway, is it under 2 to fly free? How do they check age? I'm trying to be sneaky and save on her airfare, she'll sit on DHs lap anyway. Anyone done this before?

hehe... I think it's under 2. I think you just pay taxes or something? I dunno how they'd check age on a domestic... we're going to Singapore in December, so that'll have passports... no sneaking there! hehe. (DS will be under 2 anyway )

Soph, I'm not sure but isn't it under 3 that they are free?
    I took DD when she was 2 to QLD and she was free and sat on my knee. They were great, they bought her out a little meal and everything even though she hadn't paid for a seat and i was going to share mine with her.
    Ashy had a ball flying, she loved it!!

Here ya go - from the qantas site:
    A child is a passenger aged between 2 and 11 years inclusive. An infant is a passenger aged up to 23 months inclusive.

Internationally:

Infants who do not occupy a separate seat are carried for 10% of the applicable adult fare.
    Each infant under 2 years must be accompanied by a separate adult.
    Children over 2 years must occupy a separate seat.
    All children and infants must have their own tickets, whether or not they are occupying a separate seat.

Domestically:

Children under 2 years of age who do not occupy a seat are carried free of charge.
    Each infant must be accompanied by a separate adult.
    Children over 2 must occupy a separate seat.
    Children under 2 can travel on their parents tickets unless a separate seat has been booked and a fare paid.
    If an infant is less than 7 days old or not in good health, then medical clearance is required for travel.

An infant can occupy a seat if the applicable child's fare is paid. The infant must be able to sit upright without assistance or travel in an approved Child Restraint (car seat).

They tell you to take a birth certificate for infants as they might check the age. Last time DS flew domestically they didn't ask to see it, but he was not even 18 months and small for his age. An older child they might ask to see it.

I think Rex class a child from 3 years of age so you wouldn't have to purchase a ticket if you flew with them. When we have travelled with Mackenzie we have never been asked for proof of age but she was always under 2. She was bigish looking for her age but they never asked.

Yup, they do ask you to have the child's birth certificate if they're around that age. Perhaps it's worth ringing the call centre of whomever you plan to travel with and asking if it is possible for the child to sit on your lap.

When I travelled with Maggie I was asked once for to see her birth certificate on the return trip, so make sure you take it with you.

I just flew to Melbourne and didn't bother to bring a birth certificate to proove Ella is under 2. I went with Virgin Blue and wasn't asked at all.....but then again Ella is only 18months and looks like she's about 10 months - lol! It does seem silly to have to pay for a whole seat if she's likely to sit with you or DH anyway - and she is small. I'd see what they say.

Thanks guys....reckon i'll end up having to pay.....rules are rules i suppose

It is under two & yep they check the birth certificate if they are toddling. When Zander was smaller & in the carrier no questions were asked, but when he was walking they checked.

We are flying to Newcastle tomorrow. DD is only 11 weeks and thry told me i MUST bring her birth certificate to prove she is under 2. Im like WTF? she is a baby.... dont even look like she is 2... but oh well.

i have never had qantas ask for any id for kids no matter the age (domestically anyhow), virgin usually say the medicare card is fine (to prove they are your kids) but haven't flown with them around the border line just before 2 time so don't know whether they are after proof of age then or not (know it is in their policy though) but jetstar have always asked for birth certificate when flying domestically. To give you an idea how many times we've flown my 8 month old has been on almost 20 flights and my 3 year old i've well and truly lost count.
    Rex is under 3 year is free but if the company carrying you is another regional carrier that has only recently been taken over by rex you may find that they may have different policies where only under 2 are free. You could probably argue your way around this though if you booked online (where it doesn't indicate that you are carriered by a subsidary nor does it outline subsidary policies
    Last edited by jaspen; February 15th, 2007 at 04:25 PM.

Kim, you'll find that because when you book it's just for an infant under 2 years, so they ask you o bring it with you. I'd say though when they see how little she is it'd be unlikely for them to ask for ID.

LOL id wanna hope they dont question her age Sarah!!!

Kim, I flew with Maddy when she was 9 weeks old and then again when she was 6 months old. Neither times was i asked to show proof. When I purchased my tickets I queried on their helplines and they said to bring her birth certificate but it was more of a 'just in case' scenario.

I'm not sure about you, but I sent in a request for Maddy's birth certificate within 2 weeks of her being born. I STILL hadn't received it when I flew so I just took her Queensland Health red booklet (I think it's blue or another colour for NSW & VIC?) which the hospital filled out with her birth details including signatures of midwives. The lad on the helpdesk phone said it would be sufficient but he didn't think anyone would ask.

I have flown Virgin with Aidyn twice, and the first time he was under 2 - so was free. They did ask to check his birth certificate though at check in.